Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 06-03-2018 07:15 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
KU and KS. Sky us very popular in Europe. Samsung will fix the problem for Sky.
Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:
KU and KS. Sky us very popular in Europe. Samsung will fix the problem for Sky.

It does move the goal posts a bit. I really can not understand a tech company as large as Samsung and a large part of it's customer base using Sky, me included will have to wait till April for a so called update that might just work to enable HLG on the KU/KS sets.  Is that reasonable when Samsung must have know the specs and one would have thought every thing would have been in place for the lunch of Sky HDR/HLG. You did say we should wait till the 8th March but now it's sometime in April, sorry but not convinced.

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
April is optimistic date.
Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
8 March for tester sky Q. In this date Samsung KS don't work with HLG
Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options
As I have said previously, almost like its not respecting the hdmi handshake and forcing something that doesn't actually work properly...
amokuk
Voyager
Options

@Saverio571 thanks for the info but april? Are they kidding? Not only that we are relying on some guy on a forum in italy to get this information in the uk? He could be the CEO of samsung italy for all i care where is the official statement fron samsung uk on ANY of this. We have some emails from the presidents office and rumours from a journo at forbes. Literally no official statement. No technical discussion. Utterly woeful. My letter if intent expired today, no reply after getting back to me within hours every day over two weeks previously. Im now going through the claims process.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@amokukwrote:
As I have said previously, almost like its not respecting the hdmi handshake and forcing something that doesn't actually work properly...

I sorry but I will have my rant now, and it seems like some others have gone quite, but again we have been miss lead.  There was some hope for those with sky you may get Iplayer HLG, but if Samsung can and have not rectified this issue by now, and they must have known the specs well before now I find it very hard to think they can do it at all! I again may be wrong but I now think all that about HLG over HDMI was to deflect from this. Again if I am wrong then please tell me as I know I can some times come to the wrong conclusions, but this seems clear enough to me.

amokuk
Voyager
Options
I think samsung are just glacially slow... And don't care because until now no cared enough.
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I think KS refunds is the place to go. There were some posters shouting yesterday who seem to have gone quite with this new info. I know it will not affect anyone in Canada but it certainly will in Europe!

Jay108
Voyager
Options

I am trusting @AntS  that there will be formal statement from Samsung soon on HLG and HDR10+. Depending on their response I will make my decision. If my KS9500 will not be upgraded to support HLG on bbc iplayer / Sky and HDR 10+  I will be fighting for a full refund.  And suspect most KS owner will be doing the same and will never trust Samsung ever again.