Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-05-2018 03:58 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
AntS
Options

Hi all.

When I have news on the Samsung side of things regarding K/J Series iPlayer HLG from my colleagues, I will post it in this thread.

amokuk
Voyager
Options

You said that 3 months ago ants, and 3 months before that. I'm not sure how long it takes to tell people that Samsung are not going to do anything. Perhaps Samsung could bless us with at least an update on some sort of progress. You know like any normal company would? Even the train company Thameslink, which is basically a train crash right now, has the balls to step up take responsibility for its failings and says yes things are a mess but this is what we are doing to sort it out. Are Samsung to good for that sort of behaviour? Frankly your comment is meaningless without an ETA but you cant even provide one of those. It's utterly pathetic in all honesty. 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

When I have news on the Samsung side of things regarding K/J Series iPlayer HLG from my colleagues, I will post it in this thread.

Thanks. Hopefully they will fix the EDID on KS (and JS?)  

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Was really hoping that was a message from Ant with some kind of update. Oh well.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

You said you were close to an official Samsung comment months ago! Not good. 

rahmsho
First Poster
Options
After having spend so much money on a 2016 Samsung TV to find out they will not support HLG in the IPLAYER and i will miss out on the 2018 world cup which is being shown in 4k UHD on iplayer. I i will never buy a samsung TV again and will recommend other users not to.

As a software engineer all i can say is that Samsung developers are being just lazy saying its too much hassle to do it over a firmware update.
amokuk
Voyager
Options

I suggested that to get your money back you go to the refund thread and use the information provided there. Then you can get the TV you thought you were buying. 

Here is your own comment about how clear cut a case of mis-selling that thread highlights

"chopples123: If anyone wants rid then it far easier to go the smart things route as thats a slam dunk!"

Not sure what your point is to be honest mate.

deaglun
Explorer
Options

I'm so, so, so disappointed I won't be able to watch the World Cup from the BBC in 4k. Is there any prospect I can get any money back from Samsung for the purchase of my KS7000? Obviously I won't be buying another Samsung TV again. Massive let down.

I'm guessing there's absolutely no prospect of Samsung rectifiying this before the world cup?

Frazzler
Explorer
Options
Er, no and no, unfortunately. Best thing is to ‘vote with your feet’ next time and avoid Samsung, the purveyor of false promises.
deaglun
Explorer
Options

I'm so angry. Do they read these forums? 

That's the best part of £1000 down the drain. I don't make these kind of purchases often. I bought something I had read was future-proof, with HLG supported.

I'll buy an LG next time. The TV isn't very good anyway, motion is really blurry, despite me having tweaked the settings to death.

Damnit, I just bought a Samsung Washing Machine. But I've not used it yet, it is going back.