Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 21-12-2017 06:17 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

For everyone that bought a 2016 set after Samsung stated it would provide HLG support I would really appreciate recommend you contact Citizens Advice. They will probably respond stating you should write a recorded delivery letter to Samung citing "Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 – misleading information". Citizens advice will also notify trading standards on your behalf. Legally its probably a fine line but if enough people push on this its corporate embarrassment  rather than the law that will probably change things. Also if anyone does tweet BBC watchdog then please copy the hashtag here. If every one likes /retweets it may help 

Jep_uk
Pioneer
Options
KS7000 owner h.ere. really liked the set and have had it since the end of 2016, but this move by samsung has soured the set, as would love to see blue planet in 4k hlg, hell I'd even take just 4k on iplayer. Another annoyance is the lack of game mode hdr settings, but thats another issue. If this is how samsung are going to behave going forward then it'll be the last time I buy or even recommend a samsung product, and this after my last 2 tvs, last few phones (and the wifes) and laptop all being samsungs.

I really hope some tech news outlets (and BBC watchdog) pick this story up, and put pressure on you to do the right thing. I think I'll post over in AVForum to get other ks owners to post ***** and add their voices.
Pete1234
Explorer
Options

LIkewise, JU7000 owner.  Seeing as iPlayer and the like is going to be increasingly the way we all view TV it's understatement to say i am disappointed Samsung won't support a product which is 20 months old.

I've posted this forum in the JU7000 thread over on avforums already.  I see there was a post on avforums already regarding the Blue Planet 2 or lack of on Samsung.

Definitely won't be touching nor recommending Samsung again if this is their support lifecycle.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

It's been busy ***** (opp's that will get censored). I have posted a few times and am pleased to see some like minded people, especially over consumer protection are also posting. It is quite clear under the OCT 2015 European Consumer Regs, that if specific claims are made about a product and that is not honoured or is incorrect, it is classed as miss selling, and you are entitled to a full refund from the retailer. It also says you are covered for 6 years under these regs. Now Samsung replied to my email saying they never issued any press release about HLG support. I some how don't think Trusted Reviews (last December), and What HI FI made it up! Trusted Reveiws said it was only Samsung who confirmed support for their 2016 models out of all the manufacturous, and now its the oppisite way round, shame on you Samsung!

So I think that every one who saw that review a year ago (which I think is most) and it influenced your decision, you are entitled to a refund under the regs full stop!

What makes this so bad we have asked h e r e why they are not supporting 2016 and 15 sets and no answer. Do the decision makers at Samsung see these posts? It seems to be not a tech issue but just down to money, and how expensive, 5 cents per unit after the first 100,00, that is it pure and simple. So I agree contact Trading Standards, Citizens Advice, BBC, What Hi FI and Trusted Reviews ( you could argue that their review influenced your decision) ants I know you can only tell us what you are told but can you let those that need to know, how this forum is growing and not dieing away as I think Samsung want!

I bought mat TV last January and it is not a year old yet, and it was bought in 2017 so support it fully as all the other major manufacturers are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Just a quick one I also think I am being censored ***** and also my email seems to get flooded with forums I am not in, but hey ho.

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

It's been busy ***** (opp's that will get censored). I have posted a few times and am pleased to see some like minded people, especially over consumer protection are also posting. It is quite clear under the OCT 2015 European Consumer Regs, that if specific claims are made about a product and that is not honoured or is incorrect, it is classed as miss selling, and you are entitled to a full refund from the retailer. It also says you are covered for 6 years under these regs. Now Samsung replied to my email saying they never issued any press release about HLG support. I some how don't think Trusted Reviews (last December), and What HI FI made it up! Trusted Reveiws said it was only Samsung who confirmed support for their 2016 models out of all the manufacturous, and now its the oppisite way round, shame on you Samsung!

So I think that every one who saw that review a year ago (which I think is most) and it influenced your decision, you are entitled to a refund under the regs full stop!

What makes this so bad we have asked h e r e why they are not supporting 2016 and 15 sets and no answer. Do the decision makers at Samsung see these posts? It seems to be not a tech issue but just down to money, and how expensive, 5 cents per unit after the first 100,00, that is it pure and simple. So I agree contact Trading Standards, Citizens Advice, BBC, What Hi FI and Trusted Reviews ( you could argue that their review influenced your decision) ants I know you can only tell us what you are told but can you let those that need to know, how this forum is growing and not dieing away as I think Samsung want!

I bought mat TV last January and it is not a year old yet, and it was bought in 2017 so support it fully as all the other major manufacturers are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

I think email also qualifies as recorded delivery, just email samsung mentioning misselling and ask for refund, they usualy generate auto response to acknowledge the email

I will also be doing same, never going to buy a Samsung product ever again!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

My h e r e was censorded again mad mad. Shows Samsung for what they are!

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

My h e r e was censorded again mad mad. Shows Samsung for what they are!

Yes you can't say 'ere with the h . It's a "bug" on the forum but don't worry, it's top priority above all other trivial issues like supporting DVB-DASH on 2016 and 2015 model TVs and paying the BBC to have 4K HLG support on Samsung's so-called "Smart TV" platform :smiling-face:

crashcris
Voyager
Options

Just found this very interesting article. It seems Samsung have a history of breaking promises and stopping updates being implemented on their products. (Google -  Customer gets full refund for TV after Samsung broke Evolution Kit promise )

I wish I had known how they treat their customers before I bought my set.

Phil12
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@Kallb123 wrote:

What's this about HDR10+? Last I read the 2016 models should be receiving a firmware update for it. Has that changed?

Just to be clear, hear is (typo to get past censorship of that word) the exact wording, copied verbatim from the press release (the April announcement). “All of Samsung’s 2017 UHD TVs, including its premium QLED TV lineup, support HDR10+. In the second half of this year, Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs WILL gain HDR10+ support through a firmware update.”

That's "WILL". No Ifs, buts, or maybes. A Press Release, cleared through the legal deparment. That is a copper-bottom promise.

The problems are several:

1. Amazon has launched HDR10Plus, but only in America's Amazon Prime and not the UK's.
  2. Amazon refuses to change their rubbish Interface so show which content is HDR10Plus and which is HDR10, so there's no way to be sure what format is being streamed.
  3. We've been waiting all year since the announcement, and not one single HDR10Plus downloadable demo exists in the entire world. So we can't test it and be sure.
  4. Samsung's Info banner display doesn't work inside Apps, so we are entirely at the mercy of app developers to tell us what video format we are getting (see point 2).
  5. The December press release from Samsung - Samsung and Amazon Prime Video First to Launch HDR10+ Content - conspicuously omits mention of 2016 models....

Hi

I'm in the UK and was watching HDR10+ content from Amazon Prime on the launch day.  I can see the TV enter HDR mode (we can see from the increased brightness setting in the Picture menu that HDR mode is engaged), and it certainly looked like HDR content in 4K.  This is on a 2017 Q7F model.    All of Amazons HDR content is shown under the same category so easy to find.  I can't vouch for support on 2016 models though.

Regards

Phil