Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 09-06-2018 11:53 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@chopples123  thanks for clarifying this.  But wwill BBC I player provide a way for us to watch 4K SDR ? 

Not from the native KS or JS TV app, but from a Roku+ or similar, yes. (HDR for the KS..... SDR for the JS)

rozel
Voyager
Options

I'm still waiting to hear from my trusted source about the HD Fury.  But because I'm always confused (lol) If I were to buy an HD Fury now, is there anyway to test it before Sky start transmitting HDR / HLG ?  I have a Roku + and am wondering if I got a Fury, connected to the Roku + somehow, would I receive the UHD Trial stuff as well as the Football Test Loop?  Just wondering as my mind wanders :smiling-face:

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

I'm still waiting to hear from my trusted source about the HD Fury.  But because I'm always confused (lol) If I were to buy an HD Fury now, is there anyway to test it before Sky start transmitting HDR / HLG ?  I have a Roku + and am wondering if I got a Fury, connected to the Roku + somehow, would I receive the UHD Trial stuff as well as the Football Test Loop?  Just wondering as my mind wanders :smiling-face:

It wouldnt make a diff with the roku+ mate, HLG wont be stopping the planet earth trial playback on that device. the only way to check is to buy an additional external device capable of playing back HLG content such as https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/4k-uhd-digital-rece... and then either access a HLG broadcast (which is difficult unless you have a dish pointed at the right place) or get a HLG test clip like this http://4kmedia.org/travelxp-4k-hdr-hlg-sample/ put it on a stick and play that through the sat receiver. Alot of expense though to just test with.

cheers

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

I'm not clued up the the technical aspects, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.....

My ks plays the LG Jazz HLG demo from a usb stick.

Is there a method of taking an HLG quality feed from an HDMI connector (V6 box, say) and plugging it into a box of tricks that will output via a usb interface? That would work?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@edindundee wrote:

I'm not clued up the the technical aspects, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.....

Is there a method of taking an HLG quality feed from an HDMI connector (V6 box, say) and plugging it into a box of tricks that will output via a usb interface? That would work?

It might be the sample is HDR which the ks is ok with over hdmi. 

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@edindundee wrote:

no mate  he is playing HLG via the internal player using a USB stick which we know works, he is talking about converting a HDMI HLG signal to a USB signal with the TV can read, this cannot be done

cheers

cheers

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

Hi fellas I have seen a few posts mentioning hdr10

live broadcasts in 4k hdr are typical filmed using Sony cameras which use a different proprietary form of hdr, called s-log I think, as TastyBurger666 states for hdr10  they will have a production truck with something like this https://www.proav.co.uk/sony-hdrc-4000-hdr-production-converter-unit which can convert s log to hdr10. There willl either be another truck converting to hlg or the bbc will receiving the s-log and doing the conversion themselves (which is possible given the limited formats available in the trial) 

edit... this is all specific to the World Cup

That sky document mentions hlg10 I didn’t even know that was a thing tbh but I would be surprised if they had hdr10 capable production trucks on site every week for every epl game, the costs couldn’t be justified

edit... Sky and BBC will be using cameras which are capable of outputting both HLG (2100) and SDR (709) which is another reason HDR10 is likely to be unavailable. details of the capture method is in the royal wedding article https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-05-ultra-high-definition-dynamic-range-royal-wedding-uhd-hdr

cheers

Yes, that's right for the World Cup, they have 2 of those units doing the post Gallery converstion before the feed gets sent to the MAX server.

They ARE sending a HLG feed OTA via Satellute though if you wanted to try and capture that. 

dunwell
Voyager
Options

The “box of tricks” you are referring to is exactly what an HD Fury does (amongst other things)

it doesn’t plug into the USB port of your TV though, it uses HDMI (input and output). 

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

They ARE sending a HLG feed OTA via Satellute though if you wanted to try and capture that. 

cool didnt know this mate, my dish should be big enough to pick up the feed, doubt it will be FTA, if it is encrypted fingers crossed its BISS or old tandberg

cheers

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@edindundee wrote:

no mate  he is playing HLG via the internal player using a USB stick which we know works, he is talking about converting a HDMI HLG signal to a USB signal with the TV can read, this cannot be done

cheers

cheers

Sorry getting my hdmi and USB mixed up. 

0 Likes