Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 20-12-2017 05:37 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Pete1234
Explorer
Options

I remember when I bought my JU7000 about 20 months ago.  It was either this or a Panasonic. I see that Panasonic 2015 TVs are supporting this format.  Did I make the wrong decision?

Pretty shameful if the only reason 2015/16 TVs are omitted is because Samsung don't want to pay a license fee.

Of course this may not be the reason but  we are all just speculating without any actual facts forthcoming from Samsung or their representatives on this forum.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

This part of the What Hi Fi article saying that Samsung had confirmed support for HLG in 2016 models, and no mention about no support for BBC Iplayer

Most big-name manufacturers have confirmed their 2017 sets are HLG-ready, with Samsung, Sony and LG also confirming their 2016 HDR TVs are receiving HLG support via firmware update. Panasonic is also offering the same for select top-tier 2016 models, too. With the framework in place, we just had to wait for the content to come...

And it came in the form of Blue Planet II - released in full 4K and HLG on BBC iPlayer for just 30 days in late 2017 (it expires mid-January 2018). While BBC had previously shown a snippet of Planet Earth II in 4K HLG, the full series release of seven-episode Blue Planet II showed that HLG not only worked, but it looks spectacular.

Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

So come on Samsung please

PikeUK
Apprentice
Options

For what it's worth, the iPlayer app on my MU6400 is version 1.1.3, last updated 20/12/2017 (information from Details screen in Samsung Apps). So at least for me there was an app update today. The TV firmware is 1151 which I believe is the version I installed via USB a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: The in-app version information (from iPlayer help screen) is:

BigScreen Version: 4.6.45.1

Build Identifier: Thu Dec 14 2017 13:03:59

Framework Version: 8.0.1, Config Version: 8.1.0

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@PikeUK wrote:

For what it's worth, the iPlayer app on my MU6400 is version 1.1.3, last updated 20/12/2017. So at least for me there was an app update today. The TV firmware is 1151 which I believe is the version I installed via USB a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks very much for this information. :smiling-face:

For comparison, on my KS7000: iPlayer app (visible from outside the app) say it's v1.1.2 updated 16th Feb 2017.

Inside the app, in Settings /Help / Help / System information (how many levels?!?!)

BigScreen version: 4.6.45.1

Build: Thu Dec 14 2017

Framework 8.0.1, Config 8.1.0

PikeUK
Apprentice
Options

For comparison, on my KS7000: iPlayer app (visible from outside the app) say it's v1.1.2 updated 16th Feb 2017.

Inside the app, in Settings /Help / Help / System information (how many levels?!?!)

I've updated my previous post with the version information from inside the iPlayer app, it seems the same as yours.

Baulds
Explorer
Options

I don't think I want to watch it now, it's been hyped up too much 😂🤣🤣😅

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

My TV js8000 2015.

From the smart hub menu/ my apps/ bbc iplayer/ details.

Updated: 18/09/2017

Latest Version: Ver. 3.09010

From inside the app, in Settings /Settings & Help / Help / System information

Device: SAMSUNG TV 2015 HAWKMFHD

So we all have the same Iplayer build, and SAMSUNG are choosing NOT to support earlier sets.

ronson
Apprentice
Options

ive just signed up to complain after hearing the ks7000 isnt being updated to view these streams.

if you think this wont affect future purchases then be aware, it does.

the fact my TV is capable of being updated, but isnt for some reason will not be forfotten. I simply cant pay out this much on a TV and risk games like this being played when other manufactureres are supporting older sets.

bizarre, these purchases are not cheap and i would be far more understanding if there was a technical reason, but there isnt.

pretty bad reflection to be honest and i hope its corrected quickly.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@PikeUK wrote:

For what it's worth, the iPlayer app on my MU6400 is version 1.1.3, last updated 20/12/2017 (information from Details screen in Samsung Apps). So at least for me there was an app update today. The TV firmware is 1151 which I believe is the version I installed via USB a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: The in-app version information (from iPlayer help screen) is:

BigScreen Version: 4.6.45.1

Build Identifier: Thu Dec 14 2017 13:03:59

Framework Version: 8.0.1, Config Version: 8.1.0

Didn't check there previously, indeed have same version 1.1.3 showing installed today. I had also updated to 1151 via USB around same time, hadn't come up via Auto Update.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Ajy1
Apprentice
Options

Version 1.1.3 is a patch update on 1.1.2.

Version 1.2 is considered a minor release while v2.0 is a major release. Clearly, Samsung has chosen not release the patch update to the KS series. It is highly unlikely the patch is related to hardware differences. If it is, it would have been a major release. I reckon if version 1.1.3 was released to the KS model, BBC iPlayer UHD HLG would work on the hardware. 

The silver lining is that since the 2017 and 2016 models share the same code base, i.e. major and minor release version, it is very likely that Samsung could release the patch to the 2016 models in the future. If not they would need to branch the code to make a new major release for the 2017 models.

Samsung, should do the right thing by releasing the patch to the 2016 models asap. This is my first Samsung TV (I‘ve always been a Sony fan), don’t make it my last.