Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-06-2018 09:51 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:
If you get a refund there are now better sets out there. Just a letter to you retailer may get that. By buying a fury you have accepted Samsung disregard to their customers which you are one. You have spent time here, spend a bit more and hit Samsung where it hurts.
As for criticizing the mods I was banned for a short while for actually saying how poor the information from the mods was.

I just don't have the appetite for pursuing a refund as other have - good luck to them.  My TV's PQ has always been great and until that changes I won't be looking elsewhere.  HLG transmissions are in their infancy and by the time they are more common I may well be in the market for a new TV

Pretty much where I stand on the situation, when the KS is firing on all cylinders I've not seen a better picture (Blade Runner 2049 UHD has to be seen to be believed), but I won't be buying any kind of Samsung product in future.

@AntS - Well done, as someone who is in your position as part of my work role, I sympathise, but all that statement has done is prodded the hornets nest and muddied the waters somewhat.

For me, it actually says nothing of note that we didn't already know; the KS is functionally crippled due to an inept and half-addled implementation of the Wildvine API ('the mixture of technologies'), and it's impossible to rectify.

Incidentally, I happened to get into a conversation with a member of the UHD Forum, and he's very interested in getting to the bottom of Samsung's decision-making process here, you may find questions being raised behind the scenes about this. He sympathised with our plight, but understood Samsung's attitude is systemic across the whole of the TV business at the moment, I note some Sony and Panasonic owners in the same boat as us wrt HLG.

It's also partly BBC's fault for choosing a different HLG workflow to the rest of the broadcast industry.

*sigh* What a shame, the KS is a brilliant TV set, but what a sad and abrupt life it's had.

Jay108
Voyager
Options
I see what you mean. So it means HD fury is the only long term solution.
dunwell
Voyager
Options

I think an HD Fury Integral is the only 'safe bet' if HLG is really important to you in the future. They are currently available for around £150; I don't know if that price will go up or down when the scale of any EDID issues becomes more widely known.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Forgive me being so contradictory but I don't think most of us will be happy.

If the Roku works during the World Cup then great. It's a one off showpiece event which would be great to enjoy (roughly half of) the matches in HDR.

But what after that? What when Virgin and Sky launch their services later in the year. The BBC are only ever going to have limited HLG content on the iPlayer app until this technology is established. By the end of the year I'm expecting Virgin and Sky to be showing an array of sports, films and drama in HLG which the Roku is not going to help us one bit with.

Yeah, true. I'm just going to watch the World Cup on the LG's at work, which I know are HLG compatible.

There's absolutely no point any of us rushing out to swap TV's with HDMI 2.1 coming next year.

Fez15
Journeyman
Options

Don’t much about this hd fury how does it work? Is it literally a cable in cable out or is there more to it than that. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Fez15 wrote:

Don’t much about this hd fury how does it work? Is it literally a cable in cable out or is there more to it than that. Any help would be appreciated.

It's more than that, prob best having a look in the other thread, there's tons more info in there about it.

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

Well said.

indeed the Roku working for the World Cup is a very nice bonus but the long term focus/solution is a fix for the EDID so we can enjoy sky/virgin HDR content for the years ahead without having to spend £200 on a fury.

0 Likes
Fez15
Journeyman
Options
Will have a look thanks
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

Well said.

indeed the Roku working for the World Cup is a very nice bonus but the long term focus/solution is a fix for the EDID so we can enjoy sky/virgin HDR content for the years ahead without having to spend £200 on a fury.

@AntS has said that the ks will not be able to receive Hlg over HDMI. That then leaves the fury. 

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

Well said.

@AntShas said that the ks will not be able to receive Hlg over HDMI. That then leaves the fury. 

The statement was contradictory - it implied it's possible but with a firmware update, but then implied it's not possible at the end of the same sentence.

Again, waters muddied.