Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 28-12-2017 11:56 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

Can you share the template, I will also contact Curry's, had enough of Samsung, 3 repairs in 5 months

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!
Paul
Not very good for a TV I bought less than a year ago, 65KS9500, not a cheap one but top of the range, and not supporting it unlike Panasonic and LG!!!!
Samsung

We have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for Broadcast Services as promised (Ensure latest Firmware is installed). It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG Content delivered via the BBC i-Player Application as this is not a Broadcast Service.
Seen by Samsung at Saturday 15:42
Paul
So who else is broadcasting HLG? What is so odd is it was the BBC with another who were part of the development of HLG, and the first real test and Samsung fail for their 2016 customers. Their is no reason why our TV's can not be updated just like Panasonic and LG have done!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paul
It looks like Samsung will not pay the royalty fee's for the 2016 sets. It was trusted reviews and what hi fi who said that Samsung were fully supporting HLG in their 2016 sets. There was no mention of not supporting Iplayer, who at the time were the only one's talking about testing HLG broadcasts!! It seems like the VP9 (you tube) is supported but not the HEVC which looks like the standard for all broadcasting the future, which means that our TV's are out of date.
Paul
Even this Dec What hi fi has an article about Iplayer blue planet 2 HLG and in that article they say that Samsung as informed them that Samsung are supporting HLG in their 2016 models. If what you are saying is the case why were these publications informed of that? I think is your customers had know you were not fully supporting HLG then they may have bought else where Panasonic as I certainly would have!

SAT 18:26

Paul
This is the full piece from What Hi Fi

"

HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) is potentially the most important HDR format of all. Why? Because it's going to be used with TV broadcasts.

It's the result of a joint research project between the BBC in the UK and NHK in Japan, and is designed to deliver a more convenient HDR solution for the broadcast world than HDR10.

It takes standard dynamic range and high dynamic range images and combines them into one feed, with HLG-compatible 4K TVs able to decode and show HDR images in all their glory.

Most big-name manufacturers have confirmed their 2017 sets are HLG-ready, with Samsung, Sony and LG also confirming their 2016 HDR TVs are receiving HLG support via firmware update. Panasonic is also offering the same for select top-tier 2016 models, too. With the framework in place, we just had to wait for the content to come...

And it came in the form of Blue Planet II - released in full 4K and HLG on BBC iPlayer for just 30 days in late 2017 (it expires mid-January 2018). While BBC had previously shown a snippet of Planet Earth II in 4K HLG, the full series release of seven-episode Blue Planet II showed that HLG not only worked, but it looks spectacular.

MORE: Hybrid Log Gamma explained: the new HDR TV broadcast format

Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#HKmkBd0MMSTZvqxK.99

"

You can see that it basically says that Samsung will support the BBC Iplayer!

HDR TV: What is it? How can you get it?
High Dynamic Range (HDR) is a strong buzz-phrase in the TV world, with manufacturers and content creators alike adamant it offers noticeable leaps in picture performance.
whathifi.com

SUN 11:06

Paul
All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.
Paul
All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. *** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

This looks like a pretty good case for miss selling, and under the regs you have up to 6 years to make a claim.

October 2015 European Consumer Regulations. Look them up on Google, and then get the templet letters online.

Hope it helps.
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed. 

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice  03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer. 

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

Paul

cyenz
Explorer
Options

I will not ask for refund, however i will upgrade my TV after CES and i will only consider a Samsung TV if they:

Allow for HDR10+ as promised yearly in the year.

Allow for HLG fully as promised.

If between April\May\June my KS8000 does not have this capabilities my next set will probably be an LG or Panasonic.

ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

I genuinely like my KS7000. I bought it after weeks of reading all the reviews, reading over 100 pages on AVForums, two visits to Curry’s to see my ‘narrowed down by research’ choices, and finally settled on the Samsung over a Panny. It was exhausting work, but I was delighted by the result.

So delighted that I also bought the BD8500, soundbar and wireless rear speakers. Not from Curry’s obviously, but a price match at John Lewis. Even when after a couple of weeks I noticed the back panel peeling off, had an engineer visit where he removed and re-stuck it, and which lasted less than an hour, and JL offered me a full refund. I still stuck (pun intended) with it!

Because I genuinely believed I had bought the best I could afford, and I knew Samsung were going to update it for HLG. 

Except they now say they aren’t. Which disappoints me greatly. We have great consumer laws in this country, and I’m certain they will be useful if required. Personally I’m not certain that this story is over yet, not least because of this thread on Samsung’s own forum. 

So it is that I serve notice h e r e (on their own official forum) to Samsung that, they have until the end of February 2018 to update my television to receive the HLG HDR capabilities promised, and which will work successfully with the BBC’s iplayer service. This is likely to be the way that U.K. viewers will receive UHD content, and not via terrestrial broadcast over the air. 

I believe this to be fair and reasonable, both in terms of Samsungs engineering capabilities, and within the timescale allotted. Should my television not be equipped with capabilities to receive such content by the date quoted, I shall at that point commence discussions with John Lewis around returning it for a full refund, and notify trading standards via citizens advice. I shall take whatever steps are required to secure a full refund, including the small claims court.

Whilst I am less concerned about the advertised yet still not delivered Smart Things hub, which has failed to materialize, this will form part of my discussions with John Lewis, Samsung and others as necessary. 

Peter Benson 27th December 2017

disrember
Explorer
Options

Notice here that both my TV and bluray player , running the same iplayer software, what version is the 2016's using?20171228_095944.jpg20171228_095803.jpg

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@disrember wrote:

Notice 'ere that both my TV and bluray player , running the same iplayer software, what version is the 2016's using?

Exactly the same, except these three lines (for clarity).

Device: Samsung TV 2016 JAZZM TIZEN

Colour Depth: 24 bits-per-pixel

Screen & Layout Resolutions: 1920x1080 & 1920x1080 pixels.

We don't expect the versions to be different because "send <model X> HLG 4K" is a setting the BBC just need to flick on at their end. But the 2017 models got a later patched version of the outer app itself (see earlier messages for the posts containing the Samsung AppShop's version numbers of each).

0 Likes
Amazed
Explorer
Options

@ukpetey, do you have any problem if I use your post as a template to serve notice to Samsung at this location?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmi wrote:

Can you share the template, I will also contact Curry's, had enough of Samsung, 3 repairs in 5 months

No probs

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Amazed wrote:

@ukpetey, do you have any problem if I use your post as a template to serve notice to Samsung at this location?

No probs

0 Likes