Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 16-03-2018 04:45 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Also looked at the Samsung Bluray player review and no mention of HLG support.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/samsung-ubd-m9500

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

I have just had a look at the review for the Oppo 203 and therevsi no mention of HLG support.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/blu-ray-players/1405903/oppo-udp-203-review-the-expensive-4k-uhd-blu-...

It does, via firmware update, HDMI2.0b means HLG

http://support.oppodigital.com.au/support/solutions/articles/4000094153-udp-203-frequently-asked-que...

OK but does that mean when updated to HDMI 20.b will it be able to send a HLG signal to the KS without the EDID?

Thanks.

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1111wrote:

OK so may I ask why do Sky not use the same work around and aslo all other devices, if it is posible, and why then do you need the EDID at all please?

The reason that devices - like Sky or DirectTV don't use these workarounds is because they won't to ensure that they are sending the 'right' signal to match up to the devices capabilities. Devices need to know what the TV is capable of to ensure that they send the signal that those TV's can handle. If, for example, the TV was only 1080p but the device sent a 4k image and the TV can't super-sample it, you would only get a quarter of the image - the middle with the other 3/4s of the image around that missing because it can't fit. With HDR/HLG, it may not even display at all - just get a black screen - this is why its important for a device to know what the device is capable of - not to bypass or workaround that.

What a HDFury is doing is basically telling the device that the TV is HLG enabled so it sends a HLG signal - because its between device and display, it can change the information that the device receives. The TV is only telling the device that its HDR enabled - basically updating the EDID to include HLG specifically so that the Device thinks its connected to a HLG enabled TV and sending HLG. If the TV wasn't HLG enabled, it wouldn't display it in HLG at all or at worst, just result in a black screen. The fact is though that the TV is able to detect that HLG signal and play it properly.

The HDFury is basically the work-around and its NOT ideal for the devices or the TV to use work-arounds as that can impact on viewing - give odd results - like images not fitting to the screen properly, the TV not even able to display the image at all - let alone in SDR. The correct thing is that Samsung update the EDID to include the HLG specific information rather than a generic HDR. This would them mean that any device that asks the TV if it can play HLG specifically, will get a reply back to say it can and thus send the HLG signal. The EDID also includes its Resolution too so if it didn't receive that the TV is 4k, you wouldn't be able to get 4k sent to the TV. If you have SkyQ or a games console like the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, these rely on the EDID to know whether they are connected to a 4k HDR 10bit display or not. Without getting back the right information, they may not work as expected. Turn off HDMI UHD Colour (for example) and a different EDID is sent which changes the way these devices connect and what they will offer. The principal is the same.

What the HDFury proves though, is that if you convince the device to send HLG because it now receives the information that the TV is HLG enabled, the content works as expected. This is how those 'experts' at DirectTV and owners of HDFury's were able to determine that the issue ISN'T HLG and whether or not that will work over HDMI, BUT that the TV itself isn't telling Devices that it can play HLG so they aren't even sending HLG content to the TV. To reiterate and put it in another way, its like the display not telling the device its 4k enabled so the device, even though it can send 4k, only sends 1080p because it doesn't know the TV can handle 4k because the EDID isn't telling it that it can. A lot of devices nowadays don't just 'plug and play' but actually communicate with Displays first and based on the information they receive, that will determine whether they work fully, partly (ie only 4k, only 1080p, HDR, HLG, DV, HDR10+, 8/10bit etc and any combination thereof).

As for devices 'x, y and/or z', these are hypothetical devices at the moment as it seems that there are no or very limited HLG devices. SkyQ for example isn't HLG enabled in the UK and neither is Amazon Fire, BT TV, Virgin V6, etc etc. ALL could and probably will require more detailed EDID information to tell them the TV can play HLG. We know that 'some' bluray players inc the Oppo 203 (if you don't want to count Samsungs) will work with HLG over HDMI without needing the EDID update (at least with 'some' content - may need it for other Apps IF (for example) these get HLG iPlayer updates. However, it seems that the majority will require a EDID update. IF that does happen, then chances are that ANY HLG enabled device, regardless, will work with the KS as it will be told the KS is HLG enabled.

