Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 27-03-2018 09:38 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@paul1277... I think it was totally supposition and wishful thinking. An amalgamation of thoughts of how a superior Tech company would and should serve its "loyal" customers by making sure that all that could be done in time for any HLG broadcasts, would be done. Alas, we're lumbered with Samsung here so don't get your hopes up.

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

HLG of Sky works in Italy on Samsung 2016 series with HDfury.

Saverio Casadidio
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

HLG of Sky works in Italy on Samsung 2016 series with HDfury.

Yep, and there are images in the thread a few below this one.

I wonder how this would stack up legally if Samsung now come out and say it's 'technically impossible for this set to display HLG broadcasts'?

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

I dont think they will say anything, If it is a definite  that there will be no further updates then they will probably come out with some ***** about how the HDMI firmware cannot be altered. 

Legally i dont think anything can be done, the TV was released before the spec was finalised and was actually discontinued by the time the update arrived. If there was literature at the point of purchase then maybe there could be a case but even then they could argue they have fulfilled what they promised as it does work via the on board tuner, Useless for us in the UK of course.

If anyone wants rid then it far easier to go the smart things route as thats a slam dunk

cheers

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@chopples123wrote:

I dont think they will say anything, If it is a definite  that there will be no further updates then they will probably come out with some ***** about how the HDMI firmware cannot be altered. 

Legally i dont think anything can be done, the TV was released before the spec was finalised and was actually discontinued by the time the update arrived. If there was literature at the point of purchase then maybe there could be a case but even then they could argue they have fulfilled what they promised as it does work via the on board tuner, Useless for us in the UK of course.

If anyone wants rid then it far easier to go the smart things route as thats a slam dunk

cheers

Agree

KS Owners refund thread. 

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi guys. :robothappy:

• I’ve removed posts from a few people from the past couple of days that were fundamentally pointless personal bickering amongst yourselves.
  • As much as I’d like one, I’m unable to give a timescale on the final official stance on the HLG matter for you.
  • Also, as there appears to be some drifting, a reminder that this thread's topic is iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs.
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

This an interesting article about Samsung being sued for not updating their phones. Bit like us.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/26/dutch-case-samsung-lack-updates-finally-heads-court/

0 Likes
disrember
Explorer
Options

a new firmware update appeared this week for my JS800, 1530.1.  It has been there a week and is not available to download via the TV, is only available from the website and drum roll... dosnt mention what it  fixes and no... bbc iplayer has not changed...  lovely bit of samsung customer service there..3 fails.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

Thanks for the info. I have to wait for the OTA update (probably 1 month) as I don't have a PC. You've saved me from getting my hopes up. Any chance the JS has done anything to the YOUTUBE app (HLG for instance)?

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@dunwellwrote:

This thread is not only about iPlayer. Ant broadened it over a week ago, it’s a perfectly legitimate line of enquiry. 

I think you will find that after consideration  the main focus of this thread was once again  iplayer UHD HLG, there are other legitimate concerns but not directly connected-as there is a SkyQ thread  probably best that Sky issues are addressed there. https://https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-OWNERS-ONLY-Sky-to-introduce-HDR-conte...

See extract from AntS '   original post 3 weeks ago:

@AntS wrote:

So going forwards:

• The topic of discussion for this thread is "iPlayer HLG on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs". I believe that's a fair assessment of the dominant theme in the thread - and what you're most concerned about. With @ewanstancarr's permission, I’d like to rename the thread so that everyone is clear on what the thread is about now.

• If there are questions or topics of conversation that have sprung from the thread so far; or ones that crop up from now on, it's best to create a separate thread for them.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.