Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 27-01-2018 01:30 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I second the Questions to the moderator @Ant5 but want to know concerning the 2015 JS8000 models too. I'm not bothered if I can't get the HLG but absolutely want the 4k Iplayer app installed.

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options

Pleased to see Panasonic 65EX750B has been reduced to £1499 at a number or retailers. What I save in price reduction will cover cost of small claims court, even if I’m sucessful. Best of all will ask Fenwicks of Newcastle to price match on interest free. They say revenge is sweet lol

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JTE wrote:

Pleased to see Panasonic 65EX750B has been reduced to £1499 at a number or retailers. What I save in price reduction will cover cost of small claims court, even if I’m sucessful. Best of all will ask Fenwicks of Newcastle to price match on interest free. They say revenge is sweet lol

Have you tried the 1974 consumer credit act section 75? 

Paul

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options

Unfortunately it was store credit which means CCA para 75 does not apply. Will however be using credit card for deposit on this occasion so that I will be covered should there be any problems with this purchase. Which to be honest I do not expect with Panasonic. Bye bye Samsung and see Fenwicks in court for a full miselling claim and refund. Nice to think they might eventually pay for my new TV.

0 Likes
cattv1
Explorer
Options

I agree.

What us J and K series owners really want is for Samsung to update the sets so that we can receive the I player in 4K.

This thread has in recent weeks been dominated by other related subjects and we seem to have forgotten the original purpose of opening the thread.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JTE wrote:

Unfortunately it was store credit which means CCA para 75 does not apply. Will however be using credit card for deposit on this occasion so that I will be covered should there be any proact. ms with this purchase. Which to be honest I do not expect with Panasonic. Bye bye Samsung and see Fenwicks in court for a full miselling claim and refund. Nice to think they might eventually pay for my new TV.

I am pretty sure you can claim against the store card under the same 1974 credit consumer act. Email the issuer with the detail's and they must respond. 

Paul

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options
Afraid not, I have already checked with Financial Services Ombudsman which is where I also got advice to use credit card for deposit to get around that problem with future purchases.
TheChosenOne
Explorer
Options
Not really, this thread has excelled in the knowledge of consumer power and ways to beat down corporate greed that Samsung has shown.
Intially we all vented our frustration for the lack of 4k and HLG iPlayer during the Blue planet trial. However, that didn't work and the only way Samsung would listen is when every customers asks for a refund and by the looks of things the Smart thing dongle is a great way of achieving that.
Regardless of the result, I will never purchase or recommed a Samsung device again.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@cattv1 wrote:

I agree.

What us J and K series owners really want is for Samsung to update the sets so that we can receive the I player in 4K.

This thread has in recent weeks been dominated by other related subjects and we seem to have forgotten the original purpose of opening the thread.

I totally agree with you but Samsung have been asked and we have had now meaning full answer.  So I ask you what other options do anyone here have?  The only people who may be able to apply the pressure is the retailers and for them to do that they need to feel the pain in lost money due to refunds.  If you have a better way please enlighten us please. 

Paul

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JTE wrote:
Afraid not, I have already checked with Financial Services Ombudsman which is where I also got advice to use credit card for deposit to get around that problem with future purchases.

I find that strange because I made a claim when I bought some goods on interest free credit.  Found out it was second hand and made a claim against the store'sin house credit supplier.  I claimed a breech of contract do to miss selling.  Took a couple of months but I won.  The best thing with this type of credit is the item is yours once you have paid the deposits.  That means if there is a breech of contract I. e. misrepresentation and you win against the stores credit you get a full refund and get to keep the item's. That's why I think that advice is odd.  I would suggest emailing the store credit issuer and see what happens. If you win its the retailer who has to refund the credit issuer so the credit issuer are impartial as they will not lose out. Revenge is sweet is you also get to keep the set as a spare.  No harm trying a email. 

Paul

0 Likes