Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 07-03-2018 02:39 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@hdmiwrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@Saverio571wrote:

It is right that the thing is resolved. But, to be honest, HLG is not very performing. It is not an HDR10. In a Samsung TV with HDR + activated, the image is hard to recognize it compared to an HLG. Just do the test with the usual jazz file in HLG and not in HLG. the difference in practice is not noticed if you take the non-HLG file and set the HDR +

Gotta be honest, I watched the BP II test on an HLG enabled LG and.... I wasn't blown away by it either. Certainly didn't look as vibrant and lifelike as the Planet Earth II UHD Discs.

However, small steps... 

Thing to note here is compared to UHD Disk, however compared to regular 4k on Sky Q diffrence was huge, those who watched on UHD may not be overwhelmed but for those who comapre HLG with SDR will be blown away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Jg4-ndUJI

Appreciate that mate, may have also been the TV, which 'only' had a maximum NITS of 350.

You mean LG OLED! that has way more max nits than 350!

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@hdmiwrote:

@amokukwrote:
Christ, ill correct for you

That's why ours tvs can play a very very limit subset of hlg.

All devices need the edid because if they don't they are breaking the rules and are by definition broken.

Of course they knew/know that these devices need a flag that is seperste from hdr, its in the specs.

Their own bluray players are broken, like their own tv sets are.

Actually for change on second thoughts I have to agree with KS implementation (unless they are violating the defined specs), since HLG is supposed to be backwards compitable - devices should dumpt out HLG signal as it is to the sets and leave the sets to decide what to do - unless there are issues with backwards compitability itself

STBs should avoid EDID check for HLG - at least theoretically

Thanks for inputs but can I just ask is the hlg signal backwards compatible with all TVs. That any TV will play a hlg signal.  Which I understand I think,  but it is then down to the TV to decide what it will do with that hlg signal.  If the TV can play HDR and sees the hlg signal as such you will get a high dynamic range picture.  If the TV does not see the hlg bit and or is not HDR then you get SDR  picture. Now just supposing the ks are not seeing the HDR part of the hlg signal which is what some are saying,  could that be the reason that some have said the hlg picture does not seem that good,  could it be they are just seeing a sdr picture?  I am not making any claims or stating a fact just asking a question. I do know when watching blue planet 2 on my sons LG it did look very good. 

I think he is confusiing everyone

Not All HDR content is cerated equal, you can have some crappy authoring, so if HLG content is not very pnchy then it is down to the choice of authors - I compared two LGE jazz samples one DV or HDR and other HLG - the HLG one appered less vibrant but appeared more natural - most important thing is if content is displayed as per creators intent,

Think  of comparsoiion with Cinema mode vs vivid mode

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@paul1111wrote:

@Saverio571wrote:

I mean that if an SDR image arrives on the KS, with the HDR + option you can simulate the image that you would have if the HLG arrived

Thanks for that,  was a bit confused,  so  you are saying is to get a HDR type image with hlg you need to enable the HDR + mode in the ks TV? 

For clarity Paul, no :).

He's saying that he thinks a HLG-HDR picture isn't as impressive with a "wow" factor as a HDR10-HDR picture.

Because it's less impressive, he's saying that feeding SDR into the HDR+ "fake HDR" Special Viewing Mode is very similar.

I don't necessarily agree that HLG is that bad, but it's a matter of opinion either way: however I think that is just the analogy that  @Saverio571 is using. :smiling-face:

EIther way, even if I've misunderstood, you definitely don't need to be in the HDR+ "fake HDR" Special Viewing Mode to correctly view HLG content on our TVs. Use Movie or Standard as you normally would with HDR10 content. 

(If you do use HDR+ mode fed with real HDR content, HDR+ mode has a compeltely different function to how that mode behaves when fed with SDR content. With HDR content it's very similar to turning on Dynamic Contrast)

HTH

looks like good news then that Italy can get hlg over hdmi with sky.  I am sure the picture will get better with updates. Or am I wrong on that? 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@hdmiwrote:

Perhaps, but when tone mapping is used the whole image is darker anyway :smiling-face:

Also, remember LG supported many more models than Samsung did - it might have been a 43UH610V (whcih was on the BBC list for example).

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/a0d951f

Max nits of that is just 400 nits, so it was a fair guess IMHO :winking-face:

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@hdmiwrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@Saverio571wrote:

It is right that the thing is resolved. But, to be honest, HLG is not very performing. It is not an HDR10. In a Samsung TV with HDR + activated, the image is hard to recognize it compared to an HLG. Just do the test with the usual jazz file in HLG and not in HLG. the difference in practice is not noticed if you take the non-HLG file and set the HDR +

Gotta be honest, I watched the BP II test on an HLG enabled LG and.... I wasn't blown away by it either. Certainly didn't look as vibrant and lifelike as the Planet Earth II UHD Discs.

However, small steps... 

Thing to note here is compared to UHD Disk, however compared to regular 4k on Sky Q diffrence was huge, those who watched on UHD may not be overwhelmed but for those who comapre HLG with SDR will be blown away

Appreciate that mate, may have also been the TV, which 'only' had a maximum NITS of 350.

Nah, it was a mid-range 2017 Edge-Lit set that had the HLG upgrade. Certainly not an OLED.

Hang on... I'll nip into the office and get the model number, you nit-pickerererers, you!

EDIT: It's a UH625V - looks like a 49"'er - but I was being kind calling it mid-range. Seems it's in the bottom of their HDR supporting range.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

My folks have a uh650v it’s a 2016 model, it does not support hlg. It is in the trial but will only display at 4k sdr

The set isn’t even native 4k but that’s another discussion for another time

cheers

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

HDR+ is a fake HDR mide that applies postprocessing to a normal broadcast and make stuff brighter and give more range between dark and bright. It has nothibg to do with real HDR or HDR10 or HDR10+. In fact as soon as the ks receives a proper HDR signal it get turned off automatically, its not needed.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@hdmiwrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@hdmiwrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@Saverio571wrote:

However, small steps... 

Nah, it was a mid-range 2017 Edge-Lit set that had the HLG upgrade. Certainly not an OLED.

Hang on... I'll nip into the office and get the model number, you nit-pickerererers, you!

EDIT: It's a UH625V - looks like a 49"'er - but I was being kind calling it mid-range. Seems it's in the bottom of their HDR supporting range.

Ok in that case just watch this video

I compared Sky Q and my replacement OLED C7 and PQ was mind blowing! 

All I can say is HLG is the real deal on competent sets

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@amokukwrote:

HDR+ is a fake HDR mide that applies postprocessing to a normal broadcast and make stuff brighter and give more range between dark and bright. It has nothibg to do with real HDR or HDR10 or HDR10+. In fact as soon as the ks receives a proper HDR signal it get turned off automatically, its not needed.

yes this italian guy is confusing everyone with misleading information - image in HDR+ mode on KS series may look brighter or puncheir but they will be noway near director's intent as KS will not treat this as HLG signal

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

On OLEDs that have low brightness the HLG has a greater impact than the Qled TVs with much higher brightness

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes