Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-05-2018 04:20 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@AntS... Come on Ant, I'm not here to shoot the messenger, but No official statement after all this time is beyond frustrating. Your contacts within your Samsung collegues have been asked time and again, what they're able to do to resolve this issue for the J+K series, as well as what they're willing to do and an approximate timeframe for this to be done.

What are they striving to do and what is setting them back?

Perhaps Samsung believe that they've won this battle due to only a few sets having been returned and them taking a "no comment" approach works well for them. If that's the case then they're sorely underestimating the damage they're doing to themselves concerning "customer goodwill".

Would you please press them for a few pertinent answers.

Thanks Cris.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@deaglun wrote:

I'm so, so, so disappointed I won't be able to watch the World Cup from the BBC in 4k. Is there any prospect I can get any money back from Samsung for the purchase of my KS7000? Obviously I won't be buying another Samsung TV again. Massive let down.

I'm guessing there's absolutely no prospect of Samsung rectifiying this before the world cup?

Welcome! 

And no, Samsung have taken the 'you buy new TV every year, foolish customer' strategy - they won't provide yearly updates to Tizen unless you buy the hardware to go with it.

This has led to one review site from factoring that into Samsung reviews going forward and deducting points from the final mark.

deaglun
Explorer
Options

It's a bad strategy. TVs arent like phones. It's a once every 10 year purchase. Everyone knows that. I work in broadcast and TV buying cycles are slow.

It's particularly frustrating as I'm sure there's no hardware limitation here. This could be rectified if the will existed.

I'd settle for a 4k World Cup stream without HDR. I've the BT Sport 4k channel and it looks great.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@deaglun wrote:

It's a bad strategy. TVs arent like phones. It's a once every 10 year purchase. Everyone knows that. I work in broadcast and TV buying cycles are slow.

It's particularly frustrating as I'm sure there's no hardware limitation here. This could be rectified if the will existed.

I'd settle for a 4k World Cup stream without HDR. I've the BT Sport 4k channel and it looks great.

For the KS series, yes, it's a hardware limitation. Samsung dun goofed.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Paging Dr Tickler!

New BBC R&D Blog on the announcement, has some tasty details.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-05-uhd_hdr_world_cup_2018

After reading it, I'm more content on their aims and why it's a trial, and not a fully fledged broadcast - but I'm reading between the lines here, the Roku might not work for this.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Paging Dr Tickler!

New BBC R&D Blog on the announcement, has some tasty details.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-05-uhd_hdr_world_cup_2018

After reading it, I'm more content on their aims and why it's a trial, and not a fully fledged broadcast - but I'm reading between the lines here, the Roku might not work for this.

From the blog what makes you think the Roku may not work (other than its not on the list of supported devices)?  The blog says that they are using the same technology as used for earlier trials but with increased bandwidth requirements.  Quote:

"The high video bitrates have been chosen to maintain picture quality, but this does mean that some viewers who could watch Blue Planet II may not be able to receive the World Cup streams, as a minimum capacity of 40Mbit/s will be needed to get the full 3840 pixel resolution representation"

0 Likes
MJM87
Journeyman
Options

I asked the the Samsung UK twitter account if there is an official stance on watching the world cup in 4K/HLG on KS TVs, they told me to "Keep an eye on our website and social channels for any updates". I've asked if that means something is coming, or if we're waiting for something that might not happen!

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

The can only think of 2 potential issues with the Roku, I believe all the roku 4k sticks support a maximum average bitrate of 40mbits, should be enough for the 4k feed but it is cutting it close. Secondly BBC for obvious reasons recommend using ethernet for a stable connection which kind of makes sense due to the high bitrate. I think the Roku is only wifi? Do owners think its wifi perfomance is enough to consistantly deliver the 40mbits needed?

cheers

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

The can only think of 2 potential issues with the Roku, I believe all the roku 4k sticks support a maximum average bitrate of 40mbits, should be enough for the 4k feed but it is cutting it close. Secondly BBC for obvious reasons recommend using ethernet for a stable connection which kind of makes sense due to the high bitrate. I think the Roku is only wifi? Do owners think its wifi perfomance is enough to consistantly deliver the 40mbits needed?

cheers

It could struggle as I have a 80 meg connection but never get near that on WiFi,  but no probs hard wired in to a shield tv or my Pc. 

rozel
Voyager
Options

I'm getting 53 Meg on an infinity 2 pkg.  Hope to get more moving to fibre max.   I'm really hoping my Roku + will deliver.   It'll be fun trying lol

0 Likes