Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 18-05-2018 08:30 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

I agree, it is a bonus - and a Samsung subsidised price point would be the least they could do.

However - this is not the end of the story. If all of this is as good as I hope then this only fixes the original problem, that of the iPlayer HLG trial not being available to us. The bigger prize will be the EDID update which will be required to watch SkyQ and other HDMI delivered HLG programming, including those from the BBC.

That italian guy was jumping a lot about fix coming for SKy italia - looks like he was here just for misinformation! looks like SKy Italia are not doing anything and as for Samsung one can easily discount that

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@About-Time wrote:

Another reason to wait, as I mentioned in a follow up post. The Fire TV 3 is also HLG capable. See review in a forums, internet streaming apps part: the BBC  Iplayer.In the case of the latter, the Fire TV gets in on the Ultra HD HLG HDR action with the beta version of the app ....

https://www.avforums.com/review/amazon-fire-tv-3-2017-streamer-review.14083

I've got one of these, and I had never even thought to try it. I just have, and it doesn't work unfortunately - unless the BBC have removed all the HLG trials from the help menus?

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

Another reason to wait, as I mentioned in a follow up post. The Fire TV 3 is also HLG capable. See review in a forums, internet streaming apps part: the BBC  Iplayer.In the case of the latter, the Fire TV gets in on the Ultra HD HLG HDR action with the beta version of the app ....

I've got one of these, and I had never even thought to try it. I just have, and it doesn't work unfortunately - unless the BBC have removed all the HLG trials from the help menus?

@mrtickle wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

Read the review and no mention of HLG support and a big downer was no pass through for dolby atmos or 7.1. Its also not very good at playing large media files. Going to check the iplayer hlg sample when corra adverts come on (the wife).

Just checked Iplayer have an UHD loop that plays 4k and it was showing football. If you do not see it then the tv can not recieve it.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

Read the review and no mention of HLG support and a big downer was no pass through for dolby atmos or 7.1. Its also not very good at playing large media files. Going to check the iplayer hlg sample when corra adverts come on (the wife).

Just checked Iplayer have an UHD loop that plays 4k and it was showing football. If you do not see it then the tv can not recieve it.

Which means it will not get you Iplayer HLG or even 4k. Once again misinformation.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

Might have got wires crossed, I am talking about the iPlayer Beta application running on the Amazon Fire TV 3 (launched November 2017) and NOT the internal Samsung iPlayer application. 

Please can you explain exactly where within the iPlayer the "UHD loop that plays 4k and it was showing football" was - exactly what keypresses, from launching it, to get to it? Thanks.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

Might have got wires crossed, I am talking about the iPlayer Beta application running on the Amazon Fire TV 3 (launched November 2017) and NOT the internal Samsung iPlayer application. 

Please can you explain exactly where within the iPlayer the "UHD loop that plays 4k and it was showing football" was - exactly what keypresses, from launching it, to get to it? Thanks.

On my friends Hinesse 6800 when he went to iplayer it gave the option to view UHD streaming and I watched it and it looked good. BUT it is only available for TV's and equipment compatible. If you do not see this on the roku, then it is not Iplayer 4K HLG compatible.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@dunwell wrote:
Huge news if true (no reason to doubt you at all)

I don’t think the iPlayer app on the TV will ever be upgraded and our best hope for this is an external device showing the content over HDMI. Whilst the best result would be through an existing set top box (eg SkyQ, Virgin) which I still think will follow shortly, this gives us an inexpensive option ahead of the World Cup which is only 4 weeks away

Next a nit-pick which might seem pedantic but it's important because it's been discussed so many times: 

The BBC iPlayer app on our TVs was never the problem: as discussed ad nauseam, it's the lack of support in the TV's underlying Tizen OS for the DVB-DASH standard which the iPlayer 4K streams (both SDR and HDR) use that prevents us getting HLG HDR from the internal iPlayer app. If the BBC had chosen to use the same HTTP-DASH that the YouTube app uses, for example, it wouldn't have been an issue, but they didn't, they used DVB-DASH which isn't even a new standard. 

:smiling-face:

Indeed. We are in danger of rehashing arguments from last Xmas.

If the app has been updated it would explain why people were seeing different results at that time. 

The only other new variable here is the Receiver and whether that's playing a part.

0 Likes
About-Time
Explorer
Options

Misinformation from whom, please my original posting "Quick update, just changed Roku Auto-adjust display refresh rate to disabled and still showing HDR  UHD 3840X2160/60 as expected, hdr sampling on 422. Last october my fire tv 3 box, showed HDR as well, but after a few days, BBC iplayer had Animal Planet loop removed, plus in developers page HLG got removed. So maybe Amazon will restore. "

And see follow up post were hlg mentioned.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

Tickler, it's the same place the Blue Planet II demo was, they've just swapped the demo over to a footy match that was originally broadcast live in 4K HLG. (So it's in the Beta app).

chopples123
Voyager
Options

For the planet earth 2 demo u just need to have iPlayer selected in the try new features bit and then play Ultra HD trial. For the footy you have iplayer BETA selected in the same bit (will probably restart the app if not already ticked) then select the same Play Ultra HD Trial button

cheers