Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE40NU7120 will not read USB stick or HDD

(Topic created on: 04-09-2018 06:01 PM)
Puffer-nutter
Apprentice
Options

A brand new TV and an old owner!  

This is my third SMART TV, so it's not that unique to me! But why can I not get the blessed thing to see the content of my HDD?

I initially thought it was a HDD problem, it can see it, but try Pause or Record and "Not Available" appears. I've tried formatting it in NTFS or FAT32, makes no difference!

I know, I'll use a memory stick, that will give us some "pause" time.

Plug a 4GB in, it sees it, no content (not unexpected as I deleted all the files), press "Pause" with confidence in front of the wife "Not Available", try Record "Not Available"

So what am I doing wrong????

Cheers

Peter

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
AndrewL
Options
Hi Peter

I've had a look into this and according to the user manual, USB memory sticks are not supported by the recording function and a USB hard drive with a speed of 5,400 rpm or above is recommended. The manual also recommends that you set the TV's clock if you have not already done so: Home > Settings > General > System Manager > Time > Clock. It is also important to note that it is only possible to record channels and programmes that are being received through an aeriel. Hope this helps.
0 Likes
Puffer-nutter
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for the reply. USB stick noted as not suitable for recording. The clock is set (well Auto ansyway) so good enough. The hard drive still doesn't work although it is recognised. I have a new drive coming tomorrow - fingers crossed!

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Puffer-nutter wrote:

Thank you for the reply. USB stick noted as not suitable for recording. The clock is set (well Auto ansyway) so good enough. The hard drive still doesn't work although it is recognised. I have a new drive coming tomorrow - fingers crossed!

Hi have you reported this to you retailer as a fault. It should read usb sticks,  and if your USB drive works on a PC it should work on your telly. It is important to report to your retailer as they are responsible under the consumer law. 
Do not let the magic 4 weeks pass without reporting. 

Paul

0 Likes
Puffer-nutter
Apprentice
Options

Latest update. USB stick can be seen and when loaded with an MP4 file and TV will play it. 

Brand new Sonics 320GB hard drive. Is seen by the computer, When loaded with an MP4 file can be seen and TV will play it. I still cannot record or pause.

Do I send this set back?

Peter

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Puffer-nutter wrote:

Latest update. USB stick can be seen and when loaded with an MP4 file and TV will play it. 

Brand new Sonics 320GB hard drive. Is seen by the computer, When loaded with an MP4 file can be seen and TV will play it. I still cannot record or pause.

Do I send this set back?

Peter

It should work correctly out of the box. I know Samsung have issues with scheduled recording. I had issues with a ks and q9f which would record what you are watching and pause but not scheduled recording. I was told that it was an issue that could not be repaired and I got a full refund. 

Paul

0 Likes
Puffer-nutter
Apprentice
Options

From a chat line with Samsung

"Thank you. Yes, this TV UE40NU7120 is not capable of recording unfortunately. You really need a recorder box if you want to record through the TV."

Sorry, how ***** a design is that?? A very retrograde step!

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Puffer-nutter wrote:

From a chat line with Samsung

"Thank you. Yes, this TV UE40NU7120 is not capable of recording unfortunately. You really need a recorder box if you want to record through the TV."

Sorry, how ***** a design is that?? A very retrograde step!

I suppose it says make sure you read the specs first. 

Paul

0 Likes
Puffer-nutter
Apprentice
Options

But this is a function that is not clear in the specs. It was Amazon, so it's just going back as non suitable and I'll go to a different make. Why they take such a useful function out beggars belief!

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Puffer-nutter wrote:

But this is a function that is not clear in the specs. It was Amazon, so it's just going back as non suitable and I'll go to a different make. Why they take such a useful function out beggars belief!

If you get a Samsung they do have issues with scheduled recording. I don't know if they have fixed it with the 2018 models. I found it worked for a couple of weeks then stopped recording. Time shift worked, and recording what you were watching.  Paul

0 Likes