Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 10-06-2018 01:50 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@rozel Both his fury should report it and also his 2017 mu6400 will state the gamma being received if it says HLG it’s good game if it says st2084 then the Roku is not handling it correctly

cheers

tarbat
Voyager
Options

On a KS8000 TV, when playing HLG from the HDMI input it should show HDR UHD on the TV’s info banner.

DA9A478E-1F2D-4063-A16F-FD16C83519F2.jpeg

No mention of HLG, but it is HLG.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

On a KS8000 TV, when playing HLG from the HDMI input it should show HDR UHD on the TV’s info banner.

But how do you see that whilst playing a YouTube video.  Pressing the info button whilst playing doesn't bring anything up, whether playing or in pause.  And it still doesn't show if it's HLG.  Backlight moving to max 20 is the only way that I know of which confirms if the TV is playing HDR. 

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

As long as Amazon deliver tomorrow, I’ll test the Roku Stick+ then. My HDFury displays what HDR Infoframe it is receiving, so I should be able to see what the Roku outputs with various EDID settings and both my 2018 Samsung and my KS8000.

rozel
Voyager
Options
Should've been a Prime member cos they deliver Sunday's - only kidding lol. I cannot wait for your findings, but would love to know how you bring the info banner up whilst playing a YouTube video
0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

But how do you see that whilst playing a YouTube video.  Pressing the info button whilst playing doesn't bring anything up, whether playing or in pause.  And it still doesn't show if it's HLG.  Backlight moving to max 20 is the only way that I know of which confirms if the TV is playing HDR. 

As I said in my post, that’s with an HDMI input sending HLG, so it’s not whilst playing a YouTube video.  I haven’t found any way within the TV to see what gamma curve is being used.  On 2018 TVs you can see what gamma curve is being used in the Picture Expert Settings.

BTW, if you want to see what Colour Space is being using, go into the Picture Expert Settings, and under AUTO if RED has RED = 24, GREEN = 10, and BLUE = 3, then it’s rec.709. If instead RED = 50, GREEN = 3, and BLUE = 0, then it rec.2020.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:
Should've been a Prime member cos they deliver Sunday's - only kidding lol. I cannot wait for your findings, but would love to know how you bring the info banner up whilst playing a YouTube video

Not in the far north of Scotland unfortunately.  I am a Prime member, but we don’t get everything we pay for up here 😞

rozel
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@rozel wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

As I said in my post, that’s with an HDMI input sending HLG, so it’s not whilst playing a YouTube video.  I haven’t found any way within the TV to see what gamma curve is being used.  On 2018 TVs you can see what gamma curve is being used in the Picture Expert Settings.

BTW, if you want to see what Colour Space is being using, go into the Picture Expert Settings, and under AUTO if RED has RED = 24, GREEN = 10, and BLUE = 3, then it’s rec.709. If instead RED = 50, GREEN = 3, and BLUE = 0, then it rec.2020.

Thanks but much too complex for me :smiling-face:  All I want is to see the banner, whilst playing a YouTube video via my Roku+, which is plugged into to HDMI 4 on my KS9500 TV

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

So just press HOME, and re-select HDMI4. That should show th info banner.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Hmmmm - not going to ask about the other benefits of Prime but I haven't found any as yet

0 Likes