Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

UE49KU6400 Scheduled Recording

(Topic created on: 25-04-2017 07:21 AM)
dockofthebay
Journeyman
Options

Hello all,

First post - I am hoping someone has had a similar experience with their UE49KU6400 and can offer some advice.

I bought the TV about 1 month ago and am delighted with it. Two weeks ago, I thought I'd give the recording feature a try for the first time, so I purchased a Toshiba external hard drive.

First, I tested recording live TV as I watched it - perfect, no issues.

Next, I scheduled a recording for about 15 minutes time, then turned off the TV. The hard drive powered off, but right enough, turned back on in time to record the show while the TV was off. Perfect, no issues.

Next, I scheduled two recordings - one on the Friday evening, one on the Saturday evening. I turned the TV off on Friday lunchtime and then went to visit relatives for the weekend.

On my return, neither program had recorded. No errors or issues - just "No recordings available". The series link for the Saturday night show still sitting in Scheduled, awaiting the next episode.

It looks like that the Scheduled Recording won't work if the TV is powered off for a significant time... Is there some sort of Eco Power setting I'm missing? Surely I can't be the only one who has experienced this. Any help is seriously appreciated.

I have contacted Samsung technical support, and have a call open, but to be frank, they're wasting my time. Every time I speak to them, I get the following questions multiple times - "Is the TV powered on at the wall when you schedule a recording?".... "Do you leave the hard drive plugged in when you try to record?"

Thanks.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
dockofthebay
Journeyman
Options

Sorry I have been quiet for a few days.

Samsung told be about the Standby Auto Tuning fix originally, but that didn't work.

Then my apps broke, and my board got replaced, as I said before.

I tried the Standby Auto Tuning fix on Saturday, and (fingers crossed) all has been fine since. So it must have been a combo of board issue plus that setting. I also turned the "Automatically Open Last App" back ON, as it appeared to be breaking my Now TV / YouTube apps.

I am going to give it until this Saturday before I declare success.

Thanks for contributing to this discussion!

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
smk06
Student
Options

Thank you for the replies. I think I have resolved the issue.

I downloaded an update (1151) for the 40MU6120 from the link below to my laptop, then extracted the file to an external HDD. It is a very recent update (14 Nov) and file size was 1.2GB. I then connected the HDD to the TV and updated the software this way. A couple of quick tests were successful in recording programmes with the TV on standby. I'll try recording programmes overnight but expect this to also be successful.

Hope this helps other users.  

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE40MU6120KXXU/

View solution in context

45 REPLIES 45
TracyR
Options

Hi @dockofthebay.

Are you still experiening this issue?

I've forwarded it over to our AV experts for some further advice.

:womanhappy:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

ooger
Journeyman
Options
Same question here. I have the same problem with a USB drive attached to a UE70K6000. Scheduled recordings are not recording. Time shift and the like works fine, but any other scheduled recording is not working.

I cannot see an eco setting that would put a "deep sleep" in place.

I have tried a factory reset, and using another (non 5v) USB connection. No difference. I have also tried reformatting the drive (the TV formats it when it is plugged in itself anyway, so I cant see this being relevant)

Is it because the hard disk is NOT mains powered? It is connected through the 5v USB socket, so I cannot see this being a problem.

dockofthebay
Journeyman
Options

Hello,

Yes this is still happening.

i contacted my retailer (John Lewis) and they arranged for a Samsung support centre to replace the full board in the TV.

Got it back yesterday and this still happens. Really frustrating. 

All help appreciated. So disappointed with my new TV, never thought i would or could be.

dockofthebay
Journeyman
Options
No it's not because the USB isn't mains powered, definitely not. I had it work sporadically for a few days but then all my apps stopped working (probably unrelated) so I had to factory reset and it stopped working again. So it's definitely achievable, I won't accept that as a reason.
dockofthebay
Journeyman
Options

Ignore, double post...

0 Likes
ooger
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your reply dockofthebay. Rubbish that you had to get your TV repaired when it was so new. Did you get any replacement? How long did it take?

Ive tried a factory reset and noticed a few things are different. I did thisbefore but must have not completed a full reset - the last time all my apps and channels were not removed. This time they were.

Notably, I can now rename and renumber and delete channels. Before I couldnt do that. Unknown if that is related to this problem

I have re-setup the tv, and have set away a few scheduled series links.

The first has said it has started recording already, but, the TV is on right now, so this is not a fair test. It worked OK when the TV was on before.

I need to wait overnight and schedule record some rubbish that is on overnight when the TV is off.

For info, my firmware version is up to date, checked this evening, and it matches the most recently published on the Samsung website.

Update tomorrow, I hope time permitting.

No changes made to USB drive today.

0 Likes
ooger
Journeyman
Options
Absolute failure.

Not only did the TV NOT record the program I scheduled to record whilst it was turned ON, it has recorded nothing else at whilst off.

So -even with the top banner saying "A recording of xxxxx is about the begin on BBC1" (or something similar) 5 minutes before - nothing happens.

Recording Does. Not. Work.

I will attempt to take this to Samsung, I have no other USB disks that are big enough to test this with, and I am not buying another just to find that is not the problem.

It was only bought 2 months ago - should I try the retailer first? (Currys/PCWorld)
cliffTV
First Poster
Options
I had a similar problem which I managed to fix by turning off Standby Auto Tuning.
For details see my post "Series 6000 TV, No Default Channel on Startup and Recording Failures" 13-03-17.
I'm not sure if the same workaround will work for you, but it might be worth a try.
0 Likes
Solution
dockofthebay
Journeyman
Options

Sorry I have been quiet for a few days.

Samsung told be about the Standby Auto Tuning fix originally, but that didn't work.

Then my apps broke, and my board got replaced, as I said before.

I tried the Standby Auto Tuning fix on Saturday, and (fingers crossed) all has been fine since. So it must have been a combo of board issue plus that setting. I also turned the "Automatically Open Last App" back ON, as it appeared to be breaking my Now TV / YouTube apps.

I am going to give it until this Saturday before I declare success.

Thanks for contributing to this discussion!

0 Likes