Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 11-12-2017 08:20 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Tezz
Voyager
Options

I would love to know what samsung is up to.they have lost 40% of their marketshare in TVs this year alone.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

What is so annoying is Samsung were bragging to the world last year that all their 2016 UHD models would get an update to enable HGL support. It is not only outrageous that they do not seem to be honouring that, but I think will constitute a breach of the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs for miss selling, and as I have mentioned before any person who bought a 2016 Samsung UHD, and knowing about this update may now feel they have been miss sold, and are entitled to a full refund from their retailer for miss selling.

northbay
Journeyman
Options

No access from my Q7F either, even though it played the previous 4-minute Planet Earth HLG trial (no longer available) perfectly. Ironic that Samsung TV's were not listed as compatible for the previous trial: now they are listed, but won't play anything!

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

The same here, I posted elsewhere about it, as there is a note on the BBC iPlayer page that states:

Please note that Samsung devices listed are awaiting an imminent firmware update to support our UHD streams and may not be updated in time for the release of Blue Planet II in UHD on Sunday 10 December.

They had better get a move on as they only have 30 days before we lose it off iPlayer.

Regards

Phil

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

What is so annoying is Samsung were bragging to the world last year that all their 2016 UHD models would get an update to enable HGL support. It is not only outrageous that they do not seem to be honouring that, but I think will constitute a breach of the Oct 2015 European Consumer Regs for miss selling, and as I have mentioned before any person who bought a 2016 Samsung UHD, and knowing about this update may now feel they have been miss sold, and are entitled to a full refund from their retailer for miss selling.

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

But they haven't said they will not get an update (at this time anyway), and even the 2017 models don't have the update yet despite being on the BBC iPlayer list, so clearly they have fixes to make.

Perhaps the update will arrive later, and Samsung have prioritised their 2017 models to get the working HLG first, and the fix will be back ported to the 2016 models afterwards.  It may mean the 2016 models miss Blue Planet in UHD, but these things happen, first world problems and all that.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

But they haven't said they will not get an update (at this time anyway), and even the 2017 models don't have the update yet despite being on the BBC iPlayer list, so clearly they have fixes to make.

Perhaps the update will arrive later, and Samsung have prioritised their 2017 models to get the working HLG first, and the fix will be back ported to the 2016 models afterwards.  It may mean the 2016 models miss Blue Planet in UHD, but these things happen, first world problems and all that.

Regards

Phil

They are saying that the 2017 models will get an update but they are also saying in that email that there no plans for the 2016 models. Why not comfirm what they promised last year about this update to the owners of 2016 models. It was promoised in an article I read in What hi fi that they were releasing an update in November just gone, which has not happened. Both Trusted reviews and What hi fi were told by Samsung that the 2016 models would be supported. So Samsung do the right thing!

AntS
Options

Hi all.

Official statement on the 2016 models:

“We are pleased to confirm all 2016 Samsung UHD TV’s have been enabled to support UHD HDR HLG content via TV broadcast as was promised (Ensure the latest software version is installed).

Please note this differs from that used by the BBC i-Player Online Streaming service and there are no plans at this time to enable it for 2016 devices.”

Regarding the 2017 range and Blue Planet II: "We are working closely with the BBC to enable our 2017 Samsung UHD models (MU & QE) to access the service."

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Not at all happy with this as its a cop out!!! What is the difference between Iplayer HGL and HGL. Does it mean that all the 2016 TV's will never be able to receive Iplayer HGL?

Why can 2017 TV's receive Iplayer HGL and not 2016 TV's?

How can I check that my 2016 KS9500 does actually do HGL without any other sources, and when HGL was first mentioned in Trusted reveiws it was stated there that only BBC Iplayer were actually going to test and use it so Samsung have known for a long time that it had to be compatible with the 2016 sets. 

Sorry Samsung this is not the confirmation as was asking for as the only player at the moment is BBC Iplayer, which uses HGL and you said last year, your 2016 TV's would be updated to HGL. There was no if and buts about what type or what broadcaster would be supported, and as only Iplayer is using it, it is not unreasonable to expect the TV to work as promised by you with HGL. 

Now be truthful, release a sample so we can test if it actually works and sort out Iplayer support!

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

At least an update but will be poorly received by many  , even 2015 Panasonic supported (admittedly wasn't keen on their pedestals lwhich didn't look great  on some of latest range).  Few HDR services at the moment and even those with 2017 sets (including myself) have a wait for the Iplayer to be upgraded when there is only a limited time to view Blue Planet II.  Take that it will be resolved shortly but hardly ideal,though wonder if BBC also partly at fault. Anyone can easily check HDR content on Youtube.  All being said I've had quite a few Samsung Tv's throughout the years and impressed with quality.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes