cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on the new 2018 QLED TV?

(Topic created on: 03-05-2018 10:25 AM)
AntS
Options

I had the opportunity to learn more about and see the insides of one these: http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/highlights/ at one of the Samsung factories the other week. (The whole factory visit was genuinely a fascinating experience.) I spent much of the time feeling wowed – but then again I still vividly remember CRT tellies and that noise they made when they were turned on...

Anyone else seen one of the 2018 QLED’s in person? And any thoughts on features like Ambient Mode, the Near-Invisible cable, One Remote Control , SmartThings connectivity etc?

115 REPLIES 115
DefinitiveSound
Student
Options

Well after 6 months of emails and calls and the most appalling customer service regarding my Q9FN and after they admit the TV recording fault has been known. (I asked for all my recorded calls to be given to me and have the agent on more than one occasion admitting the fault to help with my refund) I sent the tv back for a full refund and will never buy Samsung again. Some won't use it to record and will use a PVR but it has twin tuners and this is how I want to record TV, Sony and Panasonic seem to work OK I'll be looking at the new ones that are coming out now and over the next couple of months.

0 Likes
SjorsK
Maestro
Options
Thanks for the advice 😄👍

I think that most downsides are adjustable with settings if they become too disturbing so I'm not too worried about it 😉 And if something is really bad I would probably go poke a few people about it.

Samsung really appreciates that kind of feedback. 😁

#Cantwait
Bobby76
Pioneer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

I have had  a 65ks9500,  q9f,  and even 900r 8k tv and all would not do scheduled recording. Funny thing is I have am alder Samsung 32 single tuner smart tv and Samsung freesat  duel recorded which both work  fine. 

Samsung exchanged the ks due to this issue. 

Agreed, I currently have 3 Samsung TV's in my home, all of which have hard drives plugged in, all of which have unreliable recording capabilities - including a QE55Q9F.  Before the Q9F I had a UE48JS9000 which also had the issue, I forget the previous model numbers I have owned, but they have never been reliable for this function for me over the last 6 years that I can remember.

For samsung to say a 'small number of users' it all seems a bit relative.  Here is some made up numbers to illustrate the point:

• Lets say they have a sample pool of 100 customers
  • However, 30 use the recording feature (because most probably use satellite recorders, catch up services, PVR's etc)
  • Out of 30, maybe 24 have issues
  • Out of 24 maybe 6 can be bothered to contact Samsung to complain because they are trying to rely on the functions

So, out of 100 customers - 6 have complained = 6% - hence Samsung say a 'small number of customers'

However

Out of 30 customers who use the function - 24 have issues = 80%

Out of 30 customers who use the function - 6 have complained = 20%

So, what I am suggesting is, Samsung argue its a small amount and mathematically thats true, depending on how kindly you look at it!!

Gfplux
Explorer
Options

There does seem to be an issue with unreliable recording.

This has happened with our four month old Q9 but only rarely.

so rare in fact that it can/could be put down to some extreme outside event. The TV is recording to a HUMAX Sat box. Could it be the sat box?

What other events could disrupt recording?

The last event was on Saturday when a “record whole series” had been set up at the beginning of the series was checked by my wife (yes showing red dot) before we left the house for the evening.

Yesterday settling in to watch the two episodes and they were not there!!!!!

0 Likes
Bobby76
Pioneer
Options

Ah, I imagine the humax sat box has a aerial or satellite cable directly attached doesn't it?

Usually that kind of box records directly from the cable as opposed to the TV. The TV just shows what the sat box receives (if that makes sense) so you aren't actually using the Samsung recording capability, the sat box is like a TV with no screen (in that it receives broadcast/satellite signals and has it's own tuner/reciever/programme guide etc.) The TV is just acting as a display panel.

Most of my experience with series link breaking in the way you describe is that it's not your equipment at fault.  The broadcaster embeds a code (content reference ID) in the signal that your humax looks for and when it sees it, it records.

