Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 08-03-2018 12:58 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@amokukwrote:

I just initiated a small claim court action on Samsung. They have 14 days to contest it.

What reasons did you use as the basis for the action, if I may ask?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I have got to say there are a load more HLG and HDR clips and on Youtube and playing them with my KS8000 they both look stunning. I don't think that undewater clip showed HLG off to well becausebsome of the other HLG clips are stunning. Very impressive.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Just watched the two clips and I now can see that the HLG is a bit more like SDR where as the HDR10 does sparkle. Just my own thoughts, not a statement.

on the contrary i think HLG was as good as HDR on LG OLED (although you need to watch side by side to figure out any diffrence), i watched the same clip through Sky Q youtube app and in SDR it appeared to loose finer details

Howvere if Samsung KS is showing lot of variation then thoer HDR implementation could be over agressive

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@amokukwrote:

I just initiated a small claim court action on Samsung. They have 14 days to contest it.

What reasons did you use as the basis for the action, if I may ask?

I think that would be for the lack of the Smart Connect USB dongle which Samsung issued a statement on these forums saying that they are not now going to supply it to KS owners. As some retailers did advertise that then it can be seen as miss selling.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

I have got to say there are a load more HLG and HDR clips and on Youtube and playing them with my KS8000 they both look stunning. I don't think that undewater clip showed HLG off to well becausebsome of the other HLG clips are stunning. Very impressive.

dont get me wrong but perception of HDR seems bright and vibrant images which is unlikely in salty watres with floating debris, if same cllip had shots outside of the water then you would have noticed the pop - the thing i was looking for was details in corals and algae they were coming to fore if you have Sky Q or any othet SDR youtube source then try it and you will see the diffrence

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

Just watched the two clips and I now can see that the HLG is a bit more like SDR where as the HDR10 does sparkle. Just my own thoughts, not a statement.

on the contrary i think HLG was as good as HDR on LG OLED (although you need to watch side by side to figure out any diffrence), i watched the same clip through Sky Q youtube app and in SDR it appeared to loose finer details

Howvere if Samsung KS is showing lot of variation then thoer HDR implementation could be over agressive

See what you mean, the colours stand a lot do look bright and punchy but may be over coloured and I notice it when I look outside and things are not quite same. But saying that to my eyes it some thing of beauty and nice to look at. A bit like looking at a  work of art without a spot light on it and then with a spot light on it. If that makes sense.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:
I apologize. for Google traslation

No problem, so the KS is not able to handle to the SKY italia HLG/HDR signal signal and that is via HDMI, and the info you have is there could be an update in April to fix this. I know it does not affect us in the UK yet but I think it is still interesting to see how things are going?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@hdmiwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

See what you mean, the colours stand a lot do look bright and punchy but may be over coloured and I notice it when I look outside and things are not quite same. But saying that to my eyes it some thing of beauty and nice to look at. A bit like looking at a  work of art without a spot light on it and then with a spot light on it. If that makes sense.

Meant spot light off then on, silly me.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@hdmiwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

Yes makes sense, but the question is how does artist intends you to see his work, with a spot light or without one :smileywink:

amokuk
Voyager
Options

Smart things extend usb stick and hlg support.