Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-12-2017 05:33 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TheChosenOne
Explorer
Options

This sort of practice may be common in other devices too which I believe the government should intervene. Introduce a new law that would obligate manufacturers to support their devices for a minimum of 3 years unless there is a hardware limitation which they may be exempt from. It will surely be one of the best laws for the digital age and definitely eliminate this discussion of Samsung not updating their 2016, 2015 and 2014 TV lineup. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

They get worse and worse, this is a reply from Face book messenger

We have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for Broadcast Services as promised (Ensure latest Firmware is installed). It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG Content delivered via the BBC i-Player Application as this is not a Broadcast Service.

This was my reply

So what is a broadcast service? Why enabled for VP9 but not HEVC(which is what every other broadcaster I think uses)?

So who else is broadcasting HLG? What is so odd is it was the BBC with another who were part of the development of HLG, and the first real test and Samsung fail for their 2016 customers. Their is no reason why our TV's can not be updated just like Panasonic and LG have done!!!!!!!!!!!! 

It just look's like Samsung will not pay the royalty fees for their older models (can you call 2016 being an old model).

They told Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and proberly more last year they were fully supporting HLG in their 2016 sets, no mention of there were different types of HLG that would not be supporting! Even in What Hi FI this December they were saying that Samsung would be supporting HLG, in their article about Iplayer Blue planet 2!!!!!!!!!!!

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I also said this to them,

Even this Dec What hi fi has an article about Iplayer blue planet 2 HLG and in that article they say that Samsung has informed them that they are supporting HLG in their 2016 models. If what you are saying is the case Iplayer not supported, why were these publications informed of information? I think if your customers had know you were not fully supporting HLG then they may have bought else where, Panasonic, or LG, as I certainly would have!

crashcris
Voyager
Options

Presently I am composing a letter to the "Have you a story?" section of the main newspapers in UK.  I think it's only right that consumers are made aware of SAMSUNG'S (lack of) commitment to update their potential "New Year Sales" purchases beyond the one year mark. I know I woudn't have bought my js8000 if I knew what I know now.

richardg
Explorer
Options

Re the statement you quote, "We have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for Broadcast Services as promised (Ensure latest Firmware is installed). It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG Content delivered via the BBC i-Player Application as this is not a Broadcast Service."

If this was the case, how is it that my 2017 model is now working with iPlayer UHD? The question is why the fix that was applied to 2017 TVs this week cannot be applied to earlier models. Is it a technical limitation or a commercial decision?

crashcris
Voyager
Options

Paul1111... They might as well tell you they've enabled our TVs to play Holovision broadcasts directly into our heads. The fact the no broadcaster is broadcasting Holovision (and has NO PLANS AT PRESENT FOR FUTURE OTA BROADCAST of Holovision into our heads, makes their actual claims rather redundant. 

Please note... "Holovision into your head" is not a thing yet, but if it were, I'd buy it from Panasonic or Sony.

Amazed
Explorer
Options

If Samsung continually ignore this forum and their customers then I'm thinking that the approach to papers and media is going to be a way forward.

Only problem is, they will hide behind their petty excuses until they get hit by the sales backlash (which may take too long to help current consumers.

I'm disappointed that a company can be so blind and ignorant of its customer base.

Amazed
Explorer
Options

@richardg wrote:

Re the statement you quote, "We have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for Broadcast Services as promised (Ensure latest Firmware is installed). It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG Content delivered via the BBC i-Player Application as this is not a Broadcast Service."

If this was the case, how is it that my 2017 model is now working with iPlayer UHD? The question is why the fix that was applied to 2017 TVs this week cannot be applied to earlier models. Is it a technical limitation or a commercial decision?

Obviously a commercial one, from which the potential backlash will take too long to affect the company.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

richardg... In the absence of any confirmation from Samsung, it is generally being considered that it is a lack of willingness on the part of Samsung to pay the licensing fee to enable the service on older TVs than 2017 models, not a technical issue at all. If we're wrong then perhaps Samsung would like to put us straight.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

Even this Dec What hi fi has an article about Iplayer blue planet 2 HLG and in that article they say that Samsung has informed them that they are supporting HLG in their 2016 models. If what you are saying is the case Iplayer not supported, why were these publications informed of information? I think if your customers had know you were not fully supporting HLG then they may have bought else where, Panasonic, or LG, as I certainly would have!

Any chance someone could scan in the relevant section and post it 'ere? Just an excerpt for "fair use".

LG is looking a more and more attractive company to do business with.