Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 06-03-2018 05:46 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I have seen the pics and yes it shows HDR over HDMI on your device so therefore I acknowledge I am wrong but I was just passing on what @saverioe574 was saying when he posted the link which said this,

A clarification about the Samsung TVs 2016 (K series) 

Currently through HDMI do not yet support the HDR HLG (Only via USB and Tuner support HDR HLG) 

Soon will come a new version sw that will also enable HDMI to HDR HLG 

While the models 2015 (J series) of Samsung will never be made compatible with the HDR HLG

This is why I have requested that Samsung explain the situation here through the mods just like they have with the dongle. I think every ones input is important and should be allowed to have there say but it is only Samsung who can really answer our questions.
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
8 March. New firmware in Italy with 4k HDR for tester. In this date we know if Sky Q HDR is compatible with Samsung tv 2016.
Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I have been told off again so I will say sincerely sorry to anyone I have upset on this and any other forum's. I know I can some times get a bit heated and will try harder to keep calm and keep my hair on. Bit difficult as I am as bald.

It is just very annoying that Samsung themselves will not come clean.

@Saverio571 says a new firmware coming out on the 8th and it would be nice if Samsung actually said what it will do or is for.

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
New firmware is for Sky Q Italy for 4k HDR. Not for Tv.
Nobody know when a new fw for Tv Will come.
Saverio Casadidio
amokuk
Voyager
Options
Thank you for recognising that we all got a bit over the top yesterday Paul, We all share your frustration.

I believe the firmware is from sky italy to their set top box.
amokuk
Voyager
Options
@saverio is this hdr or hlg?
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:
New firmware is for Sky Q Italy for 4k HDR. Not for Tv.
Nobody know when a new fw for Tv Will come.

Sorry thought it was for the TV, getting carried away again. Will be interesting as I thought some were saying the KS needed an update to recieve the Sky HLG. If Sky is just using HDR10 then that should work fine as far as I understand. Please correct me if I am wrong because I do want to understand what is going on.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Thats correct mate  I believe its  the broadcast channel which is already live (someone posted the frequency on hotbird earlier in the thread) this will be HLG 

Nobody knows for certain but we are making assumptions it wont work due to the issues with DirectTV. Once the boxes in italy have been updated we should know where we stand

cheers

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Sky Will use HLG.

Saverio Casadidio
amokuk
Voyager
Options
It cant use hdr10 for live stream. You can't set up the metadata on the fly. Hdr10 will only used for on demand