Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-05-2018 01:36 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Frazzler
Explorer
Options
Well, better safe than £60 out of pocket, I think I’ll play the wait and see game.
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

Top stuff, 50hz is a must IMO anyone who will have watched the 30hz 4k BT champs league youtube stream will see how appalling sport is at such a low refresh rate.

Also 40megabit minimum internet, this should be excellent quality. First come first serve though which means some will miss out once servers hit capacity. 

cheers

Server capacity wont be an issue as it is broadcast not VoD so a single stream for everyone

Banddith requirement should be between 15-25 MBPs even if they decide to use ATMOS, interlaced data even if it has double the rfresh rate but still has half the resolution

They're taking the UHD feed from the FIFA Max server that's being used to deliver the content, they won't be using their own cameras, it's a pooled setup. HLG is injected at that point. 

I construe the issue is all about bandwidth.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@Frazzler wrote:
Roku+ ordered quickly cancelled.

I might be wrong about the ROKU, but they do seem to be differentiating between live broadcast and on-demand. Very disappointing if it is so.

I think this is an important point, all the 2016 non oled LG's which could play the on demand loop and blue planet 2 has been removed as has the Sky Q box. Also alot of modern Sony sets are missing like the 2018 XF90 or 2017 XE93/XE90 in fact the only Sony android TV i can see is the ZD9. Maybe there is a further difference between live and on demand or maybe they just havent yet had a chance to verify the device

guess we will have to wait and see

edit..... It looks like BBC have just added a load of Sony TV's to the compatibility list and have started adding some 2015 panasonics (the bottom end ones) all 2016,2017 and top end 2015 Panasonics are missing so to me this list is very is still very much a work in progess. Give it a week for the dust to settle, its possible the Roku may still get added

cheers

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Virgin V6 has been added to the list with a *TBC next to it

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@crashcris wrote:

@Frazzler wrote:
Roku+ ordered quickly cancelled.

I might be wrong about the ROKU, but they do seem to be differentiating between live broadcast and on-demand. Very disappointing if it is so.

I think this is an important point, all the 2016 non oled LG's which could play the on demand loop and blue planet 2 has been removed as has the Sky Q box. Also alot of modern Sony sets are missing like the 2018 XF90 or 2017 XE93/XE90 in fact the only Sony android TV i can see is the ZD9. Maybe there is a further difference between live and on demand or maybe they just havent yet had a chance to verify the device

guess we will have to wait and see

edit..... It looks like BBC have just added a load of Sony TV's to the compatibility list and have started adding some 2015 panasonics (the bottom end ones) all 2016,2017 and top end 2015 Panasonics are missing so to me this list is very is still very much a work in progess. Give it a week for the dust to settle, its possible the Roku may still get added

cheers

Yeah, first game's not till the middle of June, so plenty of time for movement.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

I might be wrong about the ROKU, but they do seem to be differentiating between live streaming and on-demand. Very disappointing if it is so.

[I've insert the word "streaming" inserted above for clarity, as distinct from satellite/cable/freeview broadcasting]

On a technical level, within the iPlayer app, the "streaming of a live programme" code is likely to be slightly different to the "streaming of a non-live, on-demand programme encoded earlier on the server" code; internally, that is. So although a shame it would be understandable if a device supports the latter now but not the former yet - this is not to say it's not going to be capable. Just that they haven't finished updating the iPlayer app (per device) to cater for both types of stream.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Whats the link to supported devices?

Ta

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

Whats the link to supported devices?

Ta

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/live-uhd

Frazzler
Explorer
Options
amokuk
Voyager
Options

You lot should have read the writing on the wall and took them to small claims court months ago when they refused to give us any information on why we would never be getting an update, and trust me you wont be ever getting an update except for a 50% chance of the EDID fix. At this point I would say the chances of ants ever showing his face on this thread again at about 20%, who wants to be the person that tells you you are all suckers? Small claims court would have cost you £60 and you can put that in your claim as an expense. You would have won had you listened to the advice on the sue/refund thread. It's clear cut mis-selling.

I  bought my ks8000 specifically for uhd hdr world cup but i shall now be enjoying it on my oled c7 beauty.