Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 07-03-2018 10:23 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1111wrote:

this is what I can not understand is the specs for sky's HDR should have been known age's ago and just for PR I would have thought Samsung would have made sure everything worked on start up in Italy. One thing I will agree with you on this if it does not get fixed is Samsung never made claims to support sky with any model so we can not really complain. It will also be interesting to see how other manufacturers get on. 

Specs for HLG are known - which is why our TV's can play HLG. The problem isn't HLG/HDR its that the EDID, the information that the TV sends to devices like the DirectTV or SkyQ box to tell those that the TV is HLG enabled, dosn't state the TV is HLG enabled - just HDR enabled. This means that those boxes think the TV isn't HLG capable and therefore won't even try to send HLG.

Its like not turning on the HDMI UHD Colour and devices not able to communicate properly so you don't get HDR sent to the TV. It doesn't mean the TV isn't HDR enabled. It seems the EDID is only sending out that the TV is HDR enabled (not HLG) and so Samsung needs to update the EDID info. Knowing exactly what devices want to receive is not necessarily going to be known for months. After all HLG doesn't need to be treated like HDR because its a single stream (hence Hybrid). Maybe thats why the Samsung Bluray Players work because they don't need the 'HLG' EDID - just a HDR. This may have caught Samsung out and they expected HLG to work under a 'HDR' EDID but some devices need to know that the TV is HLG specifically.

I don't know how else to explain it. Its as simple as I can make it. When a HDR device is connected to a TV, that TV has to tell the device if its HDR enabled or not - that's what EDID does. Some devices need to know that the TV is HLG enabled specifically (not a 'general' HDR - and we know Samsung sees HDR as all-encompassing rather than breaking it down into the different formats) but the EDID currently doesn't state HLG enabled which is why its causing issues. If they fix that 'communication' to tell the devices that the TV is HLG enabled, the devices will then send HLG. Its not that Samsung didn't know the specs of HLG, they probably didn't think (or know) that these devices needed more specific details - like the fact the TV is HLG enabled - until the issue cropped up recently with DirectTV. After all, it works with their own Bluray players.

If, for example, the EDID didn't tell a device it was a 4k screen, some devices may only offer 1080p content even if they are 4k enabled. That wouldn't mean that the TV wasn't 4k enabled - the same principal applies here but it seems some devices want to know what HDR formats a TV can support - whether its HDR10 HDR, Dolby Vision HDR, HDR10+ HDR or HLG HDR. The current EDID only tells devices its HDR enabled - maybe because Samsung expect that to be sufficient for ALL HLG enabled devices - after all HLG is a form of HDR and that worked with their own devices. Its difficult to say that Samsung should of known that other manufacturers devices may have required a more specific EDID months ago but as long as it can be fixed.....

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

It is right that the thing is resolved. But, to be honest, HLG is not very performing. It is not an HDR10. In a Samsung TV with HDR + activated, the image is hard to recognize it compared to an HLG. Just do the test with the usual jazz file in HLG and not in HLG. the difference in practice is not noticed if you take the non-HLG file and set the HDR +

Saverio Casadidio
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

It is right that the thing is resolved. But, to be honest, HLG is not very performing. It is not an HDR10. In a Samsung TV with HDR + activated, the image is hard to recognize it compared to an HLG. Just do the test with the usual jazz file in HLG and not in HLG. the difference in practice is not noticed if you take the non-HLG file and set the HDR +

Gotta be honest, I watched the BP II test on an HLG enabled LG and.... I wasn't blown away by it either. Certainly didn't look as vibrant and lifelike as the Planet Earth II UHD Discs.

However, small steps... 

amokuk
Voyager
Options
Christ, ill correct for you

That's why ours tvs can play a very very limit subset of hlg.

All devices need the edid because if they don't they are breaking the rules and are by definition broken.

Of course they knew/know that these devices need a flag that is seperste from hdr, its in the specs.

Their own bluray players are broken, like their own tv sets are.
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@Saverio571wrote:

Gotta be honest, I watched the BP II test on an HLG enabled LG and.... I wasn't blown away by it either. Certainly didn't look as vibrant and lifelike as the Planet Earth II UHD Discs.

However, small steps... 

Thing to note here is compared to UHD Disk, however compared to regular 4k on Sky Q diffrence was huge, those who watched on UHD may not be overwhelmed but for those who comapre HLG with SDR will be blown away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Jg4-ndUJI

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
Try HDR+. It's very similar to HLG.
Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@amokukwrote:

All devices need the edid because if they don't they are breaking the rules and are by definition broken.

Of course they knew/know that these devices need a flag that is seperste from hdr, its in the specs.

Actually for change on second thoughts I have to agree with KS implementation (unless they are violating the defined specs), since HLG is supposed to be backwards compitable - devices should dumpt out HLG signal as it is to the sets and leave the sets to decide what to do - unless there are issues with backwards compitability itself

STBs should avoid EDID check for HLG - at least theoretically

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@Saverio571wrote:

However, small steps... 

Thing to note here is compared to UHD Disk, however compared to regular 4k on Sky Q diffrence was huge, those who watched on UHD may not be overwhelmed but for those who comapre HLG with SDR will be blown away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Jg4-ndUJI

Appreciate that mate, may have also been the TV, which 'only' had a maximum NITS of 350.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@amokukwrote:

Actually for change on second thoughts I have to agree with KS implementation (unless they are violating the defined specs), since HLG is supposed to be backwards compitable - devices should dumpt out HLG signal as it is to the sets and leave the sets to decide what to do - unless there are issues with backwards compitability itself

STBs should avoid EDID check for HLG - at least theoretically

Thanks for inputs but can I just ask is the hlg signal backwards compatible with all TVs. That any TV will play a hlg signal.  Which I understand I think,  but it is then down to the TV to decide what it will do with that hlg signal.  If the TV can play HDR and sees the hlg signal as such you will get a high dynamic range picture.  If the TV does not see the hlg bit and or is not HDR then you get SDR  picture. Now just supposing the ks are not seeing the HDR part of the hlg signal which is what some are saying,  could that be the reason that some have said the hlg picture does not seem that good,  could it be they are just seeing a sdr picture?  I am not making any claims or stating a fact just asking a question. I do know when watching blue planet 2 on my sons LG it did look very good. 

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Image is similar as SDR image with option HDR+ of KS tv

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes