Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 07-03-2018 09:41 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
amokuk
Voyager
Options
Yes, quite. But its not working and handshaking properly for a reason. It doesn't work how it should...
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

* Just to clarify before this gets out of hand: Sky Italy is the platform that's getting HDR Formula 1 soon, not Sky UK. Sky UK is a looooooong way behind Sky Italy when it comes to HDR, to the point of it being embarrasing. Sky UK hasn't even started a beta test of any version of SkyQ which supports HDR in any form, not have they issued the firmware upgrades required to upgrade their boxes to HDMI2.0b (required for HLG).

* The April date that's now being copied everywhere probably came from the speculation (not fact) that we'll get our next firmware update in April. This is from >this source< :  "The April OTN broadcast is a regularly scheduled distribution, and the HDR GAME MODE patch (which was ready as of October/November of last year) is part of it."

[Lingo: OTN = "Over The Network", ie firmware upgrades distributed via the Internet which Samsung TVs can download automatically via the Support/Software Update page. If you want to do it that way, you can, but remember you'll get it 4-8 weeks later than those of us who just download it from the samsung UK website and install from a USB stick].

As regular readers will remember, we were due to have the "Game mode" HDR auto-switching enhancement before Xmas but Samsung Korea blocked all new firmwares until the backlog of bugs were addressed because they were furious about the constant buggy firmwares being sent out.

* But I'd be gobsmacked if the April firmware included the EDID fix because this bug was only reported and properly investigated/replicated relatively recently by the DirectTV users, unlike all the older bugs from last year. The message about that specifically passed on the news that there was NO TIMESCALE for that fix. So please DO NOT expect the EDID fix to arrive in April, I think this would be unlikely to happen and you'll give yourselves an ulcer. :smiling-face:

* Samsung is launching its 2018 televisions today (Weds). We are also apparently due to get an announcement from Samsung about HDR10+ on the KS 2016 models at the same event. We'll have to see what they say.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

* Samsung is launching its 2018 televisions today (Weds). We are also apparently due to get an announcement from Samsung about HDR10+ on the KS 2016 models at the same event. We'll have to see what they say.

Thats interesting.  Where did you get this information from?  I am little hopeful for a positive response on HDR10+ on KS 2016 Models.  I am sure Samsung would not want to give bad news at an important launch like this.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrticklewrote:

* Just to clarify before this gets out of hand: Sky Italy is the platform that's getting HDR Formula 1 soon, not Sky UK. Sky UK is a looooooong way behind Sky Italy when it comes to HDR, to the point of it being embarrasing. Sky UK hasn't even started a beta test of any version of SkyQ which supports HDR in any form, not have they issued the firmware upgrades required to upgrade their boxes to HDMI2.0b (required for HLG).

* The April date that's now being copied everywhere probably came from the speculation (not fact) that we'll get our next firmware update in April. This is from >this source< :  "The April OTN broadcast is a regularly scheduled distribution, and the HDR GAME MODE patch (which was ready as of October/November of last year) is part of it."

[Lingo: OTN = "Over The Network", ie firmware upgrades distributed via the Internet which Samsung TVs can download automatically via the Support/Software Update page. If you want to do it that way, you can, but remember you'll get it 4-8 weeks later than those of us who just download it from the samsung UK website and install from a USB stick].

As regular readers will remember, we were due to have the "Game mode" HDR auto-switching enhancement before Xmas but Samsung Korea blocked all new firmwares until the backlog of bugs were addressed because they were furious about the constant buggy firmwares being sent out.

* But I'd be gobsmacked if the April firmware included the EDID fix because this bug was only reported and properly investigated/replicated relatively recently by the DirectTV users, unlike all the older bugs from last year. The message about that specifically passed on the news that there was NO TIMESCALE for that fix. So please DO NOT expect the EDID fix to arrive in April, I think this would be unlikely to happen and you'll give yourselves an ulcer. :smiling-face:

Is it still not relevant if the sky Italia does not play hlg on the ks TV,  and therefore if we did have sky hlg it would not work with our ks? But canwe assume that if there is an update and sky Italia does work on the ks then our sky should work? 

Thanks. 

