Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-12-2017 01:45 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Top=Roku. Bottom=OTA 1080pTop=Roku. Bottom=OTA 1080p

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options
Above are two identical scenes I photographed from the screen at very close range with my iphone and enlarged. Ignore the different colours and exposure as the camera in the iphone constantly alters these settings. The point of this photo is to show that as far as I could see, the supposed 4k image looked no crisper than the 1080p OTA broadcast that I'd recorded on my Humax PVR, In fact, now I've blown the image up even larger, I think the OTA 1080p image looks better.
0 Likes
loftygit
Pioneer
Options

Hi everyone,

It must be very annoying that there is going to be one tv programme on the BBC iPlayer for a month that you can't watch in a particular format.

I haven't been able to watch anything on iPlayer on my 2017 MU6500 since I bought it (except via a Firestick), all I get when I select a program is a message "02001 Something went wrong when loading this programme"

(Yes, its latest the firmware, has been reset, has been turned off, have tried different wifi ....)

0 Likes
richardg
Explorer
Options

I have suggested to Samsung that, as we will miss the only chance to see the best TV programme of the year in full 4K  for free, that they send their loyal customers a free copy of the UHD BluRay when it comes out 😉

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@richardg wrote:

I have suggested to Samsung that, as we will miss the only chance to see the best TV programme of the year in full 4K  for free, that they send their loyal customers a free copy of the UHD BluRay when it comes out 😉

Like to see that!!!!!

Baulds
Explorer
Options
Or maybe a compatable lg or Sony TV.
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

What Hi Fi did an article on the Blue Planet HLG using the new Philips OLED set, and were impressed, and no I do not work for Philips.

@Baulds wrote:
Or maybe a compatable lg or Sony TV.

AntS
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi Ant

Could you please update us on this fiasco.  

Regarding the 2017 range and Blue Planet II: "We are working closely with the BBC to enable our 2017 Samsung UHD models (MU & QE) to access the service."

The statement above is now out of date as we know the BBC have removed every Samsung TV from the supported list, so what is happening exactly.

Regards

Phil

Hi @Phil12.

Us moderators asked for some clarification and confirmation on this for you guys.

As regards 2017 UHD TV, the current statement is:

“We are working with the BBC to provide access to this service and hope to have it available soon.  It is not expected to be available in time to view the current BBC UHD Content (Blue Planet II), but is expected to be in place for any future content offered by The BBC.”

That ties in with the BBC’s statement (as provided by JAMES4578): "Blue Planet II in UHD is available on BBC iPlayer on over 200 devices until 16 January 2018. If Samsung update their firmware in this timeframe, we can make the series available on these devices too."

As regards 2016 UHD TV:

“We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players.”

And:

“We have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for Broadcast Services as promised (Ensure latest Firmware is installed).  It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG Content delivered via the BBC iPlayer Application as this is not a Broadcast Service.”

That is the current situation on both 2017 and pre-2017 TVs. As much as I’d like to, I’m unable to add more for you all. However, I will let you all know if anything does change on the Samsung end on either of those.

@amokuk wrote:

Do any samsung employees or anyone connected with samsung read their own forums? 

Hi @amokuk.

We do. And other people besides me are aware of this thread. Please keep on contributing. (Preferably sensibly.)

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS wrote:

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi Ant

Could you please update us on this fiasco.  

Regarding the 2017 range and Blue Planet II: "We are working closely with the BBC to enable our 2017 Samsung UHD models (MU & QE) to access the service."

The statement above is now out of date as we know the BBC have removed every Samsung TV from the supported list, so what is happening exactly.

Regards

Phil

Hi @Phil12.

Us moderators asked for some clarification and confirmation on this for you guys.

As regards 2017 UHD TV, the current statement is:

“We are working with the BBC to provide access to this service and hope to have it available soon.  It is not expected to be available in time to view the current BBC UHD Content (Blue Planet II), but is expected to be in place for any future content offered by The BBC.”

That ties in with the BBC’s statement (as provided by JAMES4578): "Blue Planet II in UHD is available on BBC iPlayer on over 200 devices until 16 January 2018. If Samsung update their firmware in this timeframe, we can make the series available on these devices too."

As regards 2016 UHD TV:

“We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players.”

And:

“We have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for Broadcast Services as promised (Ensure latest Firmware is installed).  It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG Content delivered via the BBC iPlayer Application as this is not a Broadcast Service.”

That is the current situation on both 2017 and pre-2017 TVs. As much as I’d like to, I’m unable to add more for you all. However, I will let you all know if anything does change on the Samsung end on either of those.

@amokuk wrote:

Do any samsung employees or anyone connected with samsung read their own forums? 

Hi @amokuk.

We do. And other people besides me are aware of this thread. Please keep on contributing. (Preferably sensibly.)

Thanks for the update  AntS, though it is a bit frustrating we can't get more detail on why the update is taking a while for 2017 sets and the issues for older models.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

Ants, thank you for taking the time to assure us that people are at least aware of this thread. I believe that if you are not infact breaking EU law you are at least not adhering to its spirit in that I could quite reasonably expect you to support my equipment for longer than one year. There is no technical reason that you can not implement whatever you need to implement on the 2017 sets on the 2016 sets. The screens, as much as you might want to protest, are virtually identical. The KS range in particular is a superior screen to this years MU range. What happens in a years time when it becomes apparent that your HLG broadcast support doesnt actually work? We have no way of knowing if you have implemented it correctly.  I suspect not given that the BBC designed HLG. I would put money on their implementation of it being correct and not some random video on youtube.

0 Likes