Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-05-2018 01:27 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@About-Time wrote:
SAME TO YOU, HAVE A NICE WEEKEND, PERHAPS HLG STREAM FOR ROYAL WEDDING ONLY, AND NOT FOR SPORT.

Don't see royal wedding in hlg, instead footie seems to be in loop for uhd

Can confirm no royal wedding in hlg. Also looks lime no world football in 4k hlg from iplayer.  Source from What HiFi. 

Football world cup isn't ruled out yet, probably discussing with ITV who are yet to roll out uhd

Would be nice but ITV do not even broadcast DD 5.1 yet.  The ITV player is still only SD,  way behind IPLAYER. Saying that YouTube don't broadcast 5.1. 

crashcris
Voyager
Options

Football world cup isn't ruled out yet, probably discussing with ITV who are yet to roll out uhd......

LOL, ITV has the very worst of all the catch up players. To think they might ever get round to pumping out HD let alone UHD is the stuff of fantasy. Even Channel 5's MY5 is in HD and the ITV Hub constantly looks sub SD in 2018.

I can't believe that the BBC are not looking to bring the World Cup in UHD, but then again I read, on one of their Blogs from Oct 2017, that the way they were considering using 4k wasn't to necessarilly bring a 4k picture to our homes, they were looking at it as a way to cover sports events utilising fewer physical cameras/ cameramen, effectively using the higher definion to zoom into the image downgrading the resultant broadcast to HD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/academy/entries/d84e8062-340d-421d-b9c6-489f906a6840

It all seems that their commitment is a little lacklustre almost akin to their commitment to their 3d trials back in 2011/12 and we all know what happened to that.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Ok, I have now finished my testing.

Delighted to report that the Roku Streaming Stick + does indeed send UHD HLG over HDMI to the Samsung KS8000. This was tested using the BBC iPlayer BETA and selecting the "UHD Test Loop" of the West Brom v Southampton FA Cup tie.

Confirmed working through both a Yamaha AVR and plugged directly into the HDMI port of the TV (OneConnect extender).

When selecting the information function of the television the HDR logo was clearly displayed and the picture defaulted to the HDR presets (e.g. max brightness).

The only thing I would add was that I didn't think the picture quality was particularly good. I'll take another look tonight when the ambient light is better (it's very bright in here today!) but it all looked a bit over-exposed to me. Certainly much worse than a UHD (non-HDR) broadcast on Sky Sports. I haven't seen this test loop on another device so impossible to tell where the issue is (if there even is one!)

Hope helpful.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Hi mate, if you dont have the iplayer beta section ticked when you select the play uhd trial you should have the planet earth 2 demo, this looks better than the footy imo

good stuff though mate

cheers

stevej190
Pioneer
Options
Fantastic news, thank you for the news
0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Thanks Chopples, I'll have a proper play around with it later. Just wanted to report back headline messages before I get pulled out into the garden for "family time" !!

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

The only thing I would add was that I didn't think the picture quality was particularly good. I'll take another look tonight when the ambient light is better (it's very bright in here today!) but it all looked a bit over-exposed to me. Certainly much worse than a UHD (non-HDR) broadcast on Sky Sports. I haven't seen this test loop on another device so impossible to tell where the issue is (if there even is one!)

Hope helpful.

Hi. Glad it's showing as working but when you give it another test could you say whether the image PQ looks sharper, or less so, when comparing to a UHD and an HD Sky Sports image and/or an HD BBC sports broadcast. I ask as I previously bought the roku+ stick and returned it after comparing the HD Blue Planet II broadcast to the UHD (no HLG) roku+ Iplayer stream, to me there was little to differentiate the two. Perhaps the Roku Stick+ has been improved with the latest updates and would be worth me checking out again.

Many thanks. Cris.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

The main difference will be the HLG, for the footy it starts off a bit ropey but the up close shots look better than sky  q and you can clearly see the wider colour gamut in play. typical side on shots dont look as good on the demo compared to sky q imo, but you have to remember this was a test and when you are unable to control the light then it does take a bit of trial and error before you get it right, see the sky hdr thread and orange ferraris as another example of this.

cheers

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

The main difference will be the HLG.....

So not much for us JS owners to get excited about then. Were the sharpness to be improved then I'd look into repurchasing the Roku+, however that doesn't sound to be so. I'm interested to read what impressions others have.

All the best.

0 Likes
About-Time
Explorer
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

The main difference will be the HLG, for the footy it starts off a bit ropey but the up close shots look better than sky  q and you can clearly see the wider colour gamut in play. typical side on shots dont look as good on the demo compared to sky q imo, but you have to remember this was a test and when you are unable to control the light then it does take a bit of trial and error before you get it right, see the sky hdr thread and orange ferraris as another example of this.

cheers

Pleased my original post about Roku Stick + BBC IPLAYER 4k HLG HDR , now confirmed by a few others. 

Question is will FA Cup final be in 4k HLG HDR.

But will the World Cup.

0 Likes