Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-03-2018 12:28 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@JAMES4578wrote:

@dunwellwrote:

This thread is not only about iPlayer. Ant broadened it over a week ago, it’s a perfectly legitimate line of enquiry. 

I think you will find that after consideration  the main focus of this thread was once again  iplayer UHD HLG, there are other legitimate concerns but not directly connected-as there is A SkyQ thread  probably best that Sky issues are addressed there. https://https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-OWNERS-ONLY-Sky-to-introduce-HDR-conte...

See extract from AntS '   original post 3 weeks ago:

@AntS wrote:

So going forwards:

• The topic of discussion for this thread is "iPlayer HLG on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs". I believe that's a fair assessment of the dominant theme in the thread - and what you're most concerned about. With @ewanstancarr's permission, I’d like to rename the thread so that everyone is clear on what the thread is about now.

• If there are questions or topics of conversation that have sprung from the thread so far; or ones that crop up from now on, it's best to create a separate thread for them.

Also this

AntS

Hi guys. Robot Happy

• I’ve removed posts from a few people from the past couple of days that were fundamentally pointless personal bickering amongst yourselves.
  • As much as I’d like one, I’m unable to give a timescale on the final official stance on the HLG matter for you.
  • Also, as there appears to be some drifting, a reminder that this thread's topic is iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs.
0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@disremberwrote:

a new firmware update appeared this week for my JS800, 1530.1.  It has been there a week and is not available to download via the TV, is only available from the website and drum roll... dosnt mention what it  fixes and no... bbc iplayer has not changed...  lovely bit of samsung customer service there..3 fails.

Thankyou very much for the information. Samsung (annoyingly) refuse to supply release information for their firmwares, unlike other manufacturers. I've known cases where people have had hour-long text chats with Samsung customer service ops who give them the standard ludicrous boilerplate which only really means "We've made it better" (Improved browser performance / Improved app performance / Improved stability / Improved usability of input devices) as if THAT was specific to the particular version they were asking about!!!

Anyway, that failure isn't really new for this version. Also firmware are always available on the website several weeks or even a month before it trickles through the OTA (over the air) delivery network. I think the only firmware I got on the TV itself was the one available the day I bought it :smiling-face:

cattv1
Explorer
Options

I have just updated my UE48JU6400K  using download from Samsungs website.

As stated by disrember no obvious change to the Iplayer which was unable to locate the Blue Planet 2 demo.

The changes made by the update are not obvious and I have been unable to locate release notes.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@cattv1wrote:

I have just updated my UE48JU6400K  using download from Samsungs website.

As stated by disrember no obvious change to the Iplayer which was unable to locate the Blue Planet 2 demo.

The changes made by the update are not obvious and I have been unable to locate release notes.

If the collective will indulge this slightly off-topic question, if you have a new firmware, please would you try Game mode to see if it auto-switches HDR settings, like Movie and Standard do? You don't need a games console for this:

1. Run the YouTube app.

2. Switch to Game mode.

3. Play a HDR youtube video (such as from "the hdr channel").

4. Pause the HDR video during playback.

5. Set Backlight and Contrast to Max.

6. Go back out and play any normal SDR video (you need to do this because sometimes the HDR in youtube gets "stuck" on.

7. Pause SDR video during playback.

8. Set Backlight and Contrast to the normal values you would use for SDR.

Then see if the TV auto-switches between "hdr settings" and "sdr settings" in Game mode when you play HDR and then SDR titles?

TIA

(I do not know if the 2015 models were also going to get the auto-switching settings in Game mode as well as the 2016 models, but above is the process for checking it when the time comes).

EDIT: very sorry, I realise I've been tactless suggesting YouTube as a source on the 2015 models, I forgot they don't support HDR youtube 😞  Sorry. . Any HDR source will do.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@ mr tickle... "I've known cases where people have had hour-long text chats with Samsung customer service ops who give them the standard ludicrous boilerplate which only really means "We've made it better" (Improved browser performance / Improved app performance / Improved stability / Improved usability of input devices) as if THAT was specific to the particular version they were asking about!!!"

Hi, It took me several infuriating Text chat experiances with many various companies before I became aware that you're not ever actually chatting with a person, just a chat-bot. The info they give out is always generic and you can end up going round and round in circles. You will NEVER get a definitive answer to a specific question.

(... HAL is typing an answer...)  "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. l think you know what the problem is just as well as l do."

cattv1
Explorer
Options

My set does not have a game mode therefore I was unable to perform the test.

However I was able to watch clips  on the Youtube HDR channel and also play HDR HLG test samples.

Not really sure if the resolution was really HDR HLG.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

This thread has gone dead.!  Seems we all have given up fighting Samsung . 

crashcris
Voyager
Options

Not DEAD, just dormant. Awaiting official statement from the company which, we are assured, will be issued at an indeterminable date, sometime in the near never or sooner.

I guess what irks me more is that even without a declaration from Samsung telling us what they intend to do to enable 4k HDR HLG BBC iplayer on JS and KS TVs, all my questions about WHY our TVs were not even given the 4K SDR BBC iplayer updated app, go unanswered:-

@AntS ... Is it due to a physical hardware incompatability issue, hence we'd never be able to get even the SDR version of the 4K iplayer, or is it a technical software issue that Samsung hasn't yet addressed and are looking into (or not) that prevented us enjoying the Blue Planet II trial? What is it that other companies, such as LG and Panasonic were able to do that Samsung have not?

I'd feel less bad if it were a case of "Sorry, your TV is totally not physically able to carry the BBC 4K app" rather than "We're not looking to enable the app on your set", but so far that's the ONLY statement we've had.

I want to know the technical reason my JS8000 has been effectively mothballed just 2 years after its purchase.

Happy Easter.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

I suspect the answer to that is already in the thread mate, although I agree it would be nice for Samsung to say as such.

4k SDR/4k HLG it doesnt matter in a sense the delivery method is the same regardless, my feeling is it that the issues are OS based. Samsung are not unique in this regard. Sony have exactly the same issue with there Android sets. The key difference is that Sony owners are likley to receive the Oreo update which will hopefully offer access to the appropriate api's and fix any issues.

cheers

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
Sony solved this day with a new firmware
Saverio Casadidio