Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-06-2018 03:20 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

This isn’t new information - I don’t think anyone on this forum has said the Roku can play the Planet Earth II demo at any point. 

Sorry may be my fault for saying my friend could get both samples on his Hience tv.

It has though asked the question why the roku can't? 

rozel
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

This isn’t new information - I don’t think anyone on this forum has said the Roku can play the Planet Earth II demo at any point. 

Thanks that has cleared that up. So it does leave the question as to why it can only play one version of Hlg and not the other? Very odd. Think I will wait till I buy one. 

Absolutely - it's a major question, more than odd and maybe why it accounts for why the Roku + isn't on the list of supported devices.  This points to the EDID fix that Samsung refuse to enlighten us all on.  But I'm guessing the HD Fury will sort things in the meantime and I may just take the plunge.  Thoughts anyone?  I'd love to watch the World Cup in UHD / HDR / HLG or whatever version is available.

rozel
Voyager
Options
@dunwell to clarify..............................

@sinjin states Hi I have a Roku plus and I can’t get the UHD trial on the iPlayer
i can access the Southampton v West Brom loop but the UHD Trial says temporary problem 02001
i have a KS607000

The following post, you say.................... Working fine here.

Doesn't seem much confusion there now, does there?
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rozel wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

Thanks that has cleared that up. So it does leave the question as to why it can only play one version of Hlg and not the other? Very odd. Think I will wait till I buy one. 

Absolutely - it's a major question, more than odd and maybe why it accounts for why the Roku + isn't on the list of supported devices.  This points to the EDID fix that Samsung refuse to enlighten us all on.  But I'm guessing the HD Fury will sort things in the meantime and I may just take the plunge.  Thoughts anyone?  I'd love to watch the World Cup in UHD / HDR / HLG or whatever version is available.

May I ask how will you watch the world cup on iplayer using the HD fury. Apart from the roku what other devices are on the iplayer list? The roku seems to workish without the edid so will it be the same even when using the HD fury,  in that you can only get the football loop and what does that mean for the iplayer world cup Hlg?  Just a thought. 

rozel
Voyager
Options

Not sure really, just thought that whilst people on here are saying that all that's needed is for Samsung to release an EDID firmware update and that all would then be ok, that if they don't do that, the HD Fury can step in, in its place.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

@rozel Errr yes, the FA Cup Test loop IS working fine here. The poster I was replying to was asking about that...

rozel
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

@rozel Errr yes, the FA Cup Test loop IS working fine here. The poster I was replying to was asking about that...

No you are not wriggling out on that one - he was asking about the UHD Trial, that is something different to the Loop

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

If you’re relying on the Roku for the World Cup I highly doubt an HD Fury will help you. If it doesn’t work then it won’t be because of EDID it will be because the Fury doesn’t support the iPlayer app requirements for whatever reason. 

Folks I think this is really simple at the moment. Please just wait and see whether the Roku works come opening day or not - please don’t waste your money on a Roku or an HD Fury for now until we know what’s working. 

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

Not sure really, just thought that whilst people on here are saying that all that's needed is for Samsung to release an EDID firmware update and that all would then be ok, that if they don't do that, the HD Fury can step in, in its place.

For Iplayer a confirmed external device is still needed mate. The Roku may be that device but until the BBC add it to the list or the world cup has started and someone has it tested as working then noone will know for sure

cheers

dunwell
Voyager
Options

@rozel I owe you an apology. Having reread the quote I thought the OP had said “can’t” get it to work. I now see that he said “can”. My apologies, no intention to mislead.