Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 30-12-2017 05:20 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

I think the best way to start the process for a refund for miss selling is to use the Which tool. I have put the link in below.

https://www.which.co.uk/tools/faulty-goods-complaint-tool/

Paul

All very nice but that doesn't give everyone else a working 4k HLG iPlayer. Shouldn't the main aim to be to secure that, with getting refunds very much a last resort?

Think about what actually has to happen on the ground for us to get what we want. Technical people at both the BBC and Samsung, two sets of people who are both now on holiday over the Christmas break, need to talk to each other (either/both companies having hopefully decided to change their positions and support the 2016 and 2015 models) and then do certain things:

* perhaps only configuration changes on iPlayer servers;

* perhaps a patched version of the iPlayer app needs to be created, tested, then submitted from the BBC to Samsung for testing and uploading to the "Smart Hub" servers, which will then eventually appear for us to install;

* perhaps it even needs a firmware upgrade (that's what the BBC were saying, but I think that's a flat-out lie: we have had HLG support since Feb 2017; we have DVB-DASH support because the NetFlix app uses it; and what was delivered before Xmas for the 2017 model was not a firmware upgrade at all despite their webpage saying it needed firmware, hey presto it was just a simple patch to the iPlayer app);

* etc. (other things it actually needs beyond our user speculation on a forum!)

The BBC's short "test" clip from Planet Earth 2 is permanent and will remain for us to test, because it's very unlikely that all this will happen before mid-January and BP2 expires. I'd like it to be quicker but speaking from experience I doubt it.

This sequence of events cannot all happen in zero time, so if anyone is expecting results last week or this week then sorry but they are not being realistic :(. The most that could (and should) happen quickly IMHO is some sort of statement early in the new year along the lines of "we've listened and changed our minds and we'll keep the promise after all without any stupid technical get-outs".

That is the outcome I personally want the most, not an easy refund.

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

I think the best way to start the process for a refund for miss selling is to use the Which tool. I have put the link in below.

Paul

All very nice but that doesn't give everyone else a working 4k HLG iPlayer. Shouldn't the main aim to be to secure that, with getting refunds very much a last resort?

Think about what actually has to happen on the ground for us to get what we want. Technical people at both the BBC and Samsung, two sets of people who are both now on holiday over the Christmas break, need to talk to each other (either/both companies having hopefully decided to change their positions and support the 2016 and 2015 models) and then do certain things:

* perhaps only configuration changes on iPlayer servers;

* perhaps a patched version of the iPlayer app needs to be created, tested, then submitted from the BBC to Samsung for testing and uploading to the "Smart Hub" servers, which will then eventually appear for us to install;

* perhaps it even needs a firmware upgrade (that's what the BBC were saying, but I think that's a flat-out lie: we have had HLG support since Feb 2017; we have DVB-DASH support because the NetFlix app uses it; and what was delivered before Xmas for the 2017 model was not a firmware upgrade at all despite their webpage saying it needed firmware, hey presto it was just a simple patch to the iPlayer app);

* etc. (other things it actually needs beyond our user speculation on a forum!)

The BBC's short "test" clip from Planet Earth 2 is permanent and will remain for us to test, because it's very unlikely that all this will happen before mid-January and BP2 expires. I'd like it to be quicker but speaking from experience I doubt it.

This sequence of events cannot all happen in zero time, so if anyone is expecting results last week or this week then sorry but they are not being realistic :(. The most that could (and should) happen quickly IMHO is some sort of statement early in the new year along the lines of "we've listened and changed our minds and we'll keep the promise after all without any stupid technical get-outs".

That is the outcome I personally want the most, not an easy refund.

