Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE49KS8000 scheduled recordings not working

(Topic created on: 14-05-2017 09:35 AM)
Socast
Journeyman
Options

Hi everyone,

my KS8000 is being a pain with recordings. After about 3 or 4 days it simply stops recording any of the scheduled recordings. I did a factory restore of the tv which fixed the issue for a few days but now I'm back to no recording. I didn't wipe the hard drive, however after restoring factory settings everything was working fine. Issue occurs whether the tv is on standby or actually on. External hdd is a 1tb seagate in a USB3 enclosure. I've turned off all eco settings on the tv and I'm now pretty fed up!

Anyone else having the same issue or know how to fix it ?

80 REPLIES 80
Socast
Journeyman
Options

You’re wrong about the tuners, it has three inputs. Two are for a satalite connection and the third is for a standard terrestrial signal.

Regardless of this I’ve not been able to resolve the issue, my tv was replaced for the newer Q-led type tv (completely different design of q-link box) and the issue still persists.

I’be used powered caddies and also used solid state hard drives and nothing resolves the issue.

I’m squarely stuck with this p.o.s. Tv now, but I’ll never buy any Samsung products ever again. The thing doesn’t work properly, Samsung won’t fix it as it’s not going to be cost effective and to top it all of they’re pushing adverts onto it!!

The business practices of this company are shocking to say the least.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Socast wrote:

You’re wrong about the tuners, it has three inputs. Two are for a satalite connection and the third is for a standard terrestrial signal.

Regardless of this I’ve not been able to resolve the issue, my tv was replaced for the newer Q-led type tv (completely different design of q-link box) and the issue still persists.

I’be used powered caddies and also used solid state hard drives and nothing resolves the issue.

I’m squarely stuck with this p.o.s. Tv now, but I’ll never buy any Samsung products ever again. The thing doesn’t work properly, Samsung won’t fix it as it’s not going to be cost effective and to top it all of they’re pushing adverts onto it!!

The business practices of this company are shocking to say the least.

I agree with you about Samsung, but I am not wrong, it has 2 imputs for the freesat, and I know only 1 for freeveiw but it has duel freeveiw tuners. You can only record (when it works) from either freesat or freeveiw,  not both at the same time. For the 2 tuners for freesat you must have 2 feeds to the TV from your dish. I have spent months with this issue and tried all the suggestions from Samsung 2 different USB, 1 powered USB and a stick, no difference. I know the TV can record because it did for 2 weeks when the main board was replaced and that was using a USB 1 ter Drive powered by the TV. It worked whilst on and when in standby. I suspect there is a intermittent power supply issue, and that is why I would like a new replacement, since this has been ongoing since the beginning of August and I would be interested in a Qled replacement because some must work. Can you let me have you Samsung ref number so I can quote that you have received a new TV.

Thanks

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
I think Samsung are as they have not come up with a fix yet, which is very strange!!!!!!
Socast
Journeyman
Options
I misunderstood what you meant regarding the tuners, I don’t know why you would use free view when you’ve got Freesat, they’re exactly the same but the Freesat has a better signal 🤔

I don’t think there is anything special about me having my ks8000 swapped for a Qled as the ks8000 is end of life. However I personally would stick with the ks8000, the picture quality is better and it doesn’t have the issue with the power inverter on the tv (I’ve had two Qled TVs now and they both make the noise, the first had all the circuit boards replaced and the screen, so technically I’ve had three).
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Socast wrote:
I misunderstood what you meant regarding the tuners, I don’t know why you would use free view when you’ve got Freesat, they’re exactly the same but the Freesat has a better signal 🤔

I don’t think there is anything special about me having my ks8000 swapped for a Qled as the ks8000 is end of life. However I personally would stick with the ks8000, the picture quality is better and it doesn’t have the issue with the power inverter on the tv (I’ve had two Qled TVs now and they both make the noise, the first had all the circuit boards replaced and the screen, so technically I’ve had three).

They both have perfectlyn good 1080p pictures, when broadcastso that is not a problem and not every one can supply two feeds to the freesat.  When you pay a small furtune for the best TV (65KS9500) it's not unreasonable to expect it to work as advertised. I am a retired firefighter with not a lot of money and this was a special retirement treat to myself. Instead of being something I am happy with it has become something of stress and upset, especially with the way Samsung has dealt with it, and it is not just me. Thing with freeview is when you go into planner it has a mini screen freesat does not. Strange though my Samsung freesat recorder does have a mini screen and its over 5 years old. The wife likes that. Have they resolved your issue with recording. I have asked for a replacement and i think I am now being ignored!

