Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-04-2018 08:28 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

so what are the chances the KS will be able to show the world cup on Iplayer 4K HLG?

I would guess zero chance.  The only way is for Samsung to fix the EDID so the set recognises incoming HLG and then to feed it a 4K HLG iPlayer stream from another device that supports it.

And if they could and wanted to they would have,  like Panasonic and LG. It is now obvious that Samsung will not or can not update the KS models. Still nothing from Samsung and to be honest I don't now expect anything. 

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

In Italy we are notice that Samsung is working for HLG on HDMI.

Saverio Casadidio
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

That's good can you tell us where you got that I information and why Samsung have not said the same here. I thought you had also said that hlg works over hdmi on the ks sets,  which we now know it does not except for hdfury and just Samsungs own player. 

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Hi Paul

I think @Saverio571 means that Samsung are currently working on an HDMI / EDID fix for HLG (rather than it actually working already)

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

That's good can you tell us where you got that I information and why Samsung have not said the same here. I thought you had also said that hlg works over hdmi on the ks sets,  which we now know it does not except for hdfury and just Samsungs own player. 

It is probably best to wait for Saverio but i think this is comment may be lost in translation. My understanding that someone from Samsung has confirmed they are working on a fix, not that a fix has been released

cheers

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Hi Paul

@I think @Saverio571 means that Samsung are currently working on an HDMI / EDID fix for HLG (rather than it actually working already)

I would like to know where that info came from because there has been nothing from them here.  If someone makes a statement like that usually they put the link to the info site.  That is all I am asking for.  There has been a lot of miss information on these forums so I now question things. 

dunwell
Voyager
Options
Fair enough, you're right about the amount of speculation etc on this thread. That said, the information provided from Italy has been excellent to date.
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:
Fair enough, you're right about the amount of speculation etc on this thread. That said, the information provided from Italy has been excellent to date.

I would question that as I remember we were told that hlg worked over hdmi which was incorrect unless you had a hdfury or samsung player. It is not unreasonable to ask for the source of that information because to say that it must have come from somewhere and that source should be shared. I again ask Samsung to come clean on this issue,  but again I doubt that will happen. 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

It sounds like BBC, Its really easy to tell as its FTA, linux boxes, PC  with Sat cards are all capable of showing the bitrate in realtime. Another way which can be done on a sky box for example is to check a recording and do a sum involving the file size and length and also adjusting for 8 bits in a byte. 

cheers

@chopples123 wrote:

It sounds like BBC, Its really easy to tell as its FTA, linux boxes, PC  with Sat cards are all capable of showing the bitrate in realtime. Another way which can be done on a sky box for example is to check a recording and do a sum involving the file size and length and also adjusting for 8 bits in a byte. 

cheers

Yes, I did it this way. Not very scientific but using the Sky+ app which reports recording sizes, and observing the reduction in the sizes [of the same length programme on the same channel] over time. There are lots of variables of course and I know they allocate bitrates using statistical multiplexing between stations on the same satellite transponder, but it's a general trend downwards.

CarlH
Options
Hi everyone. We've deleted some of the posts from last night as they were derailing the thread into personal bickering. Asking a source for information is fine but the user does not need to respond if so desired. We will leave it at that and encourage you all to continue using the thread as civilised as possible.