Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 26-05-2018 02:20 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

That's excellent, thanks for the heads-up. Reading that article only emphasies how difficult it is to down-convert HLG HDR, down to SDR, and that it's definitely something the broadcaster end has to do. :smiling-face:

Very interesting to read that "our HLG to SDR down-conversion was the signal source for the international 1080i SDR feed, reaching an estimated audience of 1.9 billion viewers worldwide.  Quite an achievement for HLG HDR, and one we’re very proud of." . Well done to all the technical people at the BBC.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Interesting read.

I bet we all suspected Sky weren't the only outfit there with UHD cameras, they could've made a leap of faith and broadcast it live, as they say themselves the feed was used as an SDR source.

Think I'm more inclined to get a Roku now. 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Interesting read on bbc r&d site.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-05-ultra-high-definition-dynamic-range-royal-wedding-uhd-hdr

Thanks for sharing - interesting stuff.  Seems to me that the BBC have still a lot of testing ahead.  That in mind it seems less likely they would be transmitting the World Cup in UHD.  Maybe they may use Wimbledon for more beta testing.

Also woule be nice if they put some of the Royal Wedding UHD up as the demo loop in place of the football!

Markbo
Explorer
Options

Are there any JS series owners here who have got the Roku Streaming Stick and willing to give a report on the results? Or maybe any KS owners who know of a JS TV they could try their Streaming Stick out on for us.

Also, can someone confirm that the stick’s YouTube player also supports HDR as remember we JS owner’s built in YouTube app doesn’t support HDR

It’s been suggested here that a future firmware update to include EDID by Roku could render their solution to our BBC iPlayer issues ineffective, however, it does occur to me, why would Roku want to do that. Surely the streaming stick is marketed for Smart TV owners whose TVs aren’t as smart as they could or in our case should be. The latest 4K Smart TVs are likely to have everything onboard that the Roku Stick provides, so introducing the EDID handshake would only exclude them from working with older TVs which is surely the target market Roku are aiming this device at.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@blenky wrote:

Also woule be nice if they put some of the Royal Wedding UHD up as the demo loop in place of the football!

Yes, ANYTHING except football! Not that I can see it, anyway.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Certainly an informative/interesting article and whilst an extensive process with testing, future looking good for UHD/HLG on Iplayer. Agree a pity The Royal Wedding was not broadcast live in this format, mostly watched the Sky coverage for this reason. It may not be ideal but think those affected should consider the Roku+.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Ikesie
First Poster
Options
Will the bluish work noow
0 Likes
Ikesie
First Poster
Options

@Ikesie wrote:
Will the bluish work noow

0 Likes
disrember
Explorer
Options

World Cup 2018: BBC iPlayer to stream matches in 4K HDR

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44308154

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@disrember wrote:

World Cup 2018: BBC iPlayer to stream matches in 4K HDR

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44308154

That's great news. Only caveat is that there is a limit to the number of streams.   Depending on uptake you could be unfortunate to have the technology but too slow to get on board. However should be ok for the less attractive matches!