Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-06-2018 10:38 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Jay108 wrote:
Unless of course Samsung provide a software upgrade. Which is very unlikely.

Unless of course the BBC device list  isnt complete. which is likley.

cheers

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:
Unless of course Samsung provide a software upgrade. Which is very unlikely.

Unless of course the BBC device list  isnt complete. which is likley.

cheers

So we all have to hope for one following to occurr before 16th June ;

1)  roku appears on the list 

2) Samsung provide a fix.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Yep mate but the Roku missing doesnt necessary mean that it wont work.

If that list is to be taken as Gospel then Panasonic users with TV's less than 12 months old have more right to be to be cheesed of than samsung users as none of there 2017 models are showing, 2017 mid/high end Sony sets are missing as are some 2016 LG oled models

tldr... the list is a mess

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

The Beeb list is all sorts of garbage, best thing to do is chillax for a bit and wait for the first game the BBC have to broadcast (which I think is Egypt v Uruguay on Friday 15th June at 1300) and see just how much (or not) a clustertruck it is, and take it from there.

Anything out from this point is speculation.

sinjin
Journeyman
Options

Hi I have a Roku plus and I can’t get the UHD trial on the iPlayer 

i can access the Southampton v West Brom loop but the UHD Trial says temporary problem 02001

i have a KS607000

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Working fine here. 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@sinjin wrote:

Hi I have a Roku plus and I can’t get the UHD trial on the iPlayer 

i can access the Southampton v West Brom loop but the UHD Trial says temporary problem 02001

i have a 

Try switching the roku off at the mains. Then retry,  my friend had the same on his telly but worked after switching off. 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

[I meant to quote here - "What's happened to the German HDR10+ petition?"]

I assume it's still going, but it's not worth getting het up about HDR10+ . That format is vapourware: there is zero content available for it. There was a press release saying it would be on Amazon, but no-one with any of the allegedly supported models (Samsung 2017s) has ever seen the HDR10+ logo in the Amazon Prime video app [ref: amazon help page]

For all intents and purpose, HDR10+ does not exist outside of hyperbolic press releases. 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Please guys correct me but here is KS and JS owners position on Iplayer HLG  World Cup trial.

Unless roku appears on the supported list of Devices, we have no way of watching HLG World Cup. ?!!

Yes but remember that it's technically possible that it would work, with the BBC for some reason not putting it on the list. What I mean is that a list on a webpage is not what matters and is not always 100% accurate. It's what actually works that matters.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

I assume it's still going, but it's not worth getting het up about HDR10+ . That format is vapourware: there is zero content available for it. There was a press release saying it would be on Amazon, but no-one with any of the allegedly supported models (Samsung 2017s) has ever seen the HDR10+ logo in the Amazon Prime video app [ref: amazon help page]

For all intents and purpose, HDR10+ does not exist outside of hyperbolic press releases. 

I think another Samsung selling hype that we may have to wait a long time for!!!!.  Thing is under European Consumer law the manufacturer can make any claims they like without any chance of retribution. It is only the retailer that you can sue. 

That is why it is so important to get every thing advertised about any product from any retailer recorded just in case. Also always buy using you credit card,  even if it is just the deposit.