Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-04-2018 05:04 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@CarlH wrote:
Hi everyone. We've deleted some of the posts from last night as they were derailing the thread into personal bickering. Asking a source for information is fine but the user does not need to respond if so desired. We will leave it at that and encourage you all to continue using the thread as civilised as possible.

I think if the information is not from Samsung then the source is important. Any good news is good news but we all need to know where it comes from,  and to refuse that request is a bit odd when these forums are for sharing .

CarlH
Options

Hi all. We've removed the latest posts as they were derailing the thread from the topic.

@paul1111: It's a fair point and a question to raise, but if the other person is unable or unwilling to provide a verifiable source, it's best to leave it at that initial question, and trust in your fellow Community members' judgement on statements from anyone that are not backed up.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Any way back to topic and did anyone notice the Iplayer HLG test on Saturday with the rugby? My son said it was good. Pity I could not enjoy. So looks like Iplayer may be getting ready for the world cup 4K HLG. Nothing yet on HLG on Sky yet from Samsung?

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

I don't understand why this has all blown up again! Nothing has changed for months - even before Sky Italy started broadcasting in HLG.

Its clear that the KS TV IS HLG enabled and via HDMI. The issue is that the devices are not receiving the information that the TV is HLG enabled and therefore, these devices are not sending HLG content. All the HDFury does, is add to the EDID to tell these devices its connected to a HLG enabled TV so that the device will send HLG to the TV. It doesn't actually do anything more than that. The fact that when a device actually sends HLG, it actually plays as HLG on a KS.

All the EDID 'fix will do', if/when it comes, is let devices know that they can send HLG to the TV - it won't be a 'fix' to enable HLG via HDMI but will tell the devices that they are connected to a HLG enabled TV. Its a 'fix' if you like to the communication and updating the EDID (Extended display identification data what the 'specs' and capability of the display is - the fact its 2160p, HDR enabled etc) so that it now includes HLG enabled too.

The information that comes from Italy is NO different to the information they stated month's ago - before Sky even started broadcasting in HLG. Its no different from the information we heard coming out of the US too with DirectTV (exactly the same issue is stopping the DirectTV boxes from sending HLG - because the EDID wasn't updated along with the HLG enabled update). Both have said that they were working with Samsung on a fix and, as I recall back in the beginning of March when this was also a 'topic', a 'Fix wasn't expected in time for F1 in Italy - It was speculated for April but that was just pure speculation.

I don't understand why this has suddenly blown up again - nothing has changed - disappointingly maybe but we are still in exactly the same position we were in months ago. It was expected to come after the update for the Game Mode update too which only came a week or so ago.

Yes it would be fantastic if Samsung themselves would give us some information but as they continue to keep their silence, we have two choices, wait until something changes (whether that's info or action) or look to sell/trade or TV's for something that does fit your needs better. It doesn't make sense for ANY company to actively push you away towards their competitors as they not only lose a customer (perhaps for life) or more, but they also give their competitors a boost, a chance to impress and have a 'lifelong' customer (at least until they mess up anyway).

By updating the EDID, it would make the TV more fully compatible with most (if not all) HLG enabled devices rather than just being 'partially' compatible - i.e. sending up to 4k SDR only but not sending HLG. At the moment, the KS is partially compatible with SkyQ Italy, DirectTV and any other HLG enabled devices as these devices require 'more' information than the KS tells them. All the HDFury does is add an additional bit of information to that EDID that the KS sends so that the device knows its connected to a HLG TV and then sends HLG to the TV - which we know works! Therefore IF/WHEN Samsung updates the EDID, Any HLG device will work - not just the 1/2 that work now.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Its come up because some one has claimed that Samsung will be sending out a fix for the KS this summer. Where that information has come from is any ones guess.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@BAMozzy wrote:

It was expected to come after the update for the Game Mode update too which only came a week or so ago.

That's news to me, I never knew the HLG update was to be delayed until AFTER the Game Mode update. What was the source for this information?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@BAMozzy wrote:

It was expected to come after the update for the Game Mode update too which only came a week or so ago.

That's news to me, I never knew the HLG update was to be delayed until AFTER the Game Mode update. What was the source for this information?

I have asked for the source and as you can see I got told off for asking.

Very odd.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43879649  

I assume people with KS models were not able watch the rugby match? 

Did anyone try?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Did anyone try?

Two things in response to your question,

thank you for the link, and yes I did try and no as it does not give the option on my KS 8000. My son who has a 2016 LG oled did watch it. Looks like I will be watching the world cup at his house.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

Did anyone try?

Two things in response to your question,

thank you for the link, and yes I did try and no as it does not give the option on my KS 8000. My son who has a 2016 LG oled did watch it. Looks like I will be watching the world cup at his house.

did not work for me either.

0 Likes