Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 02-06-2018 04:04 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@blenky wrote:

Out of interest I looked at the iPlayer System Information on all my devices - which is Samsung KS TV, Samsung UHD bluray, Nvidia Shield, Virgin Media V6 and the Roku+.  ALL of them have the following in System Information:

BigScreen Version 4.6.110.1
Build Identifier: Thu May 31 2018 08:54:54
Framework Version: 8.1.2 config version: 8.1.2

Interesting that the build date co-incides with the announcement of the UHD World Cup.  

Cool interesting thanks. I've checked my Amazon FireTV V3 (2017 4k new one) and that too shows the same information that you posted.

Markbo
Explorer
Options

Whilst searching the BBC website’s iPlayer troubleshooting pages I came across the list of supported devices for the UHD World Cup Trial. It was interesting to see listed 2015 and 2016 sets from such cutting edge brands as Bush and Polaroid, you know the sort of brands you usually see people fighting over in supermarkets on Black Friday, yet nothing from those years from Samsung. You would think Samsung would be somewhat embarrassed by the lack of their flagship TVs from those years whilst other inferior products have made the grade.

I was trying to discover why BBC iPlayer wont load on my JS TV, for me to sign in again, after doing a system reset to cure an issue with the screen going permanently blank 30 seconds after switching on straight to an HDMI source, that issue appears to be cured by the reset but it’s ironic that I now have no iPlayer at all, let alone 4k. Perhaps I should have saved over a £1000 and bought something from Bush or Polaroid.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Markbo wrote:

Whilst searching the BBC website’s iPlayer troubleshooting pages I came across the list of supported devices for the UHD World Cup Trial. It was interesting to see listed 2015 and 2016 sets from such cutting edge brands as Bush and Polaroid, you know the sort of brands you usually see people fighting over in supermarkets on Black Friday, yet nothing from those years from Samsung. You would think Samsung would be somewhat embarrassed by the lack of their flagship TVs from those years whilst other inferior products have made the grade.

I was trying to discover why BBC iPlayer wont load on my JS TV, for me to sign in again, after doing a system reset to cure an issue with the screen going permanently blank 30 seconds after switching on straight to an HDMI source, that issue appears to be cured by the reset but it’s ironic that I now have no iPlayer at all, let alone 4k. Perhaps I should have saved over a £1000 and bought something from Bush or Polaroid.

My friend has a 65 Hisense and with normal tv looks good and in hdr on Netflix not as bright as my ks it still looks good. Thing is his tv cost a third of what I paid,  and even the reviews give it 4stars. Are we all just believing the hype which as we have found with Samsung is not always truthful and paying a fortune for a product that we can get cheaper.  

Still nothing from Samsung yet! 

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Markbo wrote:

Totally agree and I also have lost all use of iPlayer on my JS set, I've rebooted the one connect mini (with all the annoyance of having to sign in again to Amazon prime, netflix and Nowtv) and reinstalled the iplayer app and..... NOTHING!

Even the NowTV app refuses to open unless I go into the MyApps, and reinstall it every time.

@AntS@... What have Samsung done to the JS sets that has now rendered my and @Markbo TVs unable to open even the bog standard BBC Iplayer app? Please reply. Many thanks Cris.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@Markbo wrote:

Totally agree and I also have lost all use of iPlayer on my JS set, I've rebooted the one connect mini (with all the annoyance of having to sign in again to Amazon prime, netflix and Nowtv) and reinstalled the iplayer app and..... NOTHING!

Even the NowTV app refuses to open unless I go into the MyApps, and reinstall it every time.

@AntS@... What have Samsung done to the JS sets that has now rendered my and @Markbo TVs unable to open even the bog standard BBC Iplayer app? Please reply. Many thanks Cris.

Could be a gentle nudge to get you to buy their £3800 new q telly which by the looks of things will be again out of date wihin a year. 

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@crashcris wrote:

@Markbo wrote:

Could be a gentle nudge to get you to buy their £3800 new q telly which by the looks of things will be again out of date wihin a year. 

Samsung should be ashamed of them self . All lies to get the business and once they have your money they do not care about fulfilling their promises. I still don’t know why there are no stronger laws to protect customers like us.

also I am not holding my breath on getting a response from Samsung. 

And does anyone know what ever happened to that petition from Germany for HDR10+

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

Could be, but strangely enough it's acting more like a gentle push to buy a Panasonic OLED TX-55EZ952B in JL for £1649. Supports HLG though not on the list yet for the Live trial, 2017, I expect it to be included in the trial and when that's confirmed I'll be purchasing.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Could be, but strangely enough it's acting more like a gentle push to buy a Panasonic OLED TX-55EZ952B in JL for £1649. Supports HLG though not on the list yet for the Live trial, 2017, I expect it to be included in the trial and when that's confirmed I'll be purchasing.

Hi mate

i would just do a bit of research, The Panasonics have also had issues with HLG iplayer. They did support it but didnt process the HLG correctly. Not sure the oled is effected but the DX902 was. Personally if you are to switch with Iplayer being a key reason then an LG B7 would probably be a safer bet

edit https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/blue-planet-201712154518.htm

cheers

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Agreed but does Samsung think that way. With the marketing of their new back lit tellys they are trying to say again that theirs is far superior to any thing else,  but is it for watching Netflix,  Sky,  and Freeveiw. I think you may see a difference if watching a 4k bluray,  but is that worth the thousands extra? I am not sure. 

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@Anonymous User if you are to switch with Iplayer being a key reason then an LG B7 would probably be a safer be

Good call. The LG OLED55B7V is down to £1499 in JL and seems to support all I need, not to mention that they look after their customers beyond the year of manufacture.