Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 18-12-2017 02:37 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

And yes I am very *** off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put the * in for you!!!!!!!!!

Fadge
Journeyman
Options

I bought a 40" Samsung some 8 or 9 years ago and still have it. It has been moved to a bedroom now but I was so impressed with it I bought a 55in JS9000 a few years ago. I was convinced it would be up to date for years with the addition of the separate upgradable connector box. I cannot believe it won't play all forms of uhd/HDR content when it cost over £3000.

I have convinced my in laws an brother in law to purchase Samsung TV's as well as many people at work and I am looking at moving the JS9000 into the conservatory next year and getting a 65" for the living room. I had intended to get a new Samsung when they come out around March/April but now I think I will be looking at a new Panasonic. The JS9000 may be a few years old but if you pay that much for a TV you expect them to be supported for at least 4 or 5 years. 

Tezz
Voyager
Options

Love to know the reasons why  Samsung was pulled from the list?

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options
Hi

The reason they have been pulled from the list is because they've cheated to get on there in the first place it seems by saying they will have support for iPlayer HLG 4K and supplying some form of firmware for one or more models that showed it working for the BBC R&D department, then failed to deliver that to their customers or indeed be open and honest and say what was going on.

They aren't on the list as no Samsung TV supports iPlayer HLG 4K at this time.

Regards

Phil

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Some consolation for Samsung or maybe not as LG is a 100% success rate, is that in testing other TVs are having issues.  

• Sony TVs are still waiting a firmware update.
  • Hisense TV that was tested plays in 4K but not in HDR (so no HLG support)
  • Panasonic TVs could play the footage in HLG "but the picture was forced to an overly cool colour temperature and frame interpolation applied (probably Dynamic mode), which remained the same despite user menu settings adjustments."

Samsung gets a mention for no support at all currently.

Source http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/blue-planet-201712154518.htm

Regards

Phil

amokuk
Voyager
Options

Do any samsung employees or anyone connected with samsung read their own forums? Samsung do you have anything to say at all regarding this *****show? You lose me more and more everyday you don't address this in some fashion. Even saying we are sorry and this is whats going to happen would be a start. You are showing your customers utter contempt.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

But none of the others have been taken off the list. 

I have now been told by samsung to get a refung because they can not fix the recording issue. Good support!

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Did anyone see What Hi Fi's article on first view of the BBC Iplayer Planet earth 2 HLG using a Phillips TV (you don.t ***** much about them). The TV used was given a very good review, but the thing is Phillips are not one of the biggest players yet What Hi Fi, (is odd how they did not use a Samsung 2017 TV) said the Iplayer Planet Earth 2 in HLG was brilliant. Now Samsung very aggressively market themselves as market leaders, and their SUHD TV's as being the best. Since Iplayer HLG was first talked about, Samsung have said they will fully support it (they said all SUHD TV's would 2016). This whole fiasco show's Samsung for what they really are (compared to lesser companies), not only as a company with very poor support, but as a company shown to lie and say anything, and to treat the public their customers with contempt!

As an owner of a 65KS9500 yes I did pay a lot for top spec and future proof TV (that was the whole idea of the one connect, which I think now just a sale's gimmick), and I fell for all the sparkle and salesman's speak. Do I feal ripped off, yes I do. I know it is a small issue, but you think you are getting that something a little bit special, and you think you will get the support that goes with a high end product and you simply do not.

It's also odd in that I am now gettingb replies from lots of other groups but no longer from this group!

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

Paul,  with on this one but I fear we are on a losing wicket with respect to any legal rights. Morally speaking though  it is appalling really as since you suggested Samung put themselves put there as leading the way. I did a lot of research before ploughing £1200 into a top end 2016 set and assumed (now naively) that I was buying a set that would be all singing and dancing (accepting the flux in hdr standards). Best advice now is vote with your  on any future buys. Samsung may have some nice products but their customer service is rock bottom  rubbish. 

0 Likes
Baulds
Explorer
Options

A few calls to BBC watchdog program might stir the pot a bit. It is one of their programmes after all so samsung won't be able to bull***** their way out of what they said they were going to do. 

0 Likes