Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 07-06-2018 12:43 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Perhaps the resolution here is for @AntS to reiterate to Samsung engineers we KNOW and have PROVEN that the set is capable of displaying HLG content, bar for the EDID bug.

Would it be a simple case getting engineers and enthusiasts in the same room, 'bang some heads together' and getting the new firmware written - if we can get Samsung onto OUR page, they'll see that this simple fix might - MIGHT - go someway to restoring some faith in the company and their customer commitment.

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Perhaps the resolution here is for @AntS to reiterate to Samsung engineers we KNOW and have PROVEN that the set is capable of displaying HLG content, bar for the EDID bug.

Would it be a simple case getting engineers and enthusiasts in the same room, 'bang some heads together' and getting the new firmware written - if we can get Samsung onto OUR page, they'll see that this simple fix might - MIGHT - go someway to restoring some faith in the company and their customer commitment.

What a great idea haha!

I still find it hard to believe that there are no Samsung engineers (Even ones in USA, Korea etc...) that realise HLG works fine over HDMI. It's just strange that the EDID wasn't updated when HLG was implemented over a year ago.

It's been mentioned numerous times on american and italian forums that DirectTV engineers have been discussing the issue with Samsung

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

What a great idea haha!

I still find it hard to believe that there are no Samsung engineers (Even ones in USA, Korea etc...) that realise HLG works fine over HDMI. It's just strange that the EDID wasn't updated when HLG was implemented over a year ago.

It's been mentioned numerous times on american and italian forums that DirectTV engineers have been discussing the issue with Samsung

fix is simple but Samusng want you to buy new sets so they wont fix older models

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

What a great idea haha!

I am sure their engineer's know every thing about their TVs because they designed and built them. Leaves just 2 possibilities,  it can be updated, or they just don't want to. Either way it will not help us. Good old Samsung. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

What a great idea haha!

I am sure their engineer's know every thing about their TVs because they designed and built them. Leaves just 2 possibilities,  it can be updated, or they just don't want to. Either way it will not help us. Good old Samsung. 

Correction,  meant to say can not be updated. 

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

Unlike the Wildvine problem, the EDID is simply metadata, and can be injected / changed, as we've seen.

Indeed in Windows, there's a whole set of EDID API's and NVIDIA Quadro Graphics Cards have onboard EDID Management systems and can spoof EDID's themselves.

EDIT: And I'm even sure someone even posted the bits that needed modifying and the modified EDID - I mean, how much more work do Samsung even need to do? *sarcastic lol*

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
That's why I think its a decision they have made not to update. I know those who like a challenge and go into the TV systems may be able to fix it but I believe if you ***** it up the TV could end up broke. It so obvious that Samsung could fix this but they do not want to and that was confirmed by samsung through @AntS their moderator.
chopples123
Voyager
Options

The fix for EDID is obvious, but we do not know what it takes for it to be implemented, Its possible that to sort may require an engineer on site with access to the service menu rather than via firmware. Maybe the EDID structure is using a serial PROM and is only read only as opposed to an EEPROM which can be erased. Point is we don't know because Samsung decided to just say nothing.

This is why at the very least Samsung should give there customers a detailed technical response rather than the wishy washy statements they have been putting out so far.

The only situation I can think of which is similiar is with the LG EF950 (i think thats the model its the 2015 4kOLED) early versions of this set did not support HDR but the later ones did, LG resolved this by sending an engineer to the customers homes and replacing the HDMI board.

I would like to think if it was as simple as firmware then they would have implemented a solution. They have nothing to gain by delibratly witholding it, as this thread has shown it actually causes them harm.

cheers

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Good post @chopples123

Cynically, there is one thing to gain which is selling more 2017/2018/2019 televisions.

Less informed customers may just assume their television can't display this new format and when they encounter it in a showroom or at a friend's house will be wowed enough to upgrade.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Good post @chopples123

Cynically, there is one thing to gain which is selling more 2017/2018/2019 televisions.

Less informed customers may just assume their television can't display this new format and when they encounter it in a showroom or at a friend's house will be wowed enough to upgrade.

I can see what you are saying mate but I would just like to add that HLG was finalised December 2016, it was at this time Samsung announced they would look to upgrade support. The KS sets where already  near the end of its cycle, If Samsung wanted to take that approach and get people to purposefully upgrade to there newer TV's then it would have made more sense to not offer HLG fullstop rather than the half arsed inconsidered solution we have now. 

cheers