Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-12-2017 05:25 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@amokuk wrote:

@Peter1234

im happy to conceed the point but the decoding of the signal is handled by the TV not the application as far as i am aware. For instance the plex app offloads 4k decoding to the onboard TV hardware, its why it performs better than my core i5 cpu, it does not decrypt the signal itself. If the app has nothing to hand off to then that would explain why the stream cant be decoded. BBC are not going to write routines for every TV under the sun, they rely on the underlying hardware and api access.

This brings us to the point. It is not up to BBC to write for each model, but the BBC would inform the manufactures of the requirements. So Samsung knew of the requirements a couple of years ago, before the KS series. They said they would be supporting HLG and knew the standards and knew the only broadcaster was Iplayer, so either they made a c*** up, or told a pack of lies.

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

I'm glad I found this thread as I hardly come to the official Samsung Forums and was starting to think I was the only one really angry and dissapointed with Samsung and their HLG stance (among other issues - flickering, Game mode HDR etc).

In fact, I have just emailed PC World expressing my dissapointment with this TV only a little over 12 months of purchasing because the support from Samsung is non-existant and the issues are still outstanding 12 months later - with this just adding salt to the wound.

I know I won't get anywhere with PC World but I just had to vent my frustration somewhere, however in an ideal world they would offer me a replacement TV - and it would NOT be a Samsung. This is my first Samsung product, and will definitely be the last!

Where could we potentially go with this seeing as Samsung have gone quiet (yet again!)? Would we have a leg to stand on with Trading Standards? Watchdog perhaps? I can't just sit and accept I've been missold a £1300 TV which I need to last me another 5 years because I cannot afford to just pop out and buy another £1000 TV. 

I've already emailed the heads of US and SK Samsung as the details were provided on AVSForum but I don't expect to receive a reply. I'm more than happy to take part in further action.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I had a JS8000 that was told fully HDR and then would not work with Netflix HDR, and after a bit of a battle with PC World and issuing an intention to take legal action got a full refund. Got the template letters from citizens advice web page. So don't take no for an answer, and they hate it when you quote the Oct 2015 European Consumer regs, which give you protection from faults and miss selling for up to 6 years.  Look up the regs on google, quite interesting.

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

I had a JS8000 that was told fully HDR and then would not work with Netflix HDR, and after a bit of a battle with PC World and issuing an intention to take legal action got a full refund. Got the template letters from citizens advice web page. So don't take no for an answer, and they hate it when you quote the Oct 2015 European Consumer regs, which give you protection from faults and miss selling for up to 6 years.  Look up the regs on google, quite interesting.

Good shout Paul. I was just looking at those today. I wonder though  if only likely to be of value to those who purchased AFTER Samsung came out last year and said their 2016 sets would support HLG ie better case for misselling. I bought my then £1400 set in August 2016 when I don't believe Samsung had stated their position on HLG.   I am aggrieved on the   basis that a set little more than 1 year old is not fully supporting technologies that it should given its software related (one assumes). This is going to haunt them as publicity increases.  Please  all keep up the posts and tweeting 

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

Oh that sounds promising,  but not sure where I stand now that it’s been over 12 months however. 

Perhaps they wouldnt budge on the HLG stance, but I was drumming into them more about the ‘flickering’ issue with the PS4 Pro and Sky Q which has always been there and reported worldwide, yet Samsung aren’t doing anything about it. 

Had a right guts full of Samsung to be honest - they’ve remoted into my TV three times and made no difference whatsoever. 

Sony or LG for me next time!

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I just can get over them saying they would support all 2016 TV's and now only 2017 TV's. So all you buying this years TV, you might finf it's out of date and not supported next year.  

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

One thing I know is off topic but does anyone know why the ITV hub is not even HD?

0 Likes
ukpetey
Pioneer
Options

After years of Panasonic Plasma ownership, almost a year ago I jumped ship to my first ‘big boys’ Samsung - 55KS7000 - I adore the telly, but am very disappointed with Samsung’s attitude to their customers and supporting their kit for a reasonable time.

All of which is likely to mean that this is also my last ‘big boys’ Samsung. I’m monitoring the developing situation and will take any opportunity to return it to JL - my money is hard earned and it has to be spent wisely. I won’t be taken the p*** out of. Thanks to all for continuing to push this issue.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@AntS wrote:

As regards 2016 UHD TV:

“We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players.”

Well, just go back and please tell them to MAKE plans, then. That is the message loud and clear. It's obviously not a technical issue, we now have an admission it's entirely political.

AntS wrote: 

And:

“We have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for Broadcast Services as promised (Ensure latest Firmware is installed).  It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG Content delivered via the BBC iPlayer Application as this is not a Broadcast Service.”

Sorry, but again - tell them that all we know that's just rubbish. Weaseling out of a promise to customer, on a technicality, it pathetic.

You support HLG via YouTube, and that's an app and that's not broadcast. Are you now going to REMOVE support for HLG from Youtube?

It uses HTTP-DASH rather than DVB-DASH. Neither are broadcasting.

Guess what, millions of people use YouTube. Broadcasters are struggling, and streaming services are on the rise, hence your "Smart TV" ideas - who knows in 10 year's time there may be no broadcasters left.

In an age where the lines between broacasting and delivery other other means are more and more blurred, to try to draw such a distinction is nothing short of ludicrous and would be laughed out of court.

Samsung have let me down twice in one week, two fiascos - firstly the lack of HDR10Plus on Amazon Prime, which is disgraceful as HDR10Plus is a Samsung invention, and secondly this seemly clever "we've kept our promise, ner ner ner ner ner !" response.

Not delivering both HDR10Plus and HLG via iPlayer, would be totally unacceptable. Users should not have to take manufacturers to court for manufacturers to do the right thing.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

OK, I think I've worked out the answer to my question. I don't think it's a case of 2016 and older TVs not being able to receive the 4k iplayer HLG, I think it's a case of Samsung NOT BEING WILLING TO PAY THE LICENSING FEE to the BBC to allow individual models to carry the new service.

I come to this conclusion from an article I found in the Guardian concerning last year's sets. Do a Google search for

"Missing iPlayer means your Samsung TV isn’t so smart".

there's the line "It did admit it had a licensing issue with the BBC for this range of TVs, which it is addressing, starting with the bigger models". Considering this article from last year is concerning the bog standard iplayer not having the app because of a licensing issue, I think it's highly likely that something like this is what's holding our sets from being able to receive the new 4k iplayer.

I may be wrong but I get the feeling that Samsung are hoping to not have to fork out for the correct licensing fee for 2014/15/16 sets. I don't know all the different codings for all the sets they've produced over these years but I get the impression Samsung would have to purchase the licensing for each model and would rather leave us early adopters high and dry to save some money. Never buying Samsung again if this turns out to be correct.