Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

UE49KU6400 Scheduled Recording

(Topic created on: 25-04-2017 07:21 AM)
dockofthebay
Journeyman
Options

Hello all,

First post - I am hoping someone has had a similar experience with their UE49KU6400 and can offer some advice.

I bought the TV about 1 month ago and am delighted with it. Two weeks ago, I thought I'd give the recording feature a try for the first time, so I purchased a Toshiba external hard drive.

First, I tested recording live TV as I watched it - perfect, no issues.

Next, I scheduled a recording for about 15 minutes time, then turned off the TV. The hard drive powered off, but right enough, turned back on in time to record the show while the TV was off. Perfect, no issues.

Next, I scheduled two recordings - one on the Friday evening, one on the Saturday evening. I turned the TV off on Friday lunchtime and then went to visit relatives for the weekend.

On my return, neither program had recorded. No errors or issues - just "No recordings available". The series link for the Saturday night show still sitting in Scheduled, awaiting the next episode.

It looks like that the Scheduled Recording won't work if the TV is powered off for a significant time... Is there some sort of Eco Power setting I'm missing? Surely I can't be the only one who has experienced this. Any help is seriously appreciated.

I have contacted Samsung technical support, and have a call open, but to be frank, they're wasting my time. Every time I speak to them, I get the following questions multiple times - "Is the TV powered on at the wall when you schedule a recording?".... "Do you leave the hard drive plugged in when you try to record?"

Thanks.

Go to solution
45 REPLIES 45
ooger
Journeyman
Options

Wow. Never before have I experienced such bad telephone support.

I've called Samsung twice now and each time they just ask me to attempt to record anotherprogram and call them back.

I had them do some remote support, and its been factory reset twice now and there is still no change.

I've now turned off the Standby Auto Tuning. It seems to be ON by default.

The only scheduled recording is now BBC1 (SD) at 1930 for EastEnders. Lets see what happens next.

Incidentally - I set a schedule a few days ago and when I turned to TV ON during the scheduled record, it told me that it was about to START recording (i.e the program was about 45 minutes in, and it had not started. The recording started and it finished as expected. Obviously it missed the first 45 minutes. Its to do with either something its doing whilst its off, or its not powering down properly - i.e too far.

Wonder if the Standby Auto Tuning is the problem......update later maybe.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Springhay
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same problem !!  It appears that I can only record when I am literally watching the programme itself!!  I can see all my scheduled recordings (even series icon) - but they dont record!!  The tv is always on standby (series 6) because it actually cant be switched off.  It is the most frustrating thing ever !!  My remote is also incapable of moving to +24 hours.  Not that it matters.....whatever I schedule just doent record!

dockofthebay
Journeyman
Options
I didn't want to reply too soon in case I jinxed it. It's been two weeks and all is still well. Hope everyone else is getting on OK.
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
So can you please tell me how you sorted it as I have the same problem on a KS9500. I have been on to Samsung and after trying online support gave up after waiting for over 2 hours, used email support. This resulted in them saying they would escalate to product support. That was over a month ago with no contact. Not impressed with Samsung.
Pemberton
Apprentice
Options

I have had identical problem of things not recording since day one. This is clearly a problem which nobody seems to be adddressing.  The sheer inconsistency drives me nuts!  Sometimes they all record - sometimes none - no reason given.  Was it the signal on that day?  Is it because the tv was on standby and not actually turned onto the channel.......nothing to work out why its happening .....

Nothing at all recorded this week yet three soaps, one drama and something else all scheduled???  Totally fed up and might as well just o back to my good old Humax box!!  Bought this tv so I could do everything in the same place.  Waste of time money and effort.

John27
First Poster
Options

I also have this problem, recording seem to rarely happen if the TV is in standby.  If i switch the TV after a scheduled recording was due to start, it will record from that point onwards. 

My hard drive does also come with an external mains power adapter, so I am going to try this to see if it makes any differences, as I am wondering if the hard drive also goes into standby when the TV does.

ooger
Journeyman
Options

To be clear - I found disabling Standby Auto Tuning seemed to have a better effect. Its still not perfect and it cannot be relied on, but it seems a little more predicable in terms of what should be recorded.

In summary - this TV is rubbish at recording anything. I would not recommend anyone buying it unless they had an alternative to record on - Sky/freesat recorder etc.

Typically now, I only use the HDD for pausing live TV. Everything else I deal with through another medium/device.

To recap - my USB disk drive is NOT mains powered, and it is plugged into the powered 5V USB port at the rear.

Samsung should be ashamed of the way they have left this model, and this thread in general.

MelG
Apprentice
Options

I have had the same issue for a year on my new TV and gave up!

Factory resets. Reformatting hdd. Software updates. But nothing fixed it.

Currys allowed me an exchange as they said it must be a fault.

Now have a new Samsung TV with exactly the same issue!

Samsung have done nothing. 

My old Samsung devices have no issues completing this function so it cant be a software update problem!

Pemberton
Apprentice
Options

So I have now given up entirel and as I speak, I am waiting for sky to be installed instead.....just want to record (and be able to watch anothr channel !) and to be sure that it does what it says on the box.   This set doesnt. Sorry Samsung but epic fail in this case.  

0 Likes
smk06
Student
Options

I am experiencing similar recording issues on the 40 inch MU6120 that I bought on Saturday from Currys. I have a Seagate 1TB hard disk that I am trying to record to (not externally powered). Recording works if the TV is on, but when left in standby nothing is recorded. I have tried turning off the Standby Auto-tuning function but it has made no difference. Any further advice of what I could try next?

0 Likes