Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-04-2018 09:13 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

That’s not right Paul. A fix for HLG over HDMI would indeed sort Sky Q and then iPlayer too from connected devices. 

How? Even our Italian friend said it was not a fix for SKY HLG!

What other devices do you know will all so do Iplayer HLG over HDMI!

If I am wrong then I will say sorry again!

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

That’s not right Paul. A fix for HLG over HDMI would indeed sort Sky Q and then iPlayer too from connected devices. 

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

OK say sorry!  There is currently a trail for a new Virgin Media firmare for the V6 box that has HDR firmware.  Users on the trial have confirmed that the iPlayer beta Planet Earth 2 clip does play in HLG over HDMI.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:
That was exactly my point Paul! That an HDMI / EDID fix would be very helpful for us. In your post around ten minutes ago you said it wouldn’t help SkyQ. It would help!

So please be patient with me but our Italian friend said that Samsung would be releasing a fix to allow HLG over HDMI soon but that would not enable the Sky HLG. I can understand that the Sky uses HDMI to the TV and I understand that a EDID fix should make the Sky box work, and this is what is confusing.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

OK say sorry!  There is currently a trail for a new Virgin Media firmare for the V6 box that has HDR firmware.  Users on the trial have confirmed that the iPlayer beta Planet Earth 2 clip does play in HLG over HDMI.

Ok so where is the link saying so?

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options
No, he was trying to say (in a second language) that firmware fix being worked on is for the KS TV and NOT the SkyQ Box. This was in response to a question from another poster (I forget who).

The fix for the KS will allow the SkyQ box to send HLG over HDMI to KS TVs if the EDID issue is resolved.
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

@AntS moderator  we have waited long enough. We demand a response from Samsung. Samsung has been dangling a carrot 🥕 for far too long.  Samsung stated that broadcast HLG is supported then why this  live broadcast of rubgby on BBC was not available to us. 

Why cant Samsung provide a proper response.  We all want to watch World Cup in 4K / HDR. 

Samsung have been on record to say they cannot (will not?) update the iPlayer app on the KS range of TV's to support HLG.  Our only hope is a fix for the EDID so any device in the future that has enabled iPlayer HLG can be played through our TV's.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

And is that to the KS and older models?

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

All the EDID fix does is tell the device its connected to a HLG enabled TV. When a device receives the EDID, it knows what the specs of the TV are. At the moment, the EDID only states the TV is HDR but devices (like Sky and DirectTV) want to receive notificaion its connected to a HDR enabled TV before it will send HLG. Its NOT a fix for the SkyQ device or Sky itself but it does tell the Sky box that it is connected to a HLG TV so that the device WILL send HLG content.

Any HLG device that requests the information its connected to a HLG TV before sending HLG content (like Sky and DirectTV) will NOT send HLG to a KS TV UNTIL they fix the EDID to include that information. Any HLG device that doesn't need that information or just that its connected to a HDR TV before sending HLG will WORK currently with a KS TV over HDMI.

Until Samsung update the EDID, there will be very limited HLG devices that will send HLG to the TV - When they fix it though, these devices will send HLG. Its not that the TV can't play HLG over HDMI, its that the devices don't know they are connected to a HLG enabled TV and therefore NOT sending the HLG signal. They are only sending the SDR version.

The equivalent would be connecting a 4k HDR Bluray player to just a 4k SDR TV. Because the TV doesn't tell the player its HDR enabled, those 4k HDR discs still play but only in SDR. This is why the fix is important. Its NOT a fix for Sky as was stated, its a fix to the information that the TV sends to Sky (or anyother device that's connected)

I don't know how else to explain it. Its been stated time and time again. If you go back to the end of Feb in this thread, the information was stated then too - inc the comments about Samsung planning to fix the EDID - in fact we had a discussion about it because you were aggressive about the fact that it wouldn't be fixed by the time F1 arrived in Italy and was speculated to arrive a month (or more) after.

The ONLY thing that has changed since the discussions around this back in Feb is time. We are still in exactly the same position we were in then. The same issue is still in effect and we are still waiting for a fix to the EDID - the information the TV sends to a device that tells that device what specs the display is capable of - nothing more. All a HDFury does is add a bit more info to that EDID the device receives, telling it that it is connected to a TV that is HLG enabled and therefore that device will send HLG content. Nothing else is changed.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@BAMozzy wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

All the EDID fix does is tell the device its connected to a HLG enabled TV. When a device receives the EDID, it knows what the specs of the TV are. At the moment, the EDID only states the TV is HDR but devices (like Sky and DirectTV) want to receive notificaion its connected to a HDR enabled TV before it will send HLG. Its NOT a fix for the SkyQ device or Sky itself but it does tell the Sky box that it is connected to a HLG TV so that the device WILL send HLG content.

Any HLG device that requests the information its connected to a HLG TV before sending HLG content (like Sky and DirectTV) will NOT send HLG to a KS TV UNTIL they fix the EDID to include that information. Any HLG device that doesn't need that information or just that its connected to a HDR TV before sending HLG will WORK currently with a KS TV over HDMI.

Until Samsung update the EDID, there will be very limited HLG devices that will send HLG to the TV - When they fix it though, these devices will send HLG. Its not that the TV can't play HLG over HDMI, its that the devices don't know they are connected to a HLG enabled TV and therefore NOT sending the HLG signal. They are only sending the SDR version.

The equivalent would be connecting a 4k HDR Bluray player to just a 4k SDR TV. Because the TV doesn't tell the player its HDR enabled, those 4k HDR discs still play but only in SDR. This is why the fix is important. Its NOT a fix for Sky as was stated, its a fix to the information that the TV sends to Sky (or anyother device that's connected)

I don't know how else to explain it. Its been stated time and time again. If you go back to the end of Feb in this thread, the information was stated then too - inc the comments about Samsung planning to fix the EDID - in fact we had a discussion about it because you were aggressive about the fact that it wouldn't be fixed by the time F1 arrived in Italy and was speculated to arrive a month (or more) after.

The ONLY thing that has changed since the discussions around this back in Feb is time. We are still in exactly the same position we were in then. The same issue is still in effect and we are still waiting for a fix to the EDID - the information the TV sends to a device that tells that device what specs the display is capable of - nothing more. All a HDFury does is add a bit more info to that EDID the device receives, telling it that it is connected to a TV that is HLG enabled and therefore that device will send HLG content. Nothing else is changed.

So you agree that untill we get this EDID fix our KS tv's will have very limited HLG support. Can I ask you as seem to be in the know do you know of a planned fix this summer for HLG over HDMI as our italian friend as said will happen.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I do hope the JS sets aren't getting overlooked. Even if the HLG isn't a possibility, I still want to hear from Samsung themselves that the JS sets will be getting 4k iplayer, and if not, then why not?

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I see some people have forgotten that it would be greatly appreciated if posters didn't copy and paste WHOLE threads to comments that they're determined to argue over, it really messes with the "feng shui" of these pages.