Until that happens, if it does of course but then those in Italy are expecting a fix, then few devices will deliver HLG over HDMI because the rest won't be receiving the information that the TV can play HLG. Like I said, if those devices didn't receive the fact the TV is 4k HDR, you would only get 1080p SDR - this is why its now very important we get the EDID update so that External HLG devices will know they can send HLG.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Thanks @BAMozzy for that and I now understand much better and hopfully Samsung will have an update.

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1111wrote:

OK but does that mean when updated to HDMI 20.b will it be able to send a HLG signal to the KS without the EDID?

Thanks.

What this 'MEANS' is that it can send HLG over HDMI BUT not necessarily without EDID across the board. If, as has been proven, youtube app for example is happy to send HLG over HDMI without needing the HLG EDID information, then that will work - same with ANY other HLG enabled app/content BUT if (for example and not saying it will) BBC iPlayer needs the HLG EDID specific information to send HLG over HDMI, then that App won't work - won't stop youtube (or other Apps that only need HDR EDID) working.

You cannot say that Oppo will work across the board without the EDID update because some 'apps/content' may require that later on.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@BAMozzywrote:

@paul1111wrote:

Thanks.

What this 'MEANS' is that it can send HLG over HDMI BUT not necessarily without EDID across the board. If, as has been proven, youtube app for example is happy to send HLG over HDMI without needing the HLG EDID information, then that will work - same with ANY other HLG enabled app/content BUT if (for example and not saying it will) BBC iPlayer needs the HLG EDID specific information to send HLG over HDMI, then that App won't work - won't stop youtube (or other Apps that only need HDR EDID) working.

You cannot say that Oppo will work across the board without the EDID update because some 'apps/content' may require that later on.

The review says the oppo does not have any onboard apps. 

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Thanks @BAMozzy for that and I now understand much better and hopfully Samsung will have an update.

No probs.

Hopefully now you will understand that until Samsung do fix the EDID issue, the chances of external devices actually sending HLG over HDMI is slim - that again doesn't mean that the TV couldn't play the HLG content IF those devices actually sent it but that the devices won't even bother to send it because they believe (incorrectly) the TV can't handle it and therefore default down to the SDR version. Its like a 4k DV bluray player still sends a HDR10 version to our TV's because it knows our TV's are HDR because of the EDID. If the EDID didn't say it was HDR, Just 4k, then that Bluray would only be 4k SDR. The device plays the content at the 'best' it believes the TV is capable of receiving so Samsung MUST update the EDID to tell devices it can play HLG. Its not a simple case of just enabling HLG but also then telling these devices it is now HLG enabled too.

I apologise if I have been a bit abrupt, but in fairness, I have been saying this a long time now and have gotten a bit fed up with saying the same thing over and over again. Nothing will change though until Samsung do something about this - regardless of whether SkyQ update their UK boxes with HLG. I still think that SkyQ will be both HDR10 and HLG enabled - especially with Netflix coming. It makes much more sense for on-demand (inc Netflix) to be HDR10 (although I still expect BBC's on-demand to be HLG) but obviously not suited to live content like sport.

Until we hear from Samsung or even just get an update to fix the EDID issue, nothing is likely to change. The few devices that offer HLG without needing the HLG specific EDID will continue to send HLG over HDMI and work as expected BUT these will be limited and mean that not ALL HLG enabled devices will be compatible. However if Samsung do fix the EDID issue, that 'should' make most (if not all) fully compatible.

I agree its NOT ideal that we cannot get the in-built Smart Apps updated to support HLG but if Samsung can fix the EDID issue so that external devices offer HLG enabled content - and, as this is predominantly about iPlayer - that should give us a number of alternatives. As I said earlier, I would rather have an EDID update and buy a £30 external device than be forced to pay £400+ for an 'Evolution Kit' that does the same thing but enables us to use the internal apps.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Sorry you mentioned a way around it was to buy an evolution kit but I just had a look and its no longer available.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tv-accessories/evolution-kit-sek-1000/

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I think that was a hypothetical " buy an evolution kit", seeing as the fact that Samsung dropped these kits has also been discussed elsewhere on this forum ad nauseum.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Thats why I asked as I had also seen those discussions for the 2013 2014 Samsung owners.

0 Likes