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Problem is not firmware Sky Q. The problem is firmware KS. If an update is released for HLG problem for KS, Sky Q HLG will work also in UK.

Saverio Casadidio
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@mrticklewrote:

Bet a Jammy Doughnut it's just a 'we'll be giving an update on HDR 10+ for 2016 models in the future. STAY TUUUNNED, LOYAL CUSTOMERS!' 'It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDDGDGGGEE RACERRRRR!'

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Is it still not relevant if the sky Italia does not play hlg on the ks TV,  and therefore if we did have sky hlg it would not work with our ks? But canwe assume that if there is an update and sky Italia does work on the ks then our sky should work? 

Thanks. 

If it doesn't work, chances are our TV's won't work in the UK BUT that doesn't mean that the status can't change by the time Sky HDR launches in the UK. By that, I mean that Sky may NOT work on a KS when it launches in Italy and if Sky were to launch HDR at the same time, our KS TV's would most likely not work with Sky either. HOWEVER, if Samsung are working on a fix, as it appears they may well be, by the time HDR does launch in the UK, there is a greater chance that it will work at launch.

For example:-

1. Sky HDR launches this month in Italy - KS doesn't work as intended (nor in the UK)
  2. KS gets an update that fixes the handshake issue in April (as speculated) - Sky HLG now works - update is universal across Europe.
  3. Sky HDR launches in UK May+ (Probably August for the Football season - like they did with 4k - again MY Speculation NOT FACT)
  4. As TV was updated in April, KS works as expected with SkyQ

If that scenario plays out, even if the KS isn't working in Italy at launch of Sky HDR and therefore wouldn't work if Sky HDR launches simultaneously in the UK, it doesn't mean that by the time HDR launches in the UK that a fix won't have arrived in time. It would be even more important then to keep an eye on how things develop over there and rely on people like @Saverio571 to keep us informed on progress.

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@mrticklewrote:

Bet a Jammy Doughnut it's just a 'we'll be giving an update on HDR 10+ for 2016 models in the future. STAY TUUUNNED, LOYAL CUSTOMERS!' 'It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDDGDGGGEE RACERRRRR!'

If they even mention HDR10+ (or any other feature/functionality) for the 2016 TV's. I wonder if they will mention anything at all about 'older' TV's an be fully focused on the 2018 range...

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@BAMozzywrote:

@paul1111wrote:

Thanks. 

If it doesn't work, chances are our TV's won't work in the UK BUT that doesn't mean that the status can't change by the time Sky HDR launches in the UK. By that, I mean that Sky may NOT work on a KS when it launches in Italy and if Sky were to launch HDR at the same time, our KS TV's would most likely not work with Sky either. HOWEVER, if Samsung are working on a fix, as it appears they may well be, by the time HDR does launch in the UK, there is a greater chance that it will work at launch.

For example:-

1. Sky HDR launches this month in Italy - KS doesn't work as intended (nor in the UK)
  2. KS gets an update that fixes the handshake issue in April (as speculated) - Sky HLG now works - update is universal across Europe.
  3. Sky HDR launches in UK May+ (Probably August for the Football season - like they did with 4k - again MY Speculation NOT FACT)
  4. As TV was updated in April, KS works as expected with SkyQ

If that scenario plays out, even if the KS isn't working in Italy at launch of Sky HDR and therefore wouldn't work if Sky HDR launches simultaneously in the UK, it doesn't mean that by the time HDR launches in the UK that a fix won't have arrived in time. It would be even more important then to keep an eye on how things develop over there and rely on people like @Saverio571 to keep us informed on progress.

this is what I can not understand is the specs for sky's HDR should have been known age's ago and just for PR I would have thought Samsung would have made sure everything worked on start up in Italy. One thing I will agree with you on this if it does not get fixed is Samsung never made claims to support sky with any model so we can not really complain. It will also be interesting to see how other manufacturers get on. 

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@BAMozzywrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

@mrticklewrote:

If they even mention HDR10+ (or any other feature/functionality) for the 2016 TV's. I wonder if they will mention anything at all about 'older' TV's an be fully focused on the 2018 range...

Well, they're absolutely making a big play that the 2018 sets are 'HDR10, HLG and HDR 10+' compatible out of the box.