Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-05-2018 07:33 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

I think the Roku is only wifi? Do owners think its wifi perfomance is enough to consistantly deliver the 40mbits needed?

You can test this yourself right now easily, using YouTube.

Turn on "stats for nerds" (google it if you haven't done it before) and it shows you the bandwidth it's getting/using.

Here's me getting 42Mb/s:

Did same test and got between 35 and 48.  Seems to average out at around 40.  Maybe on the cusp here!

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Even if your bandwith can only hand the 20mbit 2560p stream it will still be a decent improvement especially when you factor in HLG

cheers

Jay108
Voyager
Options

If roku is not on the list of supported devices then it’s unlikely to work. 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Those of you that have got an version of iPlayer that has had the recent UHD demos are you now seeing the screen shown on this page, or is it just a mock up of waht will be there in a few weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-05-uhd_hdr_world_cup_2018

01-Live-UHD-WC2018-Promo.png

On the Roku it still has the looping FA cup game between West Brom and Southampton.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

the oled b6 isnt on the list, and this morning the 2018 sony af8 wasnt on it (it is now). Not saying its going to work for definate mate but its clear the current list is incomplete

cheers

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

the oled b6 isnt on the list, and this morning the 2018 sony af8 wasnt on it (it is now). Not saying its going to work for definate mate but its clear the current list is incomplete

cheers

Hopefully.  I would have thought all devices that were on the last list plus ones where the manufactuers have added support will be good to go.  BBC have said that using same technology but higher bandwidth so keeping fingers crossed.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

Let’s all hope roku does appear on the list. Otherwise we are stuck with very expensive TVs.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Let’s all hope roku does appear on the list. Otherwise we are stuck with very expensive TVs.

It's only football, it doesn't really matter. LOL.

JTE
Navigator
Options

A common sense attitude to Roku. As HLG is backward compatible you will never really know if you have HLG/HDR or a 4K picture without the wide colour Gammit unless the device is listed as compatable. Seems quite simple really and detracts from Samsung doing what they should do in the first place.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

The can only think of 2 potential issues with the Roku, I believe all the roku 4k sticks support a maximum average bitrate of 40mbits, should be enough for the 4k feed but it is cutting it close. Secondly BBC for obvious reasons recommend using ethernet for a stable connection which kind of makes sense due to the high bitrate. I think the Roku is only wifi? Do owners think its wifi perfomance is enough to consistantly deliver the 40mbits needed?

cheers

It could struggle as I have a 80 meg connection but never get near that on WiFi,  but no probs hard wired in to a shield tv or my Pc. 

How can you 'hard wire' it as its wireless only

The shield tv can do Ethernet cable and WiFi. 

OK but the Shield TV iPlayer app does not support 4K.  So not sure of your point.

Just saying the shield has Ethernet connection where as the roku only has WiFi. So unless your WiFi is right next to your router it might struggle to get the 40 meg speed. That's the point.