Socast
Journeyman
Options

No, I’m still unable to record scheduled programs on the replacement tv (the Qled), and the new tv has a problem that seems inherent to the new Qled series (the Q7 series anyway) in that when the screen is black and occasionally when the tv is on standby I have an electronic pulsing sound similar to a car alarm.

I’ve given up trying to fix my issue. I’ve been fighting with Samsung to resolve this since April 

2017, so after 8 months of going in circles and being fed lie after lie; the only thing I can do is give up.

If you want any indication on the level of support you can expect to receive from Samsung, take a quick look through this thread.. 1 comment from a moderator.. 1!!! And that was an apology for not replying sooner followed by a canned response that had zero follow up messages or interest.

Do yourself a favour, if you can, return your tv and buy an LG one.

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

It could be an issue with the USB bridge chip that the hard drive connects to, although some of the descriptions suggest otherwise, there may be more than one issue here.

What if you try a USB stick and test that for a few days, does this continue working?

I've had USB enclosures before that would crash and not work correctly until powered off and back on again, typcially after a few days.  If recording stops again with the drive, has anyone tried unplugging the drive from the USB socket and powering it down (if on an external brick) then reconnecting, in place of factory resetting the TV, i.e don't turn the TV off just unplug the drive?  Does this see it working again for a few days?  If yes it likely points to an incompatibility with the hard drive enclosure and may narrow down the issue.

Regards

Phil

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

It could be an issue with the USB bridge chip that the hard drive connects to, although some of the descriptions suggest otherwise, there may be more than one issue here.

What if you try a USB stick and test that for a few days, does this continue working?

I've had USB enclosures before that would crash and not work correctly until powered off and back on again, typcially after a few days.  If recording stops again with the drive, has anyone tried unplugging the drive from the USB socket and powering it down (if on an external brick) then reconnecting, in place of factory resetting the TV, i.e don't turn the TV off just unplug the drive?  Does this see it working again for a few days?  If yes it likely points to an incompatibility with the hard drive enclosure and may narrow down the issue.

Regards

Phil

I have tried all those solutions and no luck, It worked great when they changed the main board 4 weeks back, but only for 2 weeks. There is power going to the drived because time shift, pause and recording what you are watching all work. I was promised a call back from Samsung support last Sunday, still nothing, worst support ever!

Paul

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

It's very odd isn't it why it would work for a bit then stop.  Possible some software bug or corruption happening with some related internal database.  It could even be some odd bug introduced by the guide data, I think Plex had an update recently to stop corrupted data in the guide causing recordings to stop.  If they are looking to fix this bug by testing in South Korea for example using test streams and test equipment they will never replicate it, and as a software programmer myself, I know if you can't replicate it, the chances of fixing something are next to nothing.

Regards

Phil

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

It's very odd isn't it why it would work for a bit then stop.  Possible some software bug or corruption happening with some related internal database.  It could even be some odd bug introduced by the guide data, I think Plex had an update recently to stop corrupted data in the guide causing recordings to stop.  If they are looking to fix this bug by testing in South Korea for example using test streams and test equipment they will never replicate it, and as a software programmer myself, I know if you can't replicate it, the chances of fixing something are next to nothing.

Regards

Phil

Thing is it does not seem to be affecting all TV's just a few. I have had a new main board which worked for 2 weeks, then stopped. Martin Daws thinks it may be software, but I have the latest firm ware 1208.2 The pause and recording of a program I am watching works, so I thing a replacement TV because they seem to be having problems with this, which for such a large company is odd.

Again Samsung informed me via Facebook messenger that Samsung support would contact me last Sunday. Guess what, nothing. Martin Daws the people who changed the main board to try to repair the TV also contacted Samsung tech over 2 weeks ago, and again no reply (not even to their own contracted repairers). 

Thing is I have been dealing with Hewlett Packard, over a printer my son bought me 7 months ago, that had developed a fault. I spoke to them on the help line and after spending a bit of time running through tests they accepted there was fault, and ordered a replacement for me whilst on the phone and now I have a brand new replacement printer. It was easy and freindly and very professionaly dealt with. Now that is what I call service, brill, and I will now always buy from them and will always recommend them. Well done Hewlett Packard. 

How I wish Samsung were just half as good but this has been on going since August 2017, not very good at all.

0 Likes