Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 18-05-2018 07:00 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
About-Time
Explorer
Options

Quick update, just changed Roku Auto-adjust display refresh rate to disabled and still showing HDR  UHD 3840X2160/60 as expected, hdr sampling on 422. Last october my fire tv 3 box, showed HDR as well, but after a few days, BBC iplayer had Animal Planet loop removed, plus in developers page HLG got removed. So maybe Amazon will restore. 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@About-Time wrote:
Maybe Maybe, just fired up Roku Stick +, BBC IPlayer UHD loop now working, showing Southampton v WBA tie, and my Samsung KS7000 reporting HDR UHD 3840x2160/50 (info button), via connect HDMI input and via my Denon AVR. Can somebody else please check.

Interesting.  So the Roku+ is connected to your AVR which in turn is connected to your KS via HDMI?  This shows that, at least via the Roku+, the KS range recognises HLG via HDMI.  If this is true for £60 we can get HLG via iPlayer and maybe see some World Cup in that format!

0 Likes
About-Time
Explorer
Options

I checked plugged directly into connect socket and via my Denon HDR. No Roku stick + SOFTWARE update, running 8.01 build 4090 and last updated Mar 22 at 2109. But new Roku menu with Happy Streaming Day! Message. BBC iPlayer app showing version 4.6.97.1 ... Wed May 16 2018 .... framework version 8.1.2, config ver 8.1.2. So maybe world cup in 4k HDR HLG, via bbc iPlayer. Has anybody manage to confirm yet??.

About-Time
Explorer
Options

Up to now Roku stick +, only streamed In 4k. 

0 Likes
About-Time
Explorer
Options

On the question of HLG over HDMI, as HLG format has no meta data, and in theory HLG info would be ignored by non compatible TV's, so the issue being reported in USA, indicates HLG info being stripped from  by Cable TV STB. HENCE HLG HDMI EDID fix needed, but Roku Stick + sending signal, without stripping. This confirmed by fact my Denon Avr x2200, has not yet received HDR HLG and Dolby Vision update. Please can somebody confirm my earlier postings about Roku Stick+ passing HDR HLG, unless HDR10 being past as per march BT tv box one off trial.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@About-Time wrote:

I checked plugged directly into connect socket and via my Denon HDR. No Roku stick + SOFTWARE update, running 8.01 build 4090 and last updated Mar 22 at 2109. But new Roku menu with Happy Streaming Day! Message. BBC iPlayer app showing version 4.6.97.1 ... Wed May 16 2018 .... framework version 8.1.2, config ver 8.1.2. So maybe world cup in 4k HDR HLG, via bbc iPlayer. Has anybody manage to confirm yet??.

Hi this is potentially very good news, so to confirm from the info menu via the TV it just doesnt say 4k res UHD Colour (which is what it normally shows), it actually shows the "HDR" logo? 

You can further confirm this mate by bringing up your home menu bar and if you go across to settings, above in the bit you can quick switch picture settings there will be little HDR icon. Lastly if you enter the picture setup and it has changed to the usual HDR settings (Backlight ramped up to max is the obvious one) then it looks like we could be onto a winner for iplayer at least

cheers

About-Time
Explorer
Options
Yes HDR logo and I checked the HDR picture settings as well last night.

dunwell
Voyager
Options
Huge news if true (no reason to doubt you at all)

I don’t think the iPlayer app on the TV will ever be upgraded and our best hope for this is an external device showing the content over HDMI. Whilst the best result would be through an existing set top box (eg SkyQ, Virgin) which I still think will follow shortly, this gives us an inexpensive option ahead of the World Cup which is only 4 weeks away. Caveat - we still don’t know if the iPlayer will be used to broadcast the World Cup in either UHD or HDR but the signs are that something is being prepared.

I have one of these Roku+ sticks at another property which I will grab tomorrow (Saturday) and test with my KS8000. Will let you all know how it goes.
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Has anyone tried to putting HLG content through madVR on Windows 10?

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:
Huge news if true (no reason to doubt you at all)

I don’t think the iPlayer app on the TV will ever be upgraded and our best hope for this is an external device showing the content over HDMI. Whilst the best result would be through an existing set top box (eg SkyQ, Virgin) which I still think will follow shortly, this gives us an inexpensive option ahead of the World Cup which is only 4 weeks away. Caveat - we still don’t know if the iPlayer will be used to broadcast the World Cup in either UHD or HDR but the signs are that something is being prepared.

I have one of these Roku+ sticks at another property which I will grab tomorrow (Saturday) and test with my KS8000. Will let you all know how it goes.

This or the HD fury device to disable EDID check should enable HLG

0 Likes