cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on the new 2018 QLED TV?

(Topic created on: 12-02-2019 09:35 AM)
AntS
Options

I had the opportunity to learn more about and see the insides of one these: http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/highlights/ at one of the Samsung factories the other week. (The whole factory visit was genuinely a fascinating experience.) I spent much of the time feeling wowed – but then again I still vividly remember CRT tellies and that noise they made when they were turned on...

Anyone else seen one of the 2018 QLED’s in person? And any thoughts on features like Ambient Mode, the Near-Invisible cable, One Remote Control , SmartThings connectivity etc?

115 REPLIES 115
tranx
Pioneer
Options

In that thread and '3 weeks ago' the mod @AntS said :-

{  Regarding the thread's main topic of having issues with scheduled recording, this is the statement I've been given:

“We are aware of a small number of customers facing difficulties when making scheduled recordings, especially when using “Series Link”.  We are investigating these complaints and will resolve them with a future software update.  We do not currently have a timeline for the release."  }

Yet with the F8000 Samsung CS even claimed in the end that there must have been something wrong with the transmissions! and someone else has said something similar here before. To my knowledge the complaints of such customers, including ourselves with both QE65Q9FNATXXU and the previous UE55F8000ST, have been made for least 6 years.

Therefore, at this very late stage, the statement remains much too vague and appears simply to be further obfuscation.

Clearly this a very longstanding issue and it is absurd for Samsung still to be 'investigating' and that Customer Services still claims not even to know that there is a problem - and what about the software updates for the historic models, F8000 etc?

The statement implies that there may be customers who are able to make scheduled recordings, but of course they would not complain so Samsung could not know if there were any. Therefore it might help for Samsung to discover whether forum members can make scheduled recordings...but maybe not...

It is quite possible that, just as our retailers and Samsung  CS have claimed by way of a sort of excuse, it may only be a (relatively) 'small number' of people who would want to do recordings at all. Yet those are the very customers who would have purchased their many and various Samsung TVs because they were claimed to possess comprehensive recording functions....Come on Samsung, why not give yourselves a deadline?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tranx wrote:

In that thread and '3 weeks ago' the mod @AntS said :-

{  Regarding the thread's main topic of having issues with scheduled recording, this is the statement I've been given:

“We are aware of a small number of customers facing difficulties when making scheduled recordings, especially when using “Series Link”.  We are investigating these complaints and will resolve them with a future software update.  We do not currently have a timeline for the release."  }

Yet with the F8000 Samsung CS even claimed in the end that there must have been something wrong with the transmissions! and someone else has said something similar here before. To my knowledge the complaints of such customers, including ourselves with both QE65Q9FNATXXU and the previous UE55F8000ST, have been made for least 6 years.

Therefore, at this very late stage, the statement remains much too vague and appears simply to be further obfuscation.

Clearly this a very longstanding issue and it is absurd for Samsung still to be 'investigating' and that Customer Services still claims not even to know that there is a problem - and what about the software updates for the historic models, F8000 etc?

The statement implies that there may be customers who are able to make scheduled recordings, but of course they would not complain so Samsung could not know if there were any. Therefore it might help for Samsung to discover whether forum members can make scheduled recordings...but maybe not...

It is quite possible that, just as our retailers and Samsung  CS have claimed by way of a sort of excuse, it may only be a (relatively) 'small number' of people who would want to do recordings at all. Yet those are the very customers who would have purchased their many and various Samsung TVs because they were claimed to possess comprehensive recording functions....Come on Samsung, why not give yourselves a deadline?

I have had  a 65ks9500,  q9f,  and even 900r 8k tv and all would not do scheduled recording. Funny thing is I have am alder Samsung 32 single tuner smart tv and Samsung freesat  duel recorded which both work  fine. 

Samsung exchanged the ks due to this issue. 

tranx
Pioneer
Options

For us the failure of our new QE65Q9FN to record scheduled recordings is very disappointing

but for me, and especially for PS4 games, the display is excellent.

I guess this is partly due to the large size of the screen but that it also results from 'Game Mode'.

Not sure about the technicalities but sound is also very good and Game Mode sets itself automatically when the PS4 comes on.

Compared with e.g. our Sony KD-49X8309C (2015) it produces an outstandingly clear picture with beautifully smooth movement - and I would say it's about twice as good!

0 Likes
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

Experience summed up in: LINK

0 Likes
endpoint101
Navigator
Options

@Mirko_Brand wrote:

Can't say that I've had much of an issue with the apps/menu system. The only problem was with the Channel 4 app, which was fixed by C4 themselves.

The main problem I have with the Q9FN is the light fluctuation in darker scenes with subtitles (described earlier in this thread).

0 Likes
berney
Explorer
Options

@endpoint101 wrote:

@Mirko_Brand wrote:

Can't say that I've had much of an issue with the apps/menu system. The only problem was with the Channel 4 app, which was fixed by C4 themselves.

The main problem I have with the Q9FN is the light fluctuation in darker scenes with subtitles (described earlier in this thread).

Same here

0 Likes
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

Glad you were able to resolve your initial issue.

With regards to the subtitles issue on dark scenes, yes this issue is also commonly known, through the forum (affecting every QLED).

In one topic someone filed a support issue ticket that is currently "under investigation" or some other *in progress* status.

If that sort of issue does not get fixed, than there is officialy no hope for the QLED lineup.

:hand-with-index-and-middle-fingers-crossed: that it also gets fixed as its disturbing.

0 Likes
SjorsK
Maestro
Options
I'm thinking about purchasing a Q9F soonish :smiling-face: It would be my best TV.... Ever ^-^ *Can't wait*
0 Likes
endpoint101
Navigator
Options

@SjorsK wrote:
I'm thinking about purchasing a Q9F soonish :smiling-face: It would be my best TV.... Ever ^-^ *Can't wait*

It's a good TV, but has its problems. Make sure you're okay with;

Light Fluctuations

Especially apparent with subtitles;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YizqGc8b0OY

Backlight Flicker and FALD confusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJLu_o2NPok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wWZOsKjDyY

Built-In Adverts (this video shows how to remove them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaWnm3Ji34Q

Good Stuff

You do get a Steam Link app for free, which is pretty decent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NqJ4iWzvYM

If you do buy it, you'll find some neat hidden buttons on the frame of the TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAVNeKFfY3M

Gfplux
Explorer
Options

I bought a  QE55Q9FNALXXN in December 2018

My wife and I like it a great deal. I would have no hesitation in recommending it. We do not game. We use it purely as a TV for Satelite programmes, Netflix and YouTube.