Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

UE50MU6120 Suggestion For External HDD To Record To

(Topic created on: 14-02-2018 06:56 PM)
steamship
Apprentice
Options

Just got the UE50MU6120 last week and still getting to know it. Decided to try recording a programme but having problems.

I went through the Connection Guide and followed the prompts to add the drive, and it eventually told me it was connected and gave me the option to browse. The HDD in question is a Seagate 1TB formatted as NTFS.

I then went into the Guide, browsed for a programme and first tried Timeshift. It gave me a message saying it couldn't do the Timeshift. I then chose another programme and set that to record. At the five minute mark it displayed the message that it would be starting. A little after the programme was set to start I got a message on the screen saying 'Record failed'.

I've been reading through the forum and found the big thread about the recording feature being a bit iffy, but at least some people are getting it to work with no problems, and others have it working for a week or two and then stops.

I had chosen the Samsung over the LG I was also looking at, but now beginning to wonder if I chose wrong, as I also came across the other thread about the 10 film promotion. Two main selling features and they either don't work or are a PITA to get working.

I don't have any other external drives and the only flash USB drives I have are 8GB, so stuck on how else to check.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@steamshipwrote:

Just got the UE50MU6120 last week and still getting to know it. Decided to try recording a programme but having problems.

I went through the Connection Guide and followed the prompts to add the drive, and it eventually told me it was connected and gave me the option to browse. The HDD in question is a Seagate 1TB formatted as NTFS.

I then went into the Guide, browsed for a programme and first tried Timeshift. It gave me a message saying it couldn't do the Timeshift. I then chose another programme and set that to record. At the five minute mark it displayed the message that it would be starting. A little after the programme was set to start I got a message on the screen saying 'Record failed'.

I've been reading through the forum and found the big thread about the recording feature being a bit iffy, but at least some people are getting it to work with no problems, and others have it working for a week or two and then stops.

I had chosen the Samsung over the LG I was also looking at, but now beginning to wonder if I chose wrong, as I also came across the other thread about the 10 film promotion. Two main selling features and they either don't work or are a PITA to get working.

I don't have any other external drives and the only flash USB drives I have are 8GB, so stuck on how else to check.

It seems to be a problem with Samsung smart TVs. If you want this function send it back and get a TV that does work as advertised.  Samsung are very poor in admitting their TVs have a problem with this recording issue. 

View solution in context

9 REPLIES 9
Solution
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@steamshipwrote:

It seems to be a problem with Samsung smart TVs. If you want this function send it back and get a TV that does work as advertised.  Samsung are very poor in admitting their TVs have a problem with this recording issue. 

steamship
Apprentice
Options
Cheers Paul. I've seen that suggestion mentioned and still on the fence about it.

It's not so much getting rid of the Samsung in favour of something else, but the amount of hassle it all creates. Sending it to the retailer will probably cost a pretty penny, and then they no doubt have to send it back to Samsung to get it checked out before accepting responsibility for it not working properly, and then the retailer has to refund me, which will probably take a fortnight, and then I can go any buy something else (which will probably be my second choice when trying to decide). So it causes a headache for everyone bar the ones it should annoy... Samsung.
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@steamshipwrote:

The newer Samsung TV's seem to have an issue with recording programs.  If you TV will not record send it back as it is an advertised feature and under consumer law must be able to do it. If you look on the forums it comes up a lot. 

0 Likes
steamship
Apprentice
Options
Yeah, I was just reading the terms for returns to the company AND I will have to pay the cost. I wonder how much that will be from Northern Ireland to West Yorkshire?

I'll call them tomorrow and get some clarification on their 'requirements' prior to returning it.

I suppose being on a Samsung forum, it would be a bit naughty to ask for recommendations as to an alternative TV. :smiling-face:
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@steamshipwrote:
Yeah, I was just reading the terms for returns to the company AND I will have to pay the cost. I wonder how much that will be from Northern Ireland to West Yorkshire?

I'll call them tomorrow and get some clarification on their 'requirements' prior to returning it.

I suppose being on a Samsung forum, it would be a bit naughty to ask for recommendations as to an alternative TV. :smiling-face:

If its a fault within the first 6 months then you do not have to pay for post. Remind them off the consumer regs 

0 Likes
steamship
Apprentice
Options
Even better news. Between switching between tabs I was wondering how the retailer will accept this since Samsung are dragging their heels admitting it. I can always point them to the thread on here about it.
0 Likes
steamship
Apprentice
Options
Paul1111, I took your advice and returned the TV. Prior to doing so, I tried a 1TB drive, a 64GB flash drive and a 3TB powered drive in both USB ports. Only the 1TB was recognised but wouldn't record a scheduled program or a timeshift one.
I won't mention who I purchased it from as they weren't at fault here, but have to say that they were very helpful and understanding about the whole thing... and I didn't have to pay to return it, as they organised collection.
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@steamshipwrote:
Paul1111, I took your advice and returned the TV. Prior to doing so, I tried a 1TB drive, a 64GB flash drive and a 3TB powered drive in both USB ports. Only the 1TB was recognised but wouldn't record a scheduled program or a timeshift one.
I won't mention who I purchased it from as they weren't at fault here, but have to say that they were very helpful and understanding about the whole thing... and I didn't have to pay to return it, as they organised collection.

Its useful to everyone to know the retailers good or bad.  Seems like yours did the right thing,  so won't hurt to give them a thumbs up here. 

0 Likes
steamship
Apprentice
Options
A point i had thought about, but didn't want someone misinterpreting it as them being one of the 'bad' retailers. I've worked in IT for over 20 years, and heavily involved in all manners of support, so I appreciate what support people have to contend with from both sides. What really got me about this company was not only the politeness and understanding of the agent, but how they have used their own data to make the customers interaction better.

When I called their number, I selected the option for returns. A few seconds later, I was greeted with my name and the fact that I wanted to return the TV. Now, just how good is that? Most times you phone these places up, and then you have to give them your name, your order number, and then tell them you want to return an item, and then they transfer you somewhere else, and you start the whole thing over again. In all my years of contacting customer support lines, this is the first time I've never dreaded it.

After sorting out the returns, I asked how the agent knew so much, and he explained it. When the call comes through, they know it's for returns based on the option I chose. It then looks up the telephone number that I'm calling from and brings up my last order for the agent. Based on that, the assumption is that I wanted to return the TV. A simple but very effective solution, and good on them for doing it.

As for the retailer in question, it was Appliances Direct. I chose them because they were offering the TV at the most competitive rate. Their customer service is second to none.
0 Likes