Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 22-12-2017 10:50 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Please don't forget us more unfortunate souls with our ancient 2014 and 2015 sets.

As was said in an earlier post Samsung, you should be duty bound to support any TV that physically has the ability to install the UHD iplayer and make the firmware available for HLG.

Whenever we bought our SMART TV sets, it was with the implication that whatever apps were initially supplied that they would be updated and new services added. BBC iplayer is the most used app on all SMART TVs.  We know our sets play UHD so please stop messing us about and turning us against your company.

disrember
Explorer
Options

My 2015 tv (UE55JS8000T)  mysteriously had an update released on the 1st dec.  I contact support and asked if we would get the HLG bbc iplayer and they just asked me to confirm if my tv was upto date and then said

"Your TV is currently up to date. We have no information on further updates but we'd recommend checking for them regularly. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. "

Not a no then...

Wish samsung would detail changes in firmware updates

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@disrember wrote:

Wish samsung would detail changes in firmware updates

^^^ This. Their current boilerplate, used on EVERY SINGLE release, is vague and useless:

* Improved usability
Improved browser performance
Improved app performance
Improved stability
Improved usability of input devices

:smileyfrustrated:

The biggest crime is that sometimes Samsung support staff give you that list after a long argument to make you go away, as if that is the actual changelog for the particular firmware you wanted to know about! :smileysad:

crashcris
Voyager
Options

I have exactly the same TV. It's on 1510 now, however there's an update listed on the Samsung website for our sets as 1520.2 released 1st Dec for downloading on to a USB. Mine hasn't been auto updated yet.

As for "Not a no then..." Unfortunately, it certainly isn't a YES.

If you haven't read through all the previous comments on this forum you'll have missed the only statement Samsung has issued, which is:- "We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players.”  Which poses more questions that the moderator informs us he has no authority to answer and Samsung at this date will NOT answer.

Pressure needs to be put on Samsung to provide this service to every TV that is physically capable of receiving it, just to say they're not planning to provide it for us is simply no good.

disrember
Explorer
Options

and its gets odd.

I checked samsungs UBD-K8500 bluray player to see if there is an update and...  nope (1012.1).  I have just watched a film and the player at the end as I took the disc out it announces there is an update and its now 1013.2

again would be good to know what the update does

checked iplayer and no...

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@disrember wrote:

I checked samsungs UBD-K8500 bluray player to see if there is an update and...  nope (1012.1).  I have just watched a film and the player at the end as I took the disc out it announces there is an update and its now 1013.2

again would be good to know what the update does

I too have been offered and got 1013.2, it was very quick to install. Always hard to tell what's changed. Sometimes it's a typo on one of the screens, etc.

EDIT: Speculation on another forum that it was a Copy Protection update. Someone had a disc which wouldn't play before the update, but did play afterwards.

LondonTown
First Poster
Options

Well, I grabbed the Roku Streaming Stick yesterday, it's main use is for the bedroom, but I did plug it in on my KS7000 and sat and watched the 4K Blue Planet on the iPlayer. 

What confuses me is that Samsung don't seem to be bothered at getting this glorius advertisment for 4K on their sets?!? It is truly stunning, and really does show the screen off very well.

I also noticed that all other apps, Netflix, Amazon, Google etc run much better on the Roku, I am a bit dissapointed that the Roku Amazon app does not yet have HDR, but I believe this is coming soon, but other than that all apps run better than the built in Samsung ones so I may just keep the Roku on the set downstairs as we all know Roku support their products, unlike the quite frankly useless Samsung!!

Jones1
Apprentice
Options

2016 Samsung ks9000! Samsung what a joke! I always buy samsung. I'm on my second screen replacement for this tv it has been nothi g but jassle and now your effectively making it obsolete she  I spent around £1500 12 months ago, you really need to sort this out, I've read a lot about fees if this really is the reason then you need to think about your customers, you may find I  the long run you loose a lot more im sales the  this will cost I for one will buy no more samsung products and make sure I tell everyone the same .. it's gonna take a lot to pull this back samsung at least start buy looking after your customers who are just slightly older than the others

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Still no response to my request asking why the 2016 sets are not being supported! 

It's laughable the way Samsung keep on about their superb support!

Amazed
Explorer
Options
This whole issue is laughable. Declaring a TV from 2016 obsolete is bizarre. Their attitude towards customers is so arrogant. We are given empty promises and kept in the dark about what updates actually do to our product. Really, Samsung, it's time to wake up to to responsibilities to your consumers before they all jump ship.