I totally agree with you and if Samsung sorted out or even gave us a commitment to sort the Iplayer HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+ then yes I would say hang on but they have not and it is easier to claim a refund in the first six months (you still have upto 6 years). Samsung very quickly sorted their 2017 models and it would have stopped all this if they had done the same with their older set's, but they did not and even said they were not supporting their older TV's, ask @Anonymous User. With that statement it left all the Samsung older loyal customers with only one option, which is to ask for a refund for miss selling on the grounds of no Smart connect, no HDR10+ and no full hlg support. I think as soon as Samsung actually says they will do the right thing I stand by the easy refund route(easy, glad you acknowledged that it is an easy route).

crashcris
Voyager
Options

On a side note. The TV listings for tonight BBC4 include a 1 hour compilation of Planet Earth II, whose description is "Compilation from the wildlife documentary series presented by David Attenborough, visiting animals in their habitats across the globe, recorded in stunning ultra-high definition."

Unless I'm jumping to wild flights of fancy, I expect that this show will also be added to the BBC UHD HLG iplayer trial. Something else that Samsung 2014/15/16 TV owners will not be able to enjoy! However if this is going to be added to the trial then effectively the trial period might be extended as this would cease to be available until the end of January as opposed to 16 Jan for the BP2 trial.

Come on Samsung, pull your fingers out and deliver at least UHD iplayer to all the capable TVs, irrespective of their year.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@crashcris wrote:

On a side note. The TV listings for tonight include a 1 hour compilation of Planet Earth II, whose description is "Compilation from the wildlife documentary series presented by David Attenborough, visiting animals in their habitats across the globe, recorded in stunning ultra-high definition."

Unless I'm jumping to wild flights of fancy, I expect that this show will also be added to the BBC UHD HLG iplayer trial. Something else that Samsung 2014/15/16 TV owners will not be able to enjoy! However if this is going to be added to the trial then effectively the trial period might be extended as this would cease to be available until the end of January as opposed to 16 Jan for the BP2 trial.

Come on Samsung, pull your fingers out and deliver at least UHD iplayer to all the capable TVs, irrespective of their year.

And that is the issue as @ant2 has already  stated Samsung's position, in that they will not be supporting BBC Iplayer HLG! There is no mention that they may in the future so I am of the opinion, that they will stick with that and try to ride this out.  That is why I think the only way forward is for every KS owner to try the Which tool, it won't hurt and will tell you if you have a claim in seconds.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

And that is the issue as @ant2 has already  stated Samsung's position, in that they will not be supporting BBC Iplayer HLG! 

That was a first "we have no plans" response, before later appealing for as many 2015 and 2016 owners to post 'ere as possible, and make their feelings known.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

And that is the issue as @ant2 has already  stated Samsung's position, in that they will not be supporting BBC Iplayer HLG! 

That was a first "we have no plans" response, before later appealing for as many 2015 and 2016 owners to post 'ere as possible, and make their feelings known.

And so far has fell on deaf ears, so we need to shout a little bit loader.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

Perhaps those Lucky, lucky 2017 TV owners who have had this service switched on, could please confirm or deny if the programme to be aired on BBC4 tonight, Planet Earth II, is later included in the UHD HLG test and for how long it will appear in the test (if it is at all).

Many thanks.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Yes if you like, but the most likely and obvious reason is because it's the Xmas holiday.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Yes if you like, but the most likely and obvious reason is because it's the Xmas holiday.

Did not know the Koreans had Xmas holiday! They switched on the 2017 sets so they could also have done the same for the older sets.

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Agreed. We won't hear anything further official on this until January or February I would expect. It is good however to keep the volume of posts up. Did anybody tweet BBC watchdog or similar.   I am happy to retweet etc. Don't underestimate the  power of social media. All of us moaning on ***** is like shouting in a prison cell where Samsung is the prison officer. They need to be further corporately embarrassed outside this forum 

crashcris
Voyager
Options

I did as I suggested, I wrote to BBC programme "watchdog" and contacted the press (technology depts as well as editorial depts) most were on holiday, so I'll be resending my emails on Jan 2. Tweeting is prob best but I don't tweet as the letter count is too small to get my message across.