If they change the ID then the link breaks. So, sometimes when they change time slots they mess it up and get the code wrong, sometimes when they add the word "New:" to a title they mess it up etc.  This happens more on broadcast and free TV than anywhere else I think.

Note sure if you are old enough to remember back in the days of taping programmes on videos, but paper based TV guides used to have a 5, 6 or 7 digit number after the tv show name for a while. This was the content reference ID for when video recorders got advanced enough to do series link in the late 80's. You tell the video recorder the code and it watched for the show starting then recorded it. The basic technology hasnt changed that much since then really, more fancy and complex these days, but essentially the same.

Hope this helps!

Gfplux
Explorer
Options

That sounds a plausible explanation except for one thing........

how can they be so incompetent? Messing up a code sounds more sabotage rather that just not doing the job properly.

It would let Samsung off the hook, so who do we blame?

Others have suggested that recording issues with Samsung has been around for a few years.

If the issue is either cause surely someone would sort it, or is it that neither party excepts it’s their fault.

Has anyone had this issue with other brands of TV’s?

I am certainly old enough to remember VHS (born 1944) Only an incompetent employee or a drunk consumer would get those numbers wrong :winking-face:

tranx
Pioneer
Options

Hi @Gfplux ,

I might have misunderstood, but you did say: "The TV is recording to a HUMAX Sat box". 

If that is the case, and as also mentioned above, any recording would really be made by the Humax itself

i.e. by using the Humax's own EPG and tuner/s, so that the Samsung TV would not be involved.

The problems described in this thread are mainly to do with Samsung TVs failing to record (to suitable hard drives or USB sticks) when programmes have been scheduled from the Samsung TVs' own EPGs.

Bobby76
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

Agreed, this is what I was trying to explain.

The Humax is doing the recording not the Samsung tv.

Gfplux - if you plug something less clever, like a memory stick, into the Samsung tv it can record straight to it. But...it does a bad job from a reliability stand point, that is what Samsung tv owners complain about. The failure rate is significantly higher than the occasional problem with your Humax box.

The problem you occasionally have is most likely either human failure at the broadcasters end with the codes, or, perhaps they sometimes HAVE to change the codes for some regulation or something like that which I'm not aware of. Either way, separate problem from the Samsung recording issue.

0 Likes
Gfplux
Explorer
Options

Just to repeat and clarify.

I have a Humax Satelite box with a hard drive for recording and a Satelite dish in the garden. (I live in Luxembourg)

The recording is made by using the screen of the Samsung Q9 TV to record individual programmes or series.

If as suggested “someone” is messing up the codes then it suggests it is not a hardware problem of the TV and the recorder.

However who is it that is messing up the codes. Are there multiple people and organisations involved in these codes or is it one central organisation. 

This thread is as you say about a (possible) fault with Samsung TV’s but could it be a TV programme code issue.

with two possible problems on the table it is easy for no one to take responsibility.

I am not a geek, just an old bloke with a wife who gets upset (very easily) when technology goes wrong and tends to blame me!

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Gfplux wrote:

Just to repeat and clarify.

I have a Humax Satelite box with a hard drive for recording and a Satelite dish in the garden. (I live in Luxembourg)

The recording is made by using the screen of the Samsung Q9 TV to record individual programmes or series.

If as suggested “someone” is messing up the codes then it suggests it is not a hardware problem of the TV and the recorder.

However who is it that is messing up the codes. Are there multiple people and organisations involved in these codes or is it one central organisation. 

This thread is as you say about a (possible) fault with Samsung TV’s but could it be a TV programme code issue.

with two possible problems on the table it is easy for no one to take responsibility.

I am not a geek, just an old bloke with a wife who gets upset (very easily) when technology goes wrong and tends to blame me!

It's not you,  I have had a ks9500,  q9f,  and even the latest 8k q900r,  and all failed on the recording scheduled recording. 

Samsung know about the problems,  but will not admit at first to anyone.  I have had all the TV's replaced,  and then refunded all monies. 

Now a very happy LG C8 owner. 

0 Likes