Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-05-2018 06:39 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

The can only think of 2 potential issues with the Roku, I believe all the roku 4k sticks support a maximum average bitrate of 40mbits, should be enough for the 4k feed but it is cutting it close. Secondly BBC for obvious reasons recommend using ethernet for a stable connection which kind of makes sense due to the high bitrate. I think the Roku is only wifi? Do owners think its wifi perfomance is enough to consistantly deliver the 40mbits needed?

cheers

The first point maybe an issue but my Roku is next to my wireless and I can get a constant 80+ Mbits

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

The can only think of 2 potential issues with the Roku, I believe all the roku 4k sticks support a maximum average bitrate of 40mbits, should be enough for the 4k feed but it is cutting it close. Secondly BBC for obvious reasons recommend using ethernet for a stable connection which kind of makes sense due to the high bitrate. I think the Roku is only wifi? Do owners think its wifi perfomance is enough to consistantly deliver the 40mbits needed?

cheers

It could struggle as I have a 80 meg connection but never get near that on WiFi,  but no probs hard wired in to a shield tv or my Pc. 

How can you 'hard wire' it as its wireless only

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

The first point maybe an issue but my Roku is next to my wireless and I can get a constant 80+ Mbits

cheers mate, I have a gut feeling the roku will be fine, there are far more capable devices currently missing which we know will work (like the B6 Oled). I expect the list to evolve greatly over the next few days

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

cheers

It could struggle as I have a 80 meg connection but never get near that on WiFi,  but no probs hard wired in to a shield tv or my Pc. 

The shield tv can do Ethernet cable and WiFi. 

rozel
Voyager
Options

How does that affect the Roku as that is wifi only?  Does your shield magically transform the Roku into an ethernet device somehow?

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

When I have news on the Samsung side of things regarding K/J Series iPlayer HLG from my colleagues, I will post it in this thread.

When will that be? Give us your best estimate. You must appreciate by now that it's extremely difficult - if not impossible - to believe your message (NB: not you the messenger personally), because this car-crash started almost a full 6 months ago, and in that time, and 300 pages, we have had not one single statement that's official from Samsung.

All we've had are "holding messages" from you, and snippets of information from journalists and users with contacts from around the world.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

cheers

The shield tv can do Ethernet cable and WiFi. 

OK but the Shield TV iPlayer app does not support 4K.  So not sure of your point.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@MJM87 wrote:

I asked the the Samsung UK twitter account if there is an official stance on watching the world cup in 4K/HLG on KS TVs, they told me to "Keep an eye on our website and social channels for any updates". I've asked if that means something is coming, or if we're waiting for something that might not happen!

In Decmber 6th 2017 after harranging Samsung on Twitter I got

"We don't have this information at the moment but keep an eye on our website and social media channels for the latest updates. ^TO"

So don't hold your breath! 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

I think the Roku is only wifi? Do owners think its wifi perfomance is enough to consistantly deliver the 40mbits needed?

You can test this yourself right now easily, using YouTube.

Turn on "stats for nerds" (google it if you haven't done it before) and it shows you the bandwidth it's getting/using.

Here's me getting 42Mb/s:

YouTube updated 1.png

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@blenky wrote:

In Decmber 6th 2017 after harranging Samsung on Twitter I got

"We don't have this information at the moment but keep an eye on our website and social media channels for the latest updates. ^TO"

So don't hold your breath! 

Yes. It's almost as if they don't understand how the internet works. (!)

You've asked them a question, and they have your details. This means that when they have the answer, THEY reply to your directly, and everyone else who asked, with the answer.

• In their world, they expect me to go to the Post Office every single day, to ask them if Samsung had posted a letter to me. Deliveries are impossible, everyone has to go and ask for post, and I'm wasting me time 99.9% of the time in this system.
  • In the real world, Samsung posts a letter to me, and it's delivered to me. I don't waste any time on the days when there's no letter for me.

"Keep checking for an update" is not only lazy and arrogant, but also a massive "f*** off" to the questioner.