Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 12-06-2018 11:16 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Stormed
Pioneer
Options

I emailed Samsung and the BBC about HLG on iPlayer using the KS7000. If your interested in the responses -

Samsung said:

We appreciate that you provided us a link for the forum related to the other enquiries from our customers regarding the HLG support which we can also review. Please be advised that we have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for broadcast services only as promised including your given TV model. This does not include UHD HDR HLG content delivered via the BBC iPlayer application as this is not a broadcast service. Since BBC iPlayer is a third party application, it is the application provider that dictates the specific features or version that will be applied in any of our Samsung products. It will help to seek for assistance with BBC to confirm on the TV models which are currently supported with the BBC iPlayer app with HLG. As of this time, we have no plans to enable the UHD version of BBC iPlayer on 2016 UHD or UHD Blu-ray players.

The BBC said:

I understand your disappointment for being unable to access UHD streams on your Samsung KS7000.

We thank you your interest. This is a trial to help make sure all audiences can enjoy the next generation of high quality TV in future. It’s still a work in progress for Ultra HD and HDR content and we’re working closely with the industry to make sure our content is as widely available as possible. The experience and data gathered from this trial will help the BBC to optimise UHD delivery in the future.

The trial also helps the BBC and wider industry prepare for a time when delivering such large-scale events in such high quality, for larger audiences, over the open internet is normal. The BBC sees an important distribution channel in the future.

I know this is disappointing but hope it helps to clarify the situation.

We have certainly taken on board your concerns and have shared them with the teams behind BBC iPlayer services and BBC Senior Management.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Sure thing -...

@many thanks @dunwell. I have a 55inch JS8000. I tried the Roku SS+ earlier in the year and was profoundly underwhelmed when comparing the BPII UHD to the HD recordings I'd made on my Humax. They both looked the same sharpness so I returned the Roku. I'm not convinced yet that I should give it another go. I'll wait to read what people experience with this World Cup test.

Again, many thanks for your input.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Not testing like for like, the MU is a mid-range set with a completely different SOC and Tizen version. 

And no point testing with the Football loop when it's using BBC's proprietary implementation of HLG.

Er, you do know that the BBC was one of the two creators of the HLG standard?

The BBC's implementation IS the standard. :smiling-face: :smiling-face:

This is true, Dr Tickler, this is true. And the BBC-NHK experiments in the weird and wonderful wrt to TV Standards goes back at least 35 years.

Lest we forget it was their fruitful and bountiful mucking around in the garden that gave us the first steps into 'High Definition' TV decades before it became a household standard (and I believe then one of the tests was a Trooping The Colour) in the mid-1980's.

There's even a museum to Hi-Vision in Tokyo should you wish to go. :winking-face:

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Not testing like for like, the MU is a mid-range set with a completely different SOC and Tizen version. 

And no point testing with the Football loop when it's using BBC's proprietary implementation of HLG.

This is true, Dr Tickler, this is true. And the BBC-NHK experiments in the weird and wonderful wrt to TV Standards goes back at least 35 years.

Lest we forget it was their fruitful and bountiful mucking around in the garden that gave us the first steps into 'High Definition' TV decades before it became a household standard (and I believe then one of the tests was a Trooping The Colour) in the mid-1980's.

There's even a museum to Hi-Vision in Tokyo should you wish to go. :winking-face:

Now now boy's. 

0 Likes
Eliotrw
Explorer
Options

Just got a roku and quite pleased woth device. Got the pop up on iplayer about 4k so goood sign too

Anyway

I see a lot of mention of test loops? What are these and how do i play the football one in my tv

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Eliotrw wrote:

Just got a roku and quite pleased woth device. Got the pop up on iplayer about 4k so goood sign too

Anyway

I see a lot of mention of test loops? What are these and how do i play the football one in my tv

In iPlayer go to Settings.  Select 'Try new features in iPlayer BETA'.  Then select iPlayer BETA'.  iPlayer will restart.  Go back to Settings and Try new features in iPlayer BETA.. Select 'Play UHD test loop' which is the football.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Now now boy's. 

Oh no, Dr Tickler knows I'm just having a larf, but my point is that there's the 'BBC' way of doing something that by and large differs from the way everyone else does it.

The only way to describe it is like driving a left hand drive car on UK roads, a lot of it on the surface feels counter intuitive, but when you get into it, it works for them. The way they have the radio mixing desks set up for example: totally opposite to the natural way you expect them to work. 

I've no doubt it helps give Samsung some wriggle room that they can blame iPlayer for the problem because of this.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Stormed wrote:

I emailed Samsung and the BBC about HLG on iPlayer using the KS7000. If your interested in the responses -

Samsung said:

We appreciate that you provided us a link for the forum related to the other enquiries from our customers regarding the HLG support which we can also review. Please be advised that we have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for broadcast services only as promised including your given TV model. This does not include UHD HDR HLG content delivered via the BBC iPlayer application as this is not a broadcast service. Since BBC iPlayer is a third party application, it is the application provider that dictates the specific features or version that will be applied in any of our Samsung products. It will help to seek for assistance with BBC to confirm on the TV models which are currently supported with the BBC iPlayer app with HLG. As of this time, we have no plans to enable the UHD version of BBC iPlayer on 2016 UHD or UHD Blu-ray players.

The BBC said:

I understand your disappointment for being unable to access UHD streams on your Samsung KS7000.

We thank you your interest. This is a trial to help make sure all audiences can enjoy the next generation of high quality TV in future. It’s still a work in progress for Ultra HD and HDR content and we’re working closely with the industry to make sure our content is as widely available as possible. The experience and data gathered from this trial will help the BBC to optimise UHD delivery in the future.

The trial also helps the BBC and wider industry prepare for a time when delivering such large-scale events in such high quality, for larger audiences, over the open internet is normal. The BBC sees an important distribution channel in the future.

I know this is disappointing but hope it helps to clarify the situation.

We have certainly taken on board your concerns and have shared them with the teams behind BBC iPlayer services and BBC Senior Management.

Thanks for posting that, we can all see that it's wholly Samsung who are stopping UHD HLG from happening. Also, it cannot be said that the world cup trial is not going to constitute a broadcast service delivered over Iplayer.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
Couldn't it be argued that the word cup being broadcast live is a broadcast feed therefore if that is the case then is there not a case for misrepresentation?
Paul
0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:
Couldn't it be argued that the word cup being broadcast live is a broadcast feed therefore if that is the case then is there not a case for misrepresentation?
Paul

They've couched what 'broadcast' means in legalise. To them 'broadcast' means OTA, which technically speaking they've done that (or so they say they have).

The issues with iPlayer are with the BBC's implementation and that's why I've said it's proprietary as it relies on the BBC enabling support for the KS series at their end as well.

0 Likes