Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 06-01-2018 12:31 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@JTE wrote:

I also purchased the HU55JS9000 and have advised retailer intention to

submit  Small Court Claim on grounds it is neither smart or future proof as promised. Samsung rely on early adopters paying premium prices to support new technology. Retailer has written to Samsung before advising their position but as I understand Samsung have dropped One Box entirely now and only committed to firmware updated for 2016 TVs: Odly, I purchased on store interest free credit and under the Consumer Credit Act section 75 can also make a request for full refund as goods are not as described and can first easily ask FSA to interveine if retailer refuses a refund which removes the £110 risk of a Small Claim at County Court.

I did mine on 12 months buy now pay later in store does this mean I can claim under section 75?

quick google and this is not the case as section 75 does not apply if the lender is also the supplier in which case Currys are.

Section 75 covers court cost which you can include in your claim

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Response from Currys looks like they are happy to go to court.

Thank you for your email dated 5th January 2018.  I would have liked to discuss this further over the telephone, however, it was not possible to locate a contact number for you.

I am sorry that we can't remedy this to your satisfaction.  Any instances of miss-sale would need to be raised within  reasonable time.  I understand you know escalate this legally and apologise you feel the need to do this.

Although this may not be the response you were looking for I trust we have clearly explained our position on this matter. 

Kind regards,

Tom Wright
Team Knowhow

Nasty. Note again their attempt to get you on the phone. 

Do not EVER speak to them on the phone. Insist that EVERYTHING is done in writing.

They are not above the law.

They are deliberately ignoring the new law. I agree with the other posts.

First, it doesn't cost you anything but a stamp to send a letter of intent. Not an email, a letter, sent Recorded Delivery. They love those.

And, it is very very cheap to lodge a case in the Small Claims court (that's what it is for). NB: "Small Claims" = up to £10,000.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/small-claims-court

• £25 - £410 Initial claim fee - to start your claim (when done online).

• £40 Court allocation fee - to get the claim to the court (if claim is over £1,500). 

• £25 - £325 Hearing fee - paid if and when your case gets to court (when done online).

Cost to you:  £25 x 2 isn't it? Which you get back when you win.

"If you win your case, you'll get the court fees back as well as the claim, and you can ask for certain expenses."

Yes as the final award also covers cost to you, the loser pays all, but I would recommend talking to trading standards first! It costs nothing

Frazzler
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I think the way Samsung are treating their customers is appalling. They have clearly let the press publish details about HLG support and knowingly let consumers buy their product in the knowledge that they won’t receive the capability. The only HLG content that is available is the iPlayer and this cant be viewed. This is dishonest and shows their contempt for consumers. I won’t buy anything Samsung again.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@hdmi wrote:

48 to 72 hour wait for returns authorization code as Samsung seem to be playing ball

If you are dealing with Currys how did you get to this stage?

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@Jones1 wrote:

I think the issue here with miss sell maybe that if you purchased the tv with the understanding it would come with a dongle then it's reasonable to assume you would contact the company and let them know a  bit closer to purchase date, this would have then demonstrated you purchased the product on the basis you would receive the dongle. Regarding the hlg support, providing you purchased after the media releases I think this would qualify in all instances specially given that we have only recently been able to test. This is only my opinion and I am aware of the various legislation around miss selling. I would however progress to small claims regardless it is likely currys  would pick costs along with time and resource regardless and due to this quite possibly agree to settle prior to court regardless of if they agree or not

I can't believe Samsung have not just added this in for the other models, I love my ks9000 but really disappointed with this!

I do agree with what you said however in my opinion if the law gives you up to 6 years to ask for a refund/replacement then anytime before the 6 years is legally ok irrespective of how long you may of taken to get back to Currys.

I am happy to go as far as a letter of intent in writing as well as emailing the CEO but going to court is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Discuss with trading standards and they will suggest best course of action, then it is your choice if you are happy with status quo

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@Jones1 wrote:

I think the issue here with miss sell maybe that if you purchased the tv with the understanding it would come with a dongle then it's reasonable to assume you would contact the company and let them know a  bit closer to purchase date, this would have then demonstrated you purchased the product on the basis you would receive the dongle. Regarding the hlg support, providing you purchased after the media releases I think this would qualify in all instances specially given that we have only recently been able to test. This is only my opinion and I am aware of the various legislation around miss selling. I would however progress to small claims regardless it is likely currys  would pick costs along with time and resource regardless and due to this quite possibly agree to settle prior to court regardless of if they agree or not

I can't believe Samsung have not just added this in for the other models, I love my ks9000 but really disappointed with this!

I do agree with what you said however in my opinion if the law gives you up to 6 years to ask for a refund/replacement then anytime before the 6 years is legally ok irrespective of how long you may of taken to get back to Currys.

I am happy to go as far as a letter of intent in writing as well as emailing the CEO but going to court is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Discuss with trading standards and they will suggest best course of action, then it is your choice if you are happy with status quo

Filled the online form in to report Currys to Trading Standards

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Been reading your post's with interest. It is encouraging that Curry's are not denying miss selling. I strongly agree with also looking at the Credit Card section 75 route. They are under strict rules to adhere to this act and if you think they have not you can report it to the FSA (google to find) who will investigate. Best bit it cost's you nothing. The store may try to just give you vouchers or try to knock some money off for time you have had the TV. With section 75 refund you get the full amount. It only takes a usually free call to your credit card or store card issuer to start the ball rolling. It might also be useful to mention in your correspondence to the retailers that you are also going to contact the credit card issuer. They have no control over section 75 and the credit card companies response. The credit card issuer when they issue a refund deduct it from the retailers.  

What the retailers love to see and here is some one saying they never would take legal action, because what incentive is there for the retailer to do the right thing if there is no threat of legal action.

I am still waiting for a response from DA Tech

Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

Been reading your post's with interest. It is encouraging that Curry's are not denying miss selling. I strongly agree with also looking at the Credit Card section 75 route. They are under strict rules to adhere to this act and if you think they have not you can report it to the FSA (google to find) who will investigate. Best bit it cost's you nothing. The store may try to just give you vouchers or try to knock some money off for time you have had the TV. With section 75 refund you get the full amount. It only takes a usually free call to your credit card or store card issuer to start the ball rolling. It might also be useful to mention in your correspondence to the retailers that you are also going to contact the credit card issuer. They have no control over section 75 and the credit card companies response. The credit card issuer when they issue a refund deduct it from the retailers.  

What the retailers love to see and here is some one saying they never would take legal action, because what incentive is there for the retailer to do the right thing if there is no threat of legal action.

I am still waiting for a response from DA Tech

Paul

If you're following my posts I didn't pay for anything by credit card and signed a "fixed sum loan agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974" in-store at the time.

Trying to decifer this as well.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/1014/schedules/sld/made?view=plain

Also just realised what you said Currys are not denying mis-selling the goods so if they do not relent I will ask them to confirm or should I say demand they confirm in writing that they knowingly mis-sold me a television and that their entire argument falls on the period of time taken to inform them about this.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Also don't forget this link

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/m-p/372447/highlight/false#M6794

promising HDR10 + for 2016 set's. This is also miss selling.

Paul

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

I brought mine before that promise so cannot use that as an argument against mis-selling so sticking primarily to the smart things extend only.

0 Likes