Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-05-2018 09:00 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
JTE
Navigator
Options

So Samsung. Time for an update on which TVs might now get a firmware update to allow your previously loyal customers to enjoy this new feast for the senses experience on Pre 2016 TV’s which we all payed thousands of pounds for.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Great news. Now watch this thread absolutely explode....

blenky
Helping Hand
Options
Time to get that Roku!
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Great news. Now watch this thread absolutely explode....

I can't believe I have posted a reply before Paul1111 has.

:smiling-face:

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@disrember wrote:

World Cup 2018: BBC iPlayer to stream matches in 4K HDR

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44308154

"As an added benefit, footage will be played at 50 frames per second rather than the normal 25fps."

... which is why, as a rule, I avoid the iPlayer! :smiling-face:

The proper broadcasts are 1080i50, 50 interlaced fields per second and 50 movements per second are displayed. Remember, with interlacing for live 50Hz content, the image moves between each half-frame. They are not the "first half" and "second half" of 25 frames/second. The only exception to this is when the original content was 25fps, or 24fps in the case of movies which are sped up slightly.

The iPlayer streams, except these new ones, are de-interlaced so they halve the temporal resolution, ie change it to 25 movements per second. This throws away half of the movements and you lose the lovely smooth 50Hz motion. So I am always mystified why people are so eager to watch these versions of a programme instead of the superior recordings of the real broadcasts. I suspect it's beacuse many people don't notice, in the same way that people didn't notice that stretching 4:3 into a 16:9 widescreen TV was obviously wrong.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

Top stuff, 50hz is a must IMO anyone who will have watched the 30hz 4k BT champs league youtube stream will see how appalling sport is at such a low refresh rate.

Also 40megabit minimum internet, this should be excellent quality. First come first serve though which means some will miss out once servers hit capacity. 

cheers

disrember
Explorer
Options

heres a bit more

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/05/world-cup-bbc-confirms-uhd-test-coverage.html

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/05/devices-compatible-with-iplayer-uhd.html

and notice that no 2016 devices listed here for samsung, but there is for sony, LG etc.

no mention of Roku, waiting to see what sky will do as well

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

For Sky to be a solution to this issue, inside the next 14 days the following must happen:

- Sky to rollout new firmware to SkyQ which makes HDR available

- BBC to update its SkyQ "App" to delivery UHD / HLG streams

- Samsung to rollout new firmware to fix EDID handshake issue

I would rate the chances of this at 0%

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

It's good news obviously, but the Beeb still listing it as a 'trial' is concerning.

I'm back in a wait and see mode if I'll pick up a Roku stick, or just watch the matches in 1080p and then download them in 4k afterwards from somewhere else.

0 Likes
Frazzler
Explorer
Options

I have

- Apple TV 4K

- Sky Q

- Android TV

- KS Series Native iPlayer

None of these will support UHD HDR iPlayer streams in time for the World Cup, so I will be buying the Roku+.

I have been quietly hoping that Apple update their Apple TV 4K iPlayer  but I don’t think there is enough time for Apple to implement unless the updates announced at WWDC on iOS already include it, so the Roku+ is the cheapest, proven method (HD Fury with an external UHD iPlayer is also viable but $).

0 Likes