Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 07-03-2018 04:07 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
AntS
Options

@UHDHDR: If there's any beer going, can someone send one my way, please?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@chopples123wrote:

My folks have a uh650v it’s a 2016 model, it does not support hlg. It is in the trial but will only display at 4k sdr

The set isn’t even native 4k but that’s another discussion for another time

cheers

@UHDHDR It seemed odd for someone to say they watched HLG on a set that does not seem to support it as above. You seen to like slinging mud, and no I don't drink. Can I not say anything here with out you or certain others having a go! 

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@AntS.. LOL, crikey, beer won't cut it, I think class As are needed to untangle all the toing and froing.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@chopples123wrote:

My folks have a uh650v it’s a 2016 model, it does not support hlg. It is in the trial but will only display at 4k sdr

The set isn’t even native 4k but that’s another discussion for another time

cheers

That's odd, as this set seems to be a lower model than yours, and it definitely supports HLG and is 4k native. I got the engineer to fiddle with the settings and we confirmed it retesting the BBC HLG Demo then some 4k content through YouTube (namely two of the Mystery Box vids, I really like the Peru one).

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Just got the specs and it is 4k and hdr pro for the 55 inch

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/226650b

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Hi Mate

Unless there has been a firmware update since December it doesnt, It didnt even support HDR youtube.

Yes the trial is there and plays fine but HDR isnt engaged.

The set is also 8bit with frc  and a rgbw 2880p panel with psueodo 4k. Even HDR10 (which does work) is a damp squid on it

On that BBC list which has long since been deleted probably only a couple of dozen of the devices where actually capable of displaying HLG. The criteria for getting on the list was to just  play the UHD trial, what you got was determined by the set. The Sky Q box was even listed

The KS series, like all the Sony Android TV's could not even play the stream so where omitted

cheers

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Just got the specs and it is 4k and hdr pro for the 55 inch

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/226650b

And this is the thing. This forum may have some experts but I am certainly not, but I do like to comment on things said as everyn one else does. I do not make things up but pass on information I have seen. It may not always be correct but that is what I thought this forum was about, was to try to get to the truth, by argument and discussion. I try to learn by making comments and asking questions. Yes I have asked if some work for Samsung and what is wrong with that. I have never insulted anyones mental ability but that is what is happening now to me and it is upsetting! 

amokuk
Voyager
Options
The guy is speaking in a second language using google translate probably to convey some fairly good info from italy to us, let give him a massive break shall we?
chopples123
Voyager
Options

Sorry fellas

I aint meaning to try and cause any conflict was just trying to stress  the LG set mentioned wasnt a valid barometer for the impact of HLG. I owned a similiar set, so have first hand experience. I have attached pics from when i was getting it ready to give to my folks, one showing the trial and also box to show the model. It Was not HLG 

edit https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1500441850 confirmation only the 2016 Oleds and Super UHD sets (the 10bit ips ones like the 8 and 9 series) where getting the HLG update

cheers

2202b089-7ee6-4ed7-a38e-5acaf7bea40a.jpge8f8f1b1-6daf-4fbf-a32b-8d1ca0fecaaf.jpg

AntS
Options

@AntS wrote:

@UHDHDR: If there's any beer going, can someone send one my way, please?

Just to qualify: I don't think anyone is drunk... even if I could do with a drink.

As I said before, there's no need  for anyone to get angry or personal with each other, and doing so doesn't really achieve much. If someone isn't getting what you're saying, you can always try thinking of another way of "saying" it. For example, a user here PM'd me about wanting to view threads differently. I told them how to do that, but they were struggling. So I took screenshots of me doing it on my profile, and sent them that. And it worked for them.

If paul1111 (or anyone else) isn't understanding what you're saying, try explaining differently, because he isn't going to be the only one who's lost